Menu

Vegans, I need dessert help.

I need gourmet dessert ideas that vegans would be glad (or maybe even overjoyed) to see on a restaurant menu.

So far, I'm thinking about Peach and Almond Spring Rolls, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and served with warm caramel dipping sauce and chocolate dipping sauce. That's dependent upon me actually finding the vegan spring roll wrappers that I've been told exist.

I need more ideas.

Maybe Maple-roasted Pears with candied walnut/raisin filling?

I dunno. I need help brainstorming. :bigear:

We go to a restaurant that has something kind of similar:

http://www.wheelofliferestaurant.com/menudesserts.html (fried banana w/ coconut ice cream). I think this type of dessert could be done more "professional" and be amazing. The pears sound delicious.

Other than that we love to find things like cheesecake (not plain, but with some fruit and artistic love, and cannoli.

Scroll down to see vegan cannoli that is pretty good.

http://www.toliveandeatinla.com/2009/thats-amore-cerritos-italian-vegetarian/

I wish I could find a restaurant that served vegan fruit torte, that would be pure heaven!

http://larryshrewsbury.com/images/fruit_tart.jpg

Edited by helena

I'm not vegan, & I use cream of cr soup, so take this w/ a grain of...well, you might need something better than salt...

My dad used to grill bananas w/ a rum sauce that I imagine could be vegan. Darn if I hadn't told him I don't like bananas & the thought of cooking them gave me the willies. I had a bite of dh's & dad had already turned the grill off.

I make ice cream for dh out of coconut milk, & while it's not tempting for me (at all), he claims that it's the best thing he's had in yrs. (He's allergic to dairy.) I can say I've tried some of the fake stuff he eats fr the groc store, & this coconut ice cream is really much better, cheaper, & extremely easy.

Otherwise, what about fruit cobbler kinds of things, pies, etc. made w/ dairy-free crust? Or I've heard that coconut milk is really good in desserts--I wonder if you could do a cream pie w/ it? It's pretty thick...?

Are chocolate flourless cakes vegan?

Wait a minute. Flour's vegan. (Right?) I mean, vegan just means no animal products, like meat, dairy, eggs. (Right?)

And suddenly I'm wondering how someone would make vegan chocolate, but since dh's allergic to that, too, it's not really an issue here. :001_huh:

Are chocolate flourless cakes vegan?

I hope it doesn't sound like over-inflated pride, but I make an *awesome* flourless chocolate cake. The recipe uses...{wait for it....}

OVER A POUND OF BUTTER!! :001_huh:

(It also has a dozen eggs).

Now I want fourless chocolate cake....:glare:

A veg*n dessert will require very careful thought if it's to be billed as "vegan" rather than just vegetarian.

It is a lot more than just the obvious animal products (dairy, meat, etc.), because sometimes animal parts are found in the processing or are hidden in generic ingredients lists ("natural flavors" or "red dyes" and such).

Standard sugar is a no-no, for instance, because of processing. It's one of those things that is debateable amongst veg*ns but for a food to be billed as vegan it should go with the most strict of requirements IMO - so no yeast or honey, either. Along those lines, not all milk-substitutes are considered vegan (even if they're labelled vegetarian) because they might contain whey or casein.

Some red dyes are out, too, because they are made from a beetle - carmine and cochineal, for example. Those turn up unexpectedly on ingredient lists for an ingredient going INTO a meal.

There are so many great books and blogs out there offering vegan dessert recipes - what about tweaking an existing vegan recipe? I love baked or poached fruit drizzled in different sauces, seasonal sorbets, seasonal ice-creams (pumpkin, persimmon, berry, fig) served over warm brownies, fruit soups, parfaits, ... I wonder if you could do a creme brulee with coconut milk? that would be divine!

Kudos to you and your restaurant for branching out - it's always hard to find decent veg*n food :)

A veg*n dessert will require very careful thought if it's to be billed as "vegan" rather than just vegetarian.

It is a lot more than just the obvious animal products (dairy, meat, etc.), because sometimes animal parts are found in the processing or are hidden in generic ingredients lists ("natural flavors" or "red dyes" and such).

Standard sugar is a no-no, for instance, because of processing. It's one of those things that is debateable amongst veg*ns but for a food to be billed as vegan it should go with the most strict of requirements IMO - so no yeast or honey, either. Along those lines, not all milk-substitutes are considered vegan (even if they're labelled vegetarian) because they might contain whey or casein.

Some red dyes are out, too, because they are made from a beetle - carmine and cochineal, for example. Those turn up unexpectedly on ingredient lists for an ingredient going INTO a meal.

There are so many great books and blogs out there offering vegan dessert recipes - what about tweaking an existing vegan recipe? I love baked or poached fruit drizzled in different sauces, seasonal sorbets, seasonal ice-creams (pumpkin, persimmon, berry, fig) served over warm brownies, fruit soups, parfaits, ... I wonder if you could do a creme brulee with coconut milk? that would be divine!

Kudos to you and your restaurant for branching out - it's always hard to find decent veg*n food :)

So far, so good. I've been doing my research, and knew about all the things you've mentioned so far.

Thank you for the ideas.

Could you explain your reasoning behind yeast?

I've spent the last 20 years around some pretty militant vegans and they all have spoken about it and dismissed it.

Thanks

Could you explain your reasoning behind yeast?

I've spent the last 20 years around some pretty militant vegans and they all have spoken about it and dismissed it.

Thanks

Sure. I'm probably not the best one to answer it, but I'll try -

I'm not vegan, and I don't believe 99% of vegans can be or truly are 100% vegan. We grew up in a religious community that practiced veg*nism to varying degrees; I had and have vegan friends, but we ourselves did and do not go to that extreme.

From what I remember and understand, yeast cells are similar to animal cells even though scientists consider them to be fungi. (Religious vegans discredit scientists more readily than adult converts to the lifestyle, I think). Yeast is alive, and actively multiplies when cooked.

It's not something I personally believe in, but it's something I take into consideration when preparing vegan foods for my guests - even those who are adult converts to the lifestyle (who IME tend to be less extreme than people who practice veganism for religious reasons).

To further illustrate, I keep two sets of dishes - one for veg*ns and one for everyone else. I'm not vegan, so my veg*n pots will have been contaminated at some point with non-vegan (but vegetarian) products. One childhood friend who is vegan will bring her own preparation utensils (pots, etc.) for me to use because she doesn't want cross-contamination with mine. Most often she'll just bring her own food and plates, and simply join our meal. A vegan friend met in adulthood, not as particular; she'll eat anything I cook in my veg*n set of dishes, even though it may have been contaminated at some point prior to the most immediate use. Neither would eat out of my other set of dishes, nor would I, even after washing.

There's just so much variation within the veg*n lifestyle, and out of respect I aim for the most strict of beliefs - whether or not I agree with, believe in, or understand them. This would be especially true if I were preparing food for strangers (individuals I hadn't picked brains of to determine their position on the spectrum), and was marketing my product as a specific dietary food.

I'm not vegan, and I don't believe 99% of vegans can be or truly are 100% vegan. We grew up in a religious community that practiced veg*nism to varying degrees; I had and have vegan friends, but we ourselves did and do not go to that extreme.

From what I remember and understand, yeast cells are similar to animal cells even though scientists consider them to be fungi. (Religious vegans discredit scientists more readily than adult converts to the lifestyle, I think). Yeast is alive, and actively multiplies when cooked.

It's not something I personally believe in, but it's something I take into consideration when preparing vegan foods for my guests - even those who are adult converts to the lifestyle (who IME tend to be less extreme than people who practice veganism for religious reasons).

To further illustrate, I keep two sets of dishes - one for veg*ns and one for everyone else. I'm not vegan, so my veg*n pots will have been contaminated at some point with non-vegan (but vegetarian) products. One childhood friend who is vegan will bring her own preparation utensils (pots, etc.) for me to use because she doesn't want cross-contamination with mine. Most often she'll just bring her own food and plates, and simply join our meal. A vegan friend met in adulthood, not as particular; she'll eat anything I cook in my veg*n set of dishes, even though it may have been contaminated at some point prior to the most immediate use. Neither would eat out of my other set of dishes, nor would I, even after washing.

There's just so much variation within the veg*n lifestyle, and out of respect I aim for the most strict of beliefs - whether or not I agree with, believe in, or understand them. This would be especially true if I were preparing food for strangers (individuals I hadn't picked brains of to determine their position on the spectrum), and was marketing my product as a specific dietary food.

I'm beginning with the assumption that a vegan who would eat out at a restaurant that also serves meat is probably not a vegan who's so serious that they worry about cross-contamination between clean dishes?

My family are vegetarian and my dd has a dairy allergy which means we pretty much have to go for the vegan choices. I can honestly say we are typically thrilled if we can actually have a dessert when we eat at a restaurant. Also, I think most of who eat out at non-veg restaurants are willing to take a little bit on faith. While I will grill someone to make sure it's dairy free to insure that my daughter is safe, I have never worried about the plates I'm eating off. :-)

I don't subscribe to a raw diet, but you may also want to check out some of those desserts. I've seen some really lovely ones and sometimes "cream" type flavors are better with things like raw nuts than something like tofu. Anything with fresh fruit also tends to be a lovely option.

Good luck!

Here's one for a Peach Cobbler with Cranberry Streusel that our family absolutely LOVES.

Enough peaches to fill bottom of 13x9 pan. I just eye it.

Mix the peaches with 1/4 cup of honey or maple syrup, or agave nectar depending on how vegan you want to be.

2 T. of whole wheat flour (best if you grind it yourself)

2 t. cinnamon

1 t. nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix all of the above together and put in pan coated with whatever oil you like.

Prepare Cranberry Streusel:

1/2 cup of peanut oil or coconut oil

1 cup of honey, maple syrup, or agave

1 cup whole wheat flour (grind if possible)

1 t. of RealSalt

1 cup of oats

1 cup of pecans, chopped

2-4 cups of fresh cranberries, depending on how "cranberry-ish" you'd like it.

Mash together sweetener , oil, four and salt with oats and pecans

Toss in cranberries

Crumble topping over the peaches

Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes

I cannot even begin to tell you how good this is. Enjoy!

We thought of a few more faves:

triple layer chocolate cake

carrot cake (vegan cream cheese from tofutti makes excellent frosting)

chocolate mouse

for what it's worth, we've eaten many fabulous raw desserts, equal in flavor to vegan and non veg versions, especially cheesecakes.

From what I understand, the word vegan is a modern construct, occurring in 1944, and although some religious groups may now apply the word vegan to their pre-existing beliefs, or diet - the term itself has a specific meaning, and definition - which has never included an abstinence from yeast, nor a belief that yeast is an animal. As such, being 'yeast free' is not a criteria in packaged food being labeled as vegan, nor for it to carry a certified 'vegan' logo.

Dessert Fairy ~

We discovered this dessert when we were on the nativity fast for six weeks (vegan). This is SO yummy (I usually don't care for coconut but I love this dessert); definitely restaurant worthy. But I think it needs a new name.

Tom Thumb Bars

1/2 c. shortening

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 cup flour

Combine shortening and salt. Add brown singer and blend. Add flour and blind. Spread in greased 8x12 pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven. Immediately spread on topping:

2 Tbsp. flour

1/2 tossup baking powder

1-1/2 cups shredded coconut

1 cup nuts (*we use slivered almonds*)

3/4 cup light corn syrup

1 tsp. lemon juice

Blend and spread over hot bottom layer. Bake another 25 minutes. Cool and cut into rectangles.

(From A Lenten Cookbook for Orthodox Christians published by St. Nectarios Press, 1982)

I like to make chocolate mousse with one bag of pareve (non-dairy) chocolate chips, melted in the microwave, then pureed with a cake of silken tofu. Add sugar to taste. Makes a really great frosting too. A great sour cream substitute (which you could use as a topping or ingredient) is a cake of tofu whizzed together with some lemon juice, rice vinegar, and salt. I don't measure, but it's probably two teaspoons of lemon juice and vinegar, and a pinch of salt. We love it!

Dessert Fairy ~

We discovered this dessert when we were on the nativity fast for six weeks (vegan). This is SO yummy (I usually don't care for coconut but I love this dessert); definitely restaurant worthy. But I think it needs a new name.

Tom Thumb Bars

1/2 c. shortening

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 cup flour

Combine shortening and salt. Add brown singer and blend. Add flour and blind. Spread in greased 8x12 pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven. Immediately spread on topping:

2 Tbsp. flour

1/2 tossup baking powder

1-1/2 cups shredded coconut

1 cup nuts (*we use slivered almonds*)

3/4 cup light corn syrup

1 tsp. lemon juice

Blend and spread over hot bottom layer. Bake another 25 minutes. Cool and cut into rectangles.

(From A Lenten Cookbook for Orthodox Christians published by St. Nectarios Press, 1982)

The recipe looks yummy. Do you use sweetened coconut, or unsweetened?

Julie, I have many vegan dessert recipes. I found most of them on the internet. I'll give credit when I can remember. Also, most, or all?, of them wouldn't meet the requirements suggested by another poster here; but I can post them or pm them to you as I get time to type them up, if you want them. Then, you wll probaby have to experiment with them to make them what you want them to be. Here's a simple one to start with ...

Gingersnaps

Whisk dry ingredients:

2 c. whole wheat pastry flour

1 t. ginger (ground)

1 t. cinnamon (ground)

tiny pinch cloves

dash salt

2 t. baking soda

Mix wet ingredients:

1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce

1 c. sugar (dry - any kind)

1 1/2 T. water

1/4 c. molasses ("Grandma's Molasses" from Wal Mart)

Add dry to wet and mix. Chill dough well.

Set oven at 350 degrees and st up cookie pan wth silicon mat (no oil).

Roll dough into small balls (I use my hands) and roll the balls in dry sugar. Place about 2 inches apart on the pan.

Bake about 8-10 minutes. Cookies will puff and then collapse either in the oven or right after you take them out. Let cool (to touch) on pan and then remove to rack. Store in Zip-Loc bag or container. These cookies are nice and chewy - not hard. Be sure to take them out of the oven before they get too 'done'. They may even look slightly rawish in the center.

Notes:

- spices. I get my spices at our local Asian or Hispanic stores. They sell them in small cellophane bags and the spices are SO much better than the usual fare at regular stores. Makes a big difference.

- Most of my recipes are fat free, unless they contain soy. Cooking without fats is very different than cooking with oils and such. It's very easy to overcook ff food. I usually take them out BEFORE they look 'done'. It takes a little practice if you're not used to doing it. Cakes are even more tricky. They can go from being raw to being overdone in just a few minutes. I have several cake recipes if you're interested. Let me know.

I'd love to have your recipes. Thank you!

About the gingersnaps...would it be possible for me to press the dough into a tart pan or springform pan to use as a crust to hold a filling?

Also, if possible, I'd love to know which recipes you have that might freeze well, if you have any, and also how long each recipe stays fresh and yummy. For instance, if you make a great cake, but it's only really at it's best within the first day, it's good to know that.

Thanks again!

Here's another very simple one:

Cherry Sorbet

1 - 2 bags of frozen dark, sweet cherries (Wal Mart)

~ 1 t. vanilla extract

~ 1 c. soymilk (I use Westsoy.)

Squeeze the cherries to make sure they are free of pits and pit fragments (tears up your food processor).

Put it all into the blender or food processor and mix. Serve.

Note: Sometimes I add a little sweetener. Also, you may want to start with less milk and increase a little at a time. The recipe also says you can add a tiny bit of unsweetened cocoa to give it a hint of chocolate flavor. Never tried that.

Sounds yummy! Have you stored it in the freezer for later use, or only served it right away?

I've done both. It gets fairly hard in the freezer. Again, you might have to experiment. So you're really wanting things you can freeze and thaw before serving?

In a perfect situation, it would be a dessert that I can freeze by the single serving without having the quality suffer. It would also be something that I could serve either warm (so I wouldn't have to wait for it to thaw) or frozen (so I wouldn't have to wait for it to thaw). It's a small restaurant, and I'm pretty sure they can't sell all the servings of a vegan dessert quickly enough before some would spoil, hence the need for freezing/pulling out when a serving is needed. I also need them to be selections that will "fit in" with the other dessert selections being offered. Right now we're serving Flourless Chocolate Cake covered with chocolate ganache, creme brulee, Peanut Butter Chocolate Torte, Tropical Pineapple cake, Key Lime Parfait, and a variety of ice creams.