Menu

Studying human body in grade 1

plain jane

I'm going to be using RSO Biology I for grade 1 next year. I have not ordered it yet, but the samples show that it starts off with human body.

I'd like to know if there are any hands-on manipulative-type stuff that others have used to enhance their human body studies or if nothing really is needed at this age.

I am trying to make science as hands-on and fun as possible next year. I do have The Body Book but was wondering if there was anything else you could recommend. A plastic model of the skeletal system?

When my older dd was in first grade, we used the the Teacher Created Resources My Body book--might be like The Body Book you mention. You outline the kids on butcher paper, then make copies of all of their organs and paste them on. This was the best thing we did for studying the human body. My girls also love The Magic School Bus DVD on the human body.

We used RSO Life this year (our second pass through biology). One thing I would recommend is changing the order around a bit, depending on where you live. Our first time through biology using Noeo, we did animals in fall, human body in winter, and plants in spring. That order works out much better than RSO's human body, animals, plants (at least here in Oregon.) This year with RSO we were supposed to study some bugs and critters in winter that just aren't around that time of year. Luckily we noticed that the butterfly week would hit in the middle of winter and we did that one in summer, but there were also weeks when we were supposed to find spiders or pill bugs and that would have worked much better in fall.