Menu

Why do they allow kids jackets with drawstrings to be sold?

I get an email from cpsc.gov about recalls several times a week. I specifically get emails about children's items. At least once weekly, I get an email with a recall for "Children's Hooded Jackets with Drawstrings Recalled by xxx Due to Strangulation Hazard"

Why do we have laws to prevent dangerous products to be sold, if there isn't even anything done to stop them from hitting the shelves? I wonder if they started fining stores that sold the offending items (items that can be determined to be a safety hazard by a visual inspection) if that would make a difference?

ETA: after posting I researched more and caught an error in the way I worded my question. I found that it is not a 'law' but a 'voluntary standard'. http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PUBS/208.pdf published in 1999. So, while the item can be put on the market, they will then in turn be recalled just on the basis of the drawstring.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I get an email from cpsc.gov about recalls several times a week. I specifically get emails about children's items. At least once weekly, I get an email with a recall for "Children's Hooded Jackets with Drawstrings Recalled by xxx Due to Strangulation Hazard"

Just wondering at what age the government thinks that a child can cope with a piece of string.

Laura

Just wondering at what age the government thinks that a child can cope with a piece of string.

Laura

size 2-12 for around the neck

size 2-16 for around the waist

They are an entrapment/strangulation hazard on thinks like slides, doors, and cribs and had led to deaths and injuries. "From January 1985 through January 1999, CPSC received reports of 22 deaths and 48 non-fatal incidents" (quote from above linked article.)

I guess it seems important to me because ds was a baby when the regulations were going into effect. I am sure I was subjected to a lot of media about the danger.

But, even still, the danger is real and easily remedied by using a bit of elastic in stead of loose strings.

Laura

Me too but I think it is because 16 is a size that is sold in kids departments so they are often the same style. I don't know if you have lived in the US but our sizes are often grouped:

Newborn-24mths (baby styled clothes)

2T-6T (toddler sized with simple styles)

6-16 (generally age based age 6- age 14ish usually pre-teen styles a middle ground between little kid clothes and teen styles.)

Styles are sold in several sizes and are typically grouped by these age/size groups. There are a few exceptions like you can sometimes find size 36mths but not always.

Since size 6 clothes are often on playgrounds, the size 16 clothes are grouped in the no-drawstring rules too.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I still wonder when we lost the ability to figure these things out for ourselves?! Since my kids were babies I could look at stuff and tell it was going to be recalled, and sure enough months later it was on the recall list. I have a friend that is even better at that than I am.

Lol! :lol:

What would we do without the government to protect us from ourselves?

I still wonder when we lost the ability to figure these things out for ourselves?! Since my kids were babies I could look at stuff and tell it was going to be recalled, and sure enough months later it was on the recall list. I have a friend that is even better at that than I am.

When my first child was born, my mother was constantly asking me about strings in my dd's clothing. It turns out my mom had a very good reason for her concern. I was about five when our neighbors' daughter, who was two years younger and also named "Lisa," died when the strings on the hood of her jacket got caught on the slide. My mother had given them the jacket when I outgrew it.

No one involved was "stupid," "uncaring," or "negligent." They were very young parents with their first children. I come from a caring, well-educated background. I think of myself as a savvy consumer who is forever researching anything involved with my kids. Yet I still made mistakes with my childrens' safety. Raising children is a lifelong learning process and none of us comes with all the answers.

I am grateful for government regulation regarding car seat usage, lead paint on toys, and other safety issues. I don't see how strings in childrens' clothing is any different.

Now I do draw the line with web cams installed on student computers or tracking devices in student bags.:D

I am grateful for government regulation regarding car seat usage, lead paint on toys, and other safety issues. I don't see how strings in childrens' clothing is any different.

It's a shame it has to regulate clothing up to size 16; for little ones I think it's a very good idea.

Laura

I think with the bigger sizes it is about strings being caught in car door and the driver dragging whoever is attached to said strings. It doesn't take a long drag to severely injure or kill a teenager. And a teenaged driver might not think to wait until his/her friend is far away from the car.

I think with the bigger sizes it is about strings being caught in car door and the driver dragging whoever is attached to said strings. It doesn't take a long drag to severely injure or kill a teenager. And a teenaged driver might not think to wait until his/her friend is far away from the car.

There have been several instances of the strings getting caught on school buses as the child exited and then being dragged for several blocks.

There have been several instances of the strings getting caught on school buses as the child exited and then being dragged for several blocks.

This has happened with scarves too. I never let my kids wear them when they were younger.

I understand that a drawstring around the neck being a bad idea. But why is a bad idea to have them around the waist?

More likely to get caught in a car door, on a slide or playground equipment I would guess.

size 2-12 for around the neck

size 2-16 for around the waist

That explains why I can't find an actual drawstring on a pair of pants for my younger dd. It's so hard to find stretch-style pants for her because she's so thin. I have to take in sweatpants from Target 3 inches in the waist.

So many places sell pants with a fake drawstring on them. Such a tease! I would be happy if they at least left the waist open all the way around so I could put in my own drawstring or elastic, but it's usually sewn shut.

More likely to get caught in a car door, on a slide or playground equipment I would guess.

Hm, I guess if they were really long. I've just never seen any drawstrings in the waist of pants that would be long enough to allow for that? I have really skinny kids, and I often feel that drawstrings would save me a lot of time in altering their workout pants.

o many places sell pants with a fake drawstring on them. Such a tease! I would be happy if they at least left the waist open all the way around so I could put in my own drawstring or elastic, but it's usually sewn shut.

See-this is what makes me wonder, I see them with fake drawstrings all the time. Why would that be better than a real drawstring if the concern is that it might get caught in a car door?

See-this is what makes me wonder, I see them with fake drawstrings all the time. Why would that be better than a real drawstring if the concern is that it might get caught in a car door?

Maybe because it wouldn't cinch up and compress the internal organs? Or maybe because they are a predetermined length that are short enough to not catch on things as easily?

Hm, I guess if they were really long. I've just never seen any drawstrings in the waist of pants that would be long enough to allow for that? I have really skinny kids, and I often feel that drawstrings would save me a lot of time in altering their workout pants.

I don't even like drawstrings in my pants. LOL But it is because I will slip them off and leave them tied. Then they go through the wash, and the tied spot gets so tight I can't get it undone. If I untie them before I wash them, they can come out of the pants all together. One of my favorite hanging out around the house pair of pants has a draw string only. It has migrated to the bottom of the stack, because I rarely wear them. I guess I am just too high maintenance! LOL

The longer the drawstring the stronger it will be and more likely to keep the kid hanging by it, if it gets caught. A short fake drawstring will come apart at the seam and just rip off the jacket. A long one that goes around the body where the pressure of it being pulled by a car is spread out on the distance of the string will be able to withstand the pull of a child's weight on it. (and hence keep the kid in tow if it's caught on a vehicle)

I worked in the apparel industry when this CPSC drawstring warning first came out and I remember working on the re-designs of hooded sweatshirts and such at that time.

I'm fairly certain that all of my children would be safer if they wore helmets as they walked to their friends' houses. After all, they could get hit by a car, and the helmet would *surely* save some lives. We should legislate for that too, because it appears that almost no parents at all seem able to make the "correct" decision about that for themselves.

I fully understand that there can be some danger involved in some things, I just don't know where the line should be drawn by someone else "for my/my children's own good", kwim?

I'm fairly certain that all of my children would be safer if they wore helmets as they walked to their friends' houses. After all, they could get hit by a car, and the helmet would *surely* save some lives. We should legislate for that too, because it appears that almost no parents at all seem able to make the "correct" decision about that for themselves.

I fully understand that there can be some danger involved in some things, I just don't know where the line should be drawn by someone else "for my/my children's own good", kwim?

:iagree:

FTR, I STILL don't consider drawstrings in jackets or pants to be potentially deadly.

FTR, I STILL don't consider drawstrings in jackets or pants to be potentially deadly.

I don't like government over-regulation myself, but drawstrings in children's clothing have caused deaths. Of course, so has pretty much anything else- riding bike, walking down the street, etc.

I don't think it's unreasonable to make toddler clothes without drawstrings. But up to size 16? That seems a bit overkill.