Menu

Best place to live outside of Oakland CA

I live near Oakland, and travel a lot through Contra Costa and Alameda counties. Can you be more specific about what you are looking for? How far are you willing to be from Oakland? Renting or buying? Is price an issue? Are you looking for urban, suburban or country living? Do you prefer newer tract housing or older neighborhoods with more charm? Your dds are teens - will you be homeschooling through high school, or will your school district be important? Sorry not to answer directly - it's just that there are so many options!

Can you be more specific about what you are looking for? Sorry not to answer directly - it's just that there are so many options!

:iagree:

It's hard to give suggestions when we don't know what kinds of things you are looking for in a neighborhood.

We just moved to the East Bay and one of our major criteria was that it had to be a reasonable commute on BART to S.F. We also wanted to stay away from the Hayward Fault as that's the one that has the highest risk at the moment for a major quake. So we wound up buying in Central Contra Costa County.

Sorry, I wanted city living, good for walking to everything. Either something w/bayview or victorian charm. Just a rental.

Need to be w/in 30 min drive from Oakland.

Needs to be super safe. Public trans. is not an issue and hsing is not an issue.

Sorry, I wanted city living, good for walking to everything. Either something w/bayview or victorian charm. Just a rental.

Need to be w/in 30 min drive from Oakland.

Needs to be super safe. Public trans. is not an issue and hsing is not an issue.

City living as in "culture"?

Then I'd look or a place in North Berkeley in the "Gourmet Ghetto." In walking distance of the original Peet's Coffee, the Cheese Board (one of the best cheese shops ever) and Chez Pannise.

A walking distance from Cal.

Butthere are many (many) nice areas in the East Bay.

Bill

Is whereever you need to communte to in Oakland near the BART system? If so, I'd check San Francisco. You wouldn't even need a car then. It can be expensive, but there are parts that are cheaper....it's safe, it's got more culture than you can do in a lifetime, getting around is uber-easy without a car (in fact if you won't live without a car don't do SF, as a parking space is sometime more costly than an apartment!). When you do need a car because you're leaving the Bay Area you rent it for the day or weekend you want it.

If SF isn't for you....try going south from Oakland down the 17/Nimitz to Castro Valley, San Leandro, Hayward, Union City, Fremont, Newark....they're all bedroom communities, a reasonable commute to Oakland via car or BART.....not so much a bay view, but you'll pay through the nose for that anywhere.

El Cerrito has some good places....Berkeley is a college town so rents can be relatively cheap if you can handle the college atmosphere. Into Contra Costa (Concord, Walnut Creek, Lafayette, etc) is going to be safe but more expensive, and no bay view.

Someone else mentioned Emeryville....be sure to ask around about different neighborhoods as that town has a lot of bad pockets. In the good parts, it's great. Also check out the Oakland Hills.....gorgeous houses, away from Oakland proper it's relatively safe. We lived on Sunnyhills for a couple years and it was safe enough that people let their kids play in the front yards.

Livermore is a bit further than a 30 minute commute and Tracy is double that.

Because DH was career military we have lived in a lot of different places....somehow the SF Bay Area is where I always think of "home".

City living as in "culture"?

Then I'd look or a place in North Berkeley in the "Gourmet Ghetto." In walking distance of the original Peet's Coffee, the Cheese Board (one of the best cheese shops ever) and Chez Pannise.

A walking distance from Cal.

Butthere are many (many) nice areas in the East Bay.

Bill

We had friends that used to live in that area and it was very beautiful! Lots of good food, beautiful streets to walk down and the smell of Jasmine wherever you went.

Diane

We lived in Fremont for awhile. Nice area! It had lots of bike paths and beautiful areas to walk and bike. We REALLY missed that when we came up here!

There's Union City, which is closer to the Bay. Hayward also.

Before dh and I got married, I lived in Union City. But see, that was over 22 years ago, so I am not sure what it's like there now. We moved from Fremont about 20 years ago.

I agree with Berkeley (the Gourmet Ghetto is really fabulous-a meal at Saul's followed by a trip to the cheeseboard is my idea of a great morning/afternoon) Walnut Creek or Emeryville if you want city living within 30 minutes of Oakland. Technically, San Francisco fits the bill too, but the nice areas are pretty pricey.