Menu

Give me the run-down on grammar stage chemistry, please.

Annabel Lee

I must have the opposite of the other thread up right now about "addictive curriculum shopping". I don't want the headache and I don't want to go around in circles of indecision.

So, can anyone tell me about grammar stage chemistry programs you've used or chosen? I'd love to find one that is fun, uses hands-on experiments that work, covers the most topics about chem (of all the grammar stage programs) and goes the most in depth with them... you know, the perfect one. :D Which one is this by your interpretation, and why?

R.E.A.L. Chemistry level 1 (pandia press) looks "just OK". I also looked at RS4K Pre-Level 1 and Level 1. I'll have a 4th grader and a 2nd grader... Pre-1 is for K-3. Which would you use in this situation? Can RS4K Chem be done one level after another, back to back in order to learn more? I thought of that b/c people are always saying RS4K doesn't take a whole school year. Ellen McHenry's site looks really cool. I want my boys to enjoy and learn plenty from whatever I pick. I don't want anything too childish or that talks down to them - but I think the DNA stuff at the end of RS4K Level 1 would be over ds6's head.

What says the hive? :bigear:

We've been working through RSO Chemistry this year and you're right, it's just okay. Ellen McHenry's program is SO much better (I bought it after being disappointed with RSO), and even though I don't think it's long enough for a full year (we didn't need nearly that long to get through it) I would recommend that one. We added in living books from the NOEO booklist- I HIGHLY recommend the Fizz, Bubble, Flash book mentioned above- and I feel like we had a nicely rounded out chemistry year.

The thing with RSO is some of the stuff in it seemed like busy work, some of the experiments didn't turn out like the TM said they should (still good for building observation skills, but a bit awkward when the TM prompts you to say such and such when it didn't actually happen :tongue_smilie:). Also, I found the writing a bit more watered down that I would prefer.

Another really nice compliment to the above is the book, Exploring the World of Chemistry. It's a bit tough for a young reader to do on their own, but it's been wonderful as a read aloud and I've been really impressed with how much my dc understood in it. There are questions at the end of each chapter to help sum up the text. I never used them as tests, but we did go over them so I could see what their understanding was. It may look a bit dry initially, but if you're doing it with another program, a lot of the material will be familiar (and built on) so it's really not all over their heads.

Ellen McHenry's chem programs are awesome and totally do-able by a bright 4th grader. They are a bit advanced for most 2nd graders, however. You know your child best and certainly there are 2nd graders who can handle the material. My recommendation would be to see if you can find a copy to look through before purchasing.

I like Noeo as it uses living books, most of which I got from the library.

I like Real Science 4 Kids, but not as much as Noeo.

Did not like Christian Kids Chemistry...or whatever it was called by Bright Ideas Press...my dc were bored to tears.

I also think you could do well with just buying kits and having some hands on fun!

I'm going to use Adventures with Atoms and Molecules, which is what SWB recommends in TWTM.

Tara

We add in Fizz, Bubble, and Flash for little experiments that go with the elements--it's fantastic and fun!

You could add in a few biographies of chemists, too.

Elemental Science has all of the above covered. It schedules these for you and provides student pages.

Shoot, how could I have forgotten about NOEO? I just looked at a friends copy over spring break. I checked out that Fizz, Bubble, and Flash book from the library just to look through it and I will be buying that one just for a fun add-on. I also forgot about Adventures and Elemental! Agggh! It's happening! Too many choices. I guess I've got my work cut out for me. I have to go look at online samples and see if my library or anyone locally IRL has any to look through.

RSO = R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey, correct? I have their Earth & Space we're using this year and we add a lot to it. I took a quick peek at their Chem, and it seems sort of meh.

Before I forget, I've got 2 more questions on this topic. Has anyone used AIG's God's Design Chemistry, and if so, what do you think of it for 2nd and 4th graders? What kind of microscope would be needed to see atoms and parts of atoms and the molecular structure of elements/compounds? Is that even something "regular folk" can afford?

It sounds like you are wanting to go more in depth than what we are doing.

I don't know... I'm just grasping at straws in the dark. I don't actually know much about chemistry myself, I'm just extremely curious and would love to see it all "for real", up close. unfortunately my curiousity isn't always contagious and the kids aren't always as into exploring things as I am. I suspect the cost of such a tool might outweigh the benefit that we'd be using it for (just to look and go "Oh, cool!"). I'll look into it. Hopefully I'll be surprised by some low-cost one out there.

What kind of microscope would be needed to see atoms and parts of atoms and the molecular structure of elements/compounds? Is that even something "regular folk" can afford?

You would need a sophisticated electron microscope and I'm pretty sure that's not something the average person could easily obtain/afford. That said, you could google the particular atom/molecule and probably find some pictures that you could share with your kids, although they probably won't think it's as cool as you do :D.

You would need a sophisticated electron microscope and I'm pretty sure that's not something the average person could easily obtain/afford.

If you have a college near you, you could always call up their science dept. and see if they'd be willing to give you a tour of their labs including a peek at their microscopes.

I must have the opposite of the other thread up right now about "addictive curriculum shopping". I don't want the headache and I don't want to go around in circles of indecision.

So, can anyone tell me about grammar stage chemistry programs you've used or chosen? I'd love to find one that is fun, uses hands-on experiments that work, covers the most topics about chem (of all the grammar stage programs) and goes the most in depth with them... you know, the perfect one. :D Which one is this by your interpretation, and why?

R.E.A.L. Chemistry level 1 (pandia press) looks "just OK". I also looked at RS4K Pre-Level 1 and Level 1. I'll have a 4th grader and a 2nd grader... Pre-1 is for K-3. Which would you use in this situation? Can RS4K Chem be done one level after another, back to back in order to learn more? I thought of that b/c people are always saying RS4K doesn't take a whole school year. Ellen McHenry's site looks really cool. I want my boys to enjoy and learn plenty from whatever I pick. I don't want anything too childish or that talks down to them - but I think the DNA stuff at the end of RS4K Level 1 would be over ds6's head.

What says the hive? :bigear:

Hello,

My oldest dd has been crazy about chemistry for awhile now. She has done various experiments and checked out many, many books on the topic from the library. Being a highly visual learner, she has really appreciated RS4K, both the Pre-Level and Level 1. She has also greatly enjoyed The Elements, which goes a tad bit deeper than RS4K and involves some history of science. When asked to choose between the two, dd can’t, she loves them equally.

We also have the Tiner book, but dd is engaged with The Story of Science and The Milestones in Science kit at the moment. I think she has been so involved in Chemistry for so long that she may be tiring of it, just a little. This year, we tried Noeo, but it was not a huge hit. My oldest was bored with the experiments, despite loving the books, so I sold it to buy the Thames and Kosmos kit, as well as three other kits that were on sale for the younger kids, so I would say we got our moneys worth from the sale. My younger dd did not like Noeo either, but she loves RS4K, so maybe it’s just a personality thing with my kids. That being said, I am looking longingly at Noeo Physics and I hear they are coming out with the third level soon, so maybe we will try another topic from them, who knows. I love the idea of Noeo, the whole CM method really appeals to me.

I can’t answer when it comes to the other programs you have mentioned. But I think that there are a lot of good early chemistry programs out there, and we are very fortunate to have so many to choose from.

Best wishes on finding what works for you. (I feel like I am quoting Lori. D- that’s what she always says, right? ) :lol: It’s so true, what works for you may be different than what works for another person, but that’s what makes us individuals. Thank goodness we can pick and choose the materials our children study!