Menu

What did dh get for you and what did you give dh for your 20th wedding anniversary?

Our 20th anniversary is May 12th. I have some ideas but was wondering if there was anything else to consider? We can't take a trip for we have no one to watch the kids or rather no one I trust to watch my kids for more than a day or so.

We went to Mexico. With the kids in tow! That part wasn't supposed to happen but my mom's plans to babysit for us fell through and there wasn't anyone else. It turned out to be a very different kind of trip than I had planned originally (*ahem*) but it was SO GREAT in a different way. We had such a blast and it was a big deal trip for us to take - great memories!

We went to Mexico. With the kids in tow! That part wasn't supposed to happen but my mom's plans to babysit for us fell through and there wasn't anyone else. It turned out to be a very different kind of trip than I had planned originally (*ahem*) but it was SO GREAT in a different way. We had such a blast and it was a big deal trip for us to take - great memories!

Sounds like a great time. For me, my mom is recovering from knee replacement surgery so she can't travel for a couple of months and my sister is just finishing up her senior year in college and although she said she would watch the kids I know she is very worn out and just wants to chill for a week or 2 kwim. Then if we postpone our anniversary trip it just won't happen for we have several things planned this summer and fall that are fun family trips we want to take before baby boy #1 goes off to college in next year. So that brings me back to the what.

Let me run this idea by you ladies. My dh although he would like an Ipod he would never buy himself one, He did mention that that he would like one. I thought I'd get one and load it up with all his favorite music from the 70's and 80's.

Haha, you really wanna know? Let me tell you, it was WAY different than I thought years ago when I looked ahead to what our 20th would be like!

Nothing.

On the actual day of our 20th I was in the hospital with my parents all day. DH was at my parents house with our kids, working on fixing and updating their computer. :)

My mom had been waiting and waiting and waiting for them to schedule a needed surgery, and had been telling me how much she wanted me there whenever it was. I told her I'd be happy to be there! Then she called, "They finally scheduled my surgery! It's on March 20!" March 20 of that year was our 20th Anniversary! So, dh and I decided to use the little money we had to drive there (6 hour drive) and spend some time there to help out. We got them some groceries and parts needed to fix the printer and computer.

So that's what we did for our 20th. It wasn't all that bad. They definitely needed us at that time, so I'm glad we could do that!

HOWEVER, now I'm looking to our 25th, and HOPING we can do something special for it! :D

Let me run this idea by you ladies. My dh although he would like an Ipod he would never buy himself one, He did mention that that he would like one. I thought I'd get one and load it up with all his favorite music from the 70's and 80's.

I think that's a great gift!

I think the ipod w/songs sounds great.

I know a woman had a totem pole made for her DH for an important anniversary. It was just gorgeous and filled with animals that were symbolic to their life and children.

He gave her a pair of running sneakers. :glare:

She said they don't do anniversary presents anymore. ;)

The preloaded i-pod sounds like a very thoughtful gift. I know I would be very touched that someone picked out my music for me.

For our 20th, I surprised MrTea by having him picked up from work in a stretch limo. He's a factory worker in a small town, so this was a funny sight for 200+ shift workers pouring out of the building at 3pm on a weekday, all wondering what the limo was doing out front. The limo owner/driver is a friend of ours, but he had dressed formally like any chauffer job and stepped out and motioned for my husband to get in. Normally my husband walks or bicycles, so the limo ride was a huge surprise and fun treat.

Driver took us to our house, where MrTea showered and got ready to go out and eat. I remember he just kept saying "I can't believe you did this. It's so cool!" Meanwhile, the driver took my kids through the fast food drive-thru and bought their supper for them. The kids got dropped back off at home, and then the two of us hopped back in the limo to go out and eat. I think we went to a sports bar. Or maybe we had Mexican food. :confused: Something less than formal, I know that.

It was probably more hokey than romantic, but that's really more our style anyways.

Happy Anniversary!

I think that's an awesome idea! Do you think he'd like an iTouch instead? The refurished ones don't cost all that much more and still can be loaded with tons of great music. But then on top of that some movies, books, and tons of apps he might like. Just a thought!

I think the best gifts are the ones that you know are their hearts desire but they just can't spend the money on themselves to buy. I was that way with my iPod and it was a great surprise from DH last year!

Haha, you really wanna know? Let me tell you, it was WAY different than I thought years ago when I looked ahead to what our 20th would be like!

Nothing.

On the actual day of our 20th I was in the hospital with my parents all day. DH was at my parents house with our kids, working on fixing and updating their computer. :)

My mom had been waiting and waiting and waiting for them to schedule a needed surgery, and had been telling me how much she wanted me there whenever it was. I told her I'd be happy to be there! Then she called, "They finally scheduled my surgery! It's on March 20!" March 20 of that year was our 20th Anniversary! So, dh and I decided to use the little money we had to drive there (6 hour drive) and spend some time there to help out. We got them some groceries and parts needed to fix the printer and computer.

So that's what we did for our 20th. It wasn't all that bad. They definitely needed us at that time, so I'm glad we could do that!

HOWEVER, now I'm looking to our 25th, and HOPING we can do something special for it! :D

Oh, I understand this. On our 8th anniversary, in 1988, we were sleeping in the family lounge of the hospital where my Mom was. About 1 week later she passed away and is now in the presence of the King. Such an emotional time. We were meant to be there.

Now, fast forward to our 19th, 11 years ago, my dh gave me a small diamond eternity ring. I really like it....not big cut diamonds, but smaller ones. Nonetheless there are genuine diamonds. :D

Now fast forward again 9 years to our 30th is in a few months this Oct.....planning.

Sheryl <><

Edited by sheryl

WE did take a trip and took our girls. It was fantastic. We were living in Belgium then and we drove down to Venice, got on a cruise of the Mediterranean for 8 days, picked the car up and went off on a driving tour through Slovenia, Hungary, SLovakia, Poland, and back through Germany to Belgium. It was really great and on the cruise we got some alone time together.

This year, for our 25th, we are going on another great trip. This time we are flying to Wyoming and taking in the Northern Rockies of both the US and Canada. Again we are taking the girls.

In five years, our 30th, we won't have any young ones at home and will go on a great trip by ourselves.

we are taking a cruise with our teens, they have their own room and are old enough to enjoy the ship without us, we originally were going to an island but really decided we want the boys to take a trip with us, so we have time alone on the ship and get to take the great port excursions with the boys

I am also looking for a new ring. I haven't had a ring in over 10 years, mine was lost a work and just never got around to replacing the thing

Oh and my 20th is on July 7

TODAY is our 20th wedding anniversary and we have no money!! not sure what we're doing - I guess nothing...so sad, we had so many plans but times have been so hard for us lately, hopefully we'll make up for it on our 25th!

I love the ipod idea. :)

Can you bake his favorite cake or cook special food? Can the kids stay with someone for a couple of hours in the evening so you can have an evening without kids at home?

As far as OP's question goes, ipod sounds nice and perhaps a movie/dinner/evening out?