Menu

LeCreuset: Going to the OUTLET today....suggestions, pls!

dd29 and I are going to the Leesburg Outlets today -- She is going to the LeCreuset Outlet Store --

WHAT do I want to buy there? I've searched and read a few older threads so I see that one does not boil water in LC - is that so? So, will I keep my iron-clad cookware for that?

ETA: I am definitely thinking of starting with a Dutch Oven and a Stockpot -- has anyone used the stockpot? We boil alot of water here for pasta.

TIA

Edited by MariannNOVA

I have six of their dutch ovens. I love the oval one for cooking roasts. Their wok is great for a big stir-fry. Can you tell I love LeCreuset? I use mine every day! With those coupons, I think you're going to have to be reasonable and spend at least $300. You save more that way, right? :001_smile:

dd29 and I are going to the Leesburg Outlets today -- She is going to the LeCreuset Outlet Store --

WHAT do I want to buy there? I've searched and read a few older threads so I see that one does not boil water in LC - is that so? So, will I keep my iron-clad cookware for that?

ETA: I am definitely thinking of starting with a Dutch Oven and a Stockpot -- has anyone used the stockpot? We boil alot of water here for pasta.

TIA

Not boil water in them??? Why on earth would you not boil water in them? I do. I love all my Le Creuset. I don't think you can go wrong with any piece. Their non-stick frying pans are pretty durable, if I recall correctly.

What color are you going to get?

I have six of their dutch ovens. I love the oval one for cooking roasts. Their wok is great for a big stir-fry. Can you tell I love LeCreuset? I use mine every day! With those coupons, I think you're going to have to be reasonable and spend at least $300. You save more that way, right? :001_smile:

Yes, you have explained it well -- that is exactly the way I was going to tell DH about it -- it was the RIGHT thing to do!:lol:

Not boil water in them??? Why on earth would you not boil water in them? I do. THIS IS GOOD TO KNOW - ON THE THREAD I RESEARCHED, someone said they didn't boil water in them. That didn't make sense to me OR maybe it was just too early in the a.m. for me. I love all my Le Creuset. I don't think you can go wrong with any piece. Their non-stick frying pans are pretty durable, if I recall correctly.

What color are you going to get?[/QUOTE] Quandry!!!!!:confused: The AGA is Brick Red and the cabinets that arrive next week are Buttercream with a Chocolate Glaze --:svengo: -- I don't even have an outfit picked out!:tongue_smilie: I have no idea what color LC to buy! I was thinking the red to go with the AGA --:willy_nilly:. HELP!

You don't boil water in them because you really only want to go to medium heat on the stovetop. It just takes much longer that way.

Get the silicone handles. The spatulas and such are awesome, too. They can go to a much higher heat.

You don't boil water in them because you really only want to go to medium heat on the stovetop. It just takes much longer that way.

Get the silicone handles. The spatulas and such are awesome, too. They can go to a much higher heat.

Thank you -- wonderfully helpful!:)

TIA

definitely a dutch oven is a good place to begin. i got mine for christmas, and I LOVE IT. i made stew in it the other night and it was so, so good, but i have used it for many things and am truly impressed with the quality.

I boil water in mine, on medium heat. I agree it may take a few minutes longer, but my pasta comes out perfectly.

I go to the LeCreuset in Williamsburg when I'm at home. I don't see great deals, nothing more than I can get on sale at other stores, but they have a great selection. Let me know what you think of the Leesburg store, Mariann.

I boil water in mine, on medium heat. I agree it may take a few minutes longer, but my pasta comes out perfectly.

I go to the LeCreuset in Williamsburg when I'm at home. I don't see great deals, nothing more than I can get on sale at other stores, but they have a great selection. Let me know what you think of the Leesburg store, Mariann.

:crying: I couldn't go! My stomach is a mess - don't know what happened -- started last night, woke up okay, but not for long.

I told dd that even though tomorrow is the day before mother's day and the place will be a mad house, maybe if I can get out without the kids, she and I will go alone. I felt terrible disappointing her - she is cooped up so much and driving to leesburg is something she would not be able to do. So I am hoping that tomorrow we can do it.

I also have a 5 1/4 qt round french oven. I use it at least 4 times a week. It's a classic and a MUST if you are going to buy one piece of LC.

I just got the 12" frying pan with two pouring spouts. No lid. It is enameled cast iron -- the interior is BLACK enamel, though, not cream. It is really versatile. I baked chicken pieces in it last night. NOTHING sticks to it. It is SO easy to clean.

If I were able to buy a third piece, I'd probably get a square grill pan or panini pan with the press. I'm not sure if the grill pan and panini pan are the same or not.

ETA: ditto on the silicone handle covers. Also, if you plan on high-heat cooking with the dutch oven, get a $9 stainless knob replacement for the phenolic nob. It looks cool, too :) I have it because I use it for no-knead bread which requires a 500 degree pre-heat.

Another ETA: Get a silicone whisk. After I roast chicken or beef, I make a pan sauce from the fond. The wire whisk leaves little unsightly skiff marks in the bottom (which I know are harmless) but the silicone whisk will get rid of that problem.

Edited by BikeBookBread

It is illegal in most states to whack a neighbor over the head with your heavy duty enameled cast iron cookware, regardless of its color. It is certainly unfortunate, and we would all be right there with you pleading justifiable homicide, but please, if they show up, just step away from the skillet.

Terri

I also have a 5 1/4 qt round french oven. I use it at least 4 times a week. It's a classic and a MUST if you are going to buy one piece of LC.

I just got the 12" frying pan with two pouring spouts. No lid. It is enameled cast iron -- the interior is BLACK enamel, though, not cream. It is really versatile. I baked chicken pieces in it last night. NOTHING sticks to it. It is SO easy to clean.

If I were able to buy a third piece, I'd probably get a square grill pan or panini pan with the press. I'm not sure if the grill pan and panini pan are the same or not.

ETA: ditto on the silicone handle covers. Also, if you plan on high-heat cooking with the dutch oven, get a $9 stainless knob replacement for the phenolic nob. It looks cool, too :) I have it because I use it for no-knead bread which requires a 500 degree pre-heat.

.....and when are you moving to NOVA? I am going to OPEN HOUSES in Alexandria on Sunday. I've already told DH. We can live near each other and I'll let you use my LC........you don't own hedge clippers, do you?:lol:

It is illegal in most states to whack a neighbor over the head with your heavy duty enameled cast iron cookware, regardless of its color. It is certainly unfortunate, and we would all be right there with you pleading justifiable homicide, but please, if they show up, just step away from the skillet.

Terri

Honestly, an LC would be too good for them.......they are more deserving of, well, a styrofoam take out container from some tacky greasy spoon.:toetap05: And, I know exactly the place, but I won't write the name of it here.;)

.....and when are you moving to NOVA? I am going to OPEN HOUSES in Alexandria on Sunday. I've already told DH. We can live near each other and I'll let you use my LC........you don't own hedge clippers, do you?:lol:

59 days. AAAACKKKK!!!! I'M GOING CRAZY. I shouldn't be at this computer. I should be cleaning a closet! LOL!!!! Nope, no hedge clippers! In fact, I was wishing we had some the other day because I've been trying to trim my desert grasses - they're a pain.

I'd love to have a built-in neighbor and friend waiting for me!

59 days. AAAACKKKK!!!! I'M GOING CRAZY. I shouldn't be at this computer. I should be cleaning a closet! LOL!!!! Nope, no hedge clippers! In fact, I was wishing we had some the other day because I've been trying to trim my desert grasses - they're a pain.

I'd love to have a built-in neighbor and friend waiting for me!

From your lips to G-d's ears!

how-to-draw-lucy-van-pelt-from-the-peanuts-gang.jpg

Instead of a stockpot, think about a really big French oven. You can use it for more things. I bought a stockpot and then never used it--finally ended up returning it. The lady was very gracious and steered me towards a bigger French oven. It fit in my cupboards better and I can do roasts, etc. in it, unlike the stock pot. Loved it so much, I bought another one!

Thank you -- I will do that!:)

Wait, wait, wait...there's a Le Crueset outlet at Leesburg? For reals?!?! :auto:

Have FUN shopping! Jealous here! :D

ETA: I'm so, so sorry you're ill and can't shop! Bummer! Hopefully you can make it tomorrow. Feel well! And, I have hedge clippers. Electric ones, even. You're welcome to 'em. :lol:

Edited by ~Kirsten~

SIL has had a Dutch oven (probably 7-9 quarts) for years and loves it. It's a great piece.

I would not buy a LC pot to boil water for pasta unless it had a pasta insert, because it a large pot with all that water in it would just be too heavy to lift to the sink to drain. If I were you, I would lift each piece and try to imagine how heavy it will be with food in it. LC is durable, but it is very heavy.

GardenMom