Menu

Michael Clay Thompson Language Arts

Embassy

There have been lots of threads on this, both on this board and on the main one. You might check there if you don't get many responses to this.

I also reviewed it on my blog recently. I can't say enough good things about it, and would have no hesitation in recommending it to you.

I think it is outstanding and worth the investment. There are many threads about this program which you can access for detailed replies. I personally have invested in many different programs, all of which resulted in disappointment. I have not been disappointed with MCT. It is thorough and rigorous but not mind-numbingly repetitive or boring. In short, it's great!

We use it and love it, too. DS and I are working through Level 4. Levels 5 & 6 are already on the shelf for future use.

Do a search for MCT, MCTLA, Royal Fireworks Press and RFWP. Before you do, however, I would get a big cup of soda, make sure the kids have lunch and something to do because you will have more reading than you will know what to do with.

• 2 weeks later...

I also reviewed it on my blog recently. I can't say enough good things about it, and would have no hesitation in recommending it to you.

I just read your review on your blog. You mentioned that the teacher manuals are essentially the same as the student book, with additional notes. Since we're on a budget, I'm planning to buy only the teacher manuals. Could you tell me if the font is much smaller in the teacher manuals in order for the student work to fit? Or is the font the same as the separate student book? I'm hoping that the font is the same so that I don't have to buy the student books separately.

Could you tell me if the font is much smaller in the teacher manuals in order for the student work to fit? Or is the font the same as the separate student book? I'm hoping that the font is the same so that I don't have to buy the student books separately.

In the books that we have purchased, the font is the same with teacher notes on the corners of pages or otherwise out of the way on the page. The RFWP website is great about instructing you in the books where you can purchase only the teacher materials versus where you need both books.

Hi! We did Level 1 (Grammar Island and Music of the Hemispheres) with our 2nd grader this year. We finished both books in about 8 weeks, maybe?

She was so-so with Grammar Island. She liked it and I think she learned a lot. I just don't think learning all the parts of speech was what she wanted to do with her time. :tongue_smilie: She really liked the Building Sentences exercises - where they put together words from a list and form goofy sentences. She was having a blast with that.

She also really liked Music of the Hemispheres (that's the intro to poetry). She actually had tears in her eyes during one of the poems one day (yeah, can you imagine the look on MY face - LOL!). Anyway, MOTH was a big hit and now I'm thinkin' that she likes poetry... :glare:

In the books that we have purchased, the font is the same with teacher notes on the corners of pages or otherwise out of the way on the page. The RFWP website is great about instructing you in the books where you can purchase only the teacher materials versus where you need both books.

Thank you, that's exactly what I was hoping for and the website does provide a lot of information, including what books to purchase if on a budget, but nothing about font size. I had this concern because Miquon's Annotated Lab Notes use a small font with the student practice section. Thanks again for taking the time to respond to me.

You are welcome! I wish I would have known that before I invested in the whole set! :001_smile: At least I know now for future purchases.

It's funny, but here I am, about to start Voyage level, sort of wishing that I had Student books for Essay Voyage and the Poetry book. Sometimes I think I have underestimated the positive of having a second book. So, you shouldn't ALWAYS go with the basic, or regret getting extras. JMHO.

I will most likely buy them.

The higher level books are quite different, and as such have a different set of books you will NEED. The Basic package still looks pretty good, but I might end up springing for the supreme package.

The MCT LA books are by far my favorite HS curriculum dollars spent and I have never regretted any purchase. :D

I *love* MCT. My kids like it too! I started at the very beginning (Island Level) with an LD 13 yr. old (who is great at grammar) and an 11 yr. old. and even though they admitted it was "childish" they would laugh out loud at the jokes and liked the art. They were often disappointed when I ended a lesson, and even asked to do practice sentences on their own. How many grammar books inspire that? We are ready to move up to the next level, and I have every confidence in the program. I have continued their grade level work in R&S (orally), but as soon as we catch up with MCT we will be dropping R&S and going solely with MCT. I will start my 9 yr. old with Island level in the fall as his only L.A. (well, maybe we'll finish up WWE; not sure)

Thanks for answering the earlier question about teacher's books. I don't think both student and teacher books were necessary for the Island level, but I have heard that they are more important to have in the upper levels, perhaps because the student has more independent work to do and needs a copy that doesn't include all the answers.

Thanks for answering the earlier question about teacher's books. I don't think both student and teacher books were necessary for the Island level, but I have heard that they are more important to have in the upper levels, perhaps because the student has more independent work to do and needs a copy that doesn't include all the answers.

Not just that but in the upper levels some of the teacher books contain the answers only and none of the text.