Menu

Trail Guide to Learning - Paths of Exploration

momof165

I just found this program about 4 weeks ago. I think it would be a great program for my ds. However, I don't know anyone who has used this one. So, I thought I'd ask the hive. Has anyone around here used this program, or know someone who does? It's very CM - but does include everything but Math. Here is a link to look at some samples:

http://www.geomatters.com/products/category.asp?CID=53

I could work with the library system to make this one work for us. However, dh does not really like anything CM, Waldorf, Montessori, you name it. He is a textbook guy and feels that ds won't learn anything. I printed the sample pages out for him - but still, he is hesitant to use this one. Ds on the other hand loves the look of the program. He loves History, Geography, Science - but not textbooks. HELP!

I have asked the same question on the yahoo group. I received some great answers - but not a lot of people who have used it but TWO.

So ladies, if anyone has some info for me concerning this program - I LOVE to hear it.

Thank you so much!

Sonja

I LOVED it! My children LOVED it.

There are many hands on activities but yet a wealth of information to learn about the explorers as you go through the unit. It is very well done. You learn maps, history, knot making, ships, and soo so much more.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions. I can answer better that way. I high recommend any products from GeoMatters. We have also used their Trail Guides.

Blessings

Tanya

PS If you are interested - mine is for sale since we are done with it - along with many resources.... Just pm me! =)

Edited by Tanya in KS
add more info

I LOVED it! My children LOVED it.

There are many hands on activities but yet a wealth of information to learn about the explorers as you go through the unit. It is very well done. You learn maps, history, knot making, ships, and soo so much more.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions. I can answer better that way. I high recommend any products from GeoMatters. We have also used their Trail Guides.

Blessings

Tanya

PS If you are interested - mine is for sale since we are done with it - along with many resources.... Just pm me! =)

I was looking at it as well, since I like LLATL and Ruth Beechick. The main author of POE was the co-author of LLATL (I think that's what it was-it's been a little while). It looks fairly secular, is that true?

We used the first half this year. My feelings are mixed about it. My kids liked it a lot. I liked how it was organized. I didn't like spending six weeks each on Columbus, Jamestown and Pilgrims. It moved too slow for me, but the kids learned a lot and really know those topics. They liked the art and nature/science lessons. I liked the copywork pages, but those aren't included in the second book, much to my disappointment. I decided not to continue with the second half. The resources that come with the package are wonderful and we will continue to use them for a long time. HTH.

• 3 weeks later...
I was under the impression after looking at their website and samples that the Bible curriculum is NOT included in the Trail Guide to Learning since it is listed as a seperate purchase on their website. Did I miss something?

I got that impression too. I glanced at the samples and didn't see anything specifically religious either, but I didn't look too closely yet. The book choices seem pretty secular too (at least the ones I recognized.)

There's one bit on the website where they talk about the philosophy behind the program that I thought was interesting... "Biblical principles are foundational to the comprehensive nature of this curriculum. Ideas based on pagan and secular thought systems, such as the classical approach, are not included."

I'll have to look a bit more closely at it. My high schooler is doing US History next year, and I was thinking it might be a good time to do US History with the youngers too. I figured I'd use the Time Traveler CDs, but the Trail Guide to Learning looks promising if it can be used secularly.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest LilZ_098

Have you decided if you are going to use this? I'm pondering between this and Learning Adventures and having a really hard time deciding! I need to print the samples for both and do a "side by side" if you will....

After contemplating for weeks about whether or not we should use this program for 5th Grade, I decided to go with a different program. We will be using OM. Trail Guide to Learning seems to be a wonderful program BUT I need to make sure it's a program my ds would enjoy. This program seems to move too slowly for my son and at this point, I just can't afford to make a curriculum mistake (dh is unemployed since August of last year). So, I'll just use some of their book recommendations along with the time travelers CDs to give OM a little bit "pizazz."

I bought this today at the Homeschool Curriculum fair in Arlington, tx... WOW!

The author spent a good 45 minutes explaining and talking to me about this. Then I came back to her booth (because hubby was sick of me talking about the program nonstop) and she spent another good 20-30 minutes talking to me some more.

It felt like such a GOOD fit, I went ahead and got it. I never do things like that! LOL

I also bought the Bible supplement CD for $12 to round it out.

I LOVE the books it comes with. WOW-- great books! I like the 4 day learn week, then friday is game day. I love that I can do this with all 3 kids on one curriculum.

One thing I DO disagree with is the grammar... I really don't see any. There's spelling, vocab, writing, etc... but not a FORMAL grammar-- which is fine, because I have one already.

Another concern, even though it's a small concern, is the student worksheets. There's alot to print out, and they sell the pre-printed worksheets for $60 (for entire year). But when you multiply that by 3 students, OUCH!!! Since my printer eats ink like crazy, I"m nervous about that, but will make it work.

Oh, and I didn't bother with the lapbooks add-ons. I am overwhelmed by lapbooks. They scare me!

I am so excited!

I bought this today at the Homeschool Curriculum fair in Arlington, tx... WOW!

The author spent a good 45 minutes explaining and talking to me about this. Then I came back to her booth (because hubby was sick of me talking about the program nonstop) and she spent another good 20-30 minutes talking to me some more.

It felt like such a GOOD fit, I went ahead and got it. I never do things like that! LOL

I did the same thing! lol! I've been reading through it lesson by lesson over the last week, and I absolutely *LOVE* it! I haven't said that about ANY homeschool curriculum!

I also bought the Bible supplement CD for $12 to round it out.
I did too...I think it's a very nice complement without being too heavy-handed. I love that it includes the weekly memory verse plus a "memory project" for longer passages.

I LOVE the books it comes with. WOW-- great books! I like the 4 day learn week, then friday is game day. I love that I can do this with all 3 kids on one curriculum.
:iagree: It seems very easy to combine. I love the way the days are structured...just enough.

One thing I DO disagree with is the grammar... I really don't see any. There's spelling, vocab, writing, etc... but not a FORMAL grammar-- which is fine, because I have one already.
Well, since Ruth Beechick is one of the consultants on the program that makes sense. She doesn't advocate for formal grammar until junior high, I believe. We'll be using MCT next year along with TGTL as well.

Another concern, even though it's a small concern, is the student worksheets. There's alot to print out, and they sell the pre-printed worksheets for $60 (for entire year). But when you multiply that by 3 students, OUCH!!! Since my printer eats ink like crazy, I"m nervous about that, but will make it work.
When I talked to Ashley, the author's daughter and the author of the Profiles in History book, at our curriculum fair, she said that when they took the CDs to Kinko's to have the student pages printed out, it cost them $66. They're selling basically 'at cost' - $60. They were pretty shocked at the price as well, but wanted to make the pre-printed pages available in case anyone didn't want to mess with printing. I know that printing on my good old Brother Laser will cost only a fraction of that price.

Oh, and I didn't bother with the lapbooks add-ons. I am overwhelmed by lapbooks. They scare me!
Lapbooks have pretty much been a flop at our house. DD will be reading through Artner's Guide Units 1 and 2 books (which includes many on the Explorer's) starting this summer through next year so I bought the Explorers History Pockets to go along with it. This will be our foray into History Pockets, so we'll see how it goes! ;)

I am so excited!
Me too! The curriculum is beautiful, so well-thought out, and everything I never thought I wanted and more! :D I am so impressed with how well the science, nature study, drawing, geography, writing, and everything else is so integrated, without feeling "forced," ifkwim?

There's also a yahoo group that has answered some of my questions, if you're interested. It took a couple of days for my question to go through, but Linda, one of the authors is the moderator and answers all of the questions.

I'm glad they'll be someone else here to share experiences with!

my dear friend just bought this and we talked today, she loves it!

I wonder if she will like that they'll spend six weeks in one area of history. She said so far she likes that everything is related to the topic of study.

So, the children are studying bees and honey while reading a book about

bees and honey.

You can print out a week of the tm.

my dear friend just bought this and we talked today, she loves it!

I wonder if she will like that they'll spend six weeks in one area of history. She said so far she likes that everything is related to the topic of study.

So, the children are studying bees and honey while reading a book about

bees and honey.

You can print out a week of the tm.

Yeah, I never would've thought that I would be happy spending that much time on one topic, but I believe I will be for a number of reasons:

1. The "inch deep and mile wide" feeling I got from our history studies this year doing things strictly chronological and covering two or three topics in one week, and the next you'd be in a completely different part of the world. I always felt behind and bedraggled. ifkwim?

2. Even though the focus is on say, Columbus for six weeks, you're not studying *only* Columbus. You're studying navigation and astronomy and Native Americans, etc. Columbus is used as a jumping-off point--like a unit study.

3. Because our learning philosophy leans more toward Latin-centered, we try to keep things "multum non multa" and the more in-depth studies of fewer topics, along with the brilliant efficiency seems to lend itself very well to a stream-lined approach. And we'll still get to do our Greek Myths study and AO read-alouds without feeling overwhelmed! :D

Of course, these are all just first impressions, and normally I would hesitate to speak to a curriculum unless I had used it...:tongue_smilie: But, because the curriculum is so new, you won't find anyone who's used it for more than a year. I guess I'd rather have someone's meager first impressions than nothing at all. :)

I've been looking at this as well.....my question is, where is the science?? I looked over the samples and I didn't see anything relating to science.

I just checked out the sample. If you go to pages xviii and xix (18, 19) of the introduction, they explain how science is used in the course under Geography/Science & also the Drawing section. The Handbook of Nature Study is used (scheduled!!) as well as the Guide to North American Wildlife. Each day, either Geography or Science is scheduled.

Unfortunately, the sample week (Week 1) doesn't have science in it, I guess because they're giving an introduction to Geography. In every other week I've looked at Science is scheduled anywhere from 1-3 times a week.

Also, in the Appendix of the sample, you can go to the Week in a Glance pages and check out Part E. Geography/Science and see what is covered over the unit. The next page in the sample is another way to see what is covered in the Columbus unit in regards to Science. The first column with the bird feet is the 3rd grade, the raccoon feet is 4th, and the bear paw is 5th.

FYI, The "Lesson" roughly correlates to a week, and the "Part" to a day. I had to ask, so I thought I'd mention it! ;)

HTH!

I'm so glad there's a post about this, because I've had a hard time finding info on such a new product :D!!!

I have a question, if anyone knows the answer.....:lol:

I've printed out the sample week, and it seems to me that this would completely replace LLATL(or whatever LA program you are using)? I've noticed a couple of you are adding grammar, but in theory you could use this program + math and everything is covered....BUT, you would have to be comfortable with a very light LA program, it seems even lighter than LLATL? Is that right?

:bigear:

I just checked out the sample. If you go to pages xviii and xix (18, 19) of the introduction, they explain how science is used in the course under Geography/Science & also the Drawing section. The Handbook of Nature Study is used (scheduled!!) as well as the Guide to North American Wildlife. Each day, either Geography or Science is scheduled.

Unfortunately, the sample week (Week 1) doesn't have science in it, I guess because they're giving an introduction to Geography. In every other week I've looked at Science is scheduled anywhere from 1-3 times a week.

Also, in the Appendix of the sample, you can go to the Week in a Glance pages and check out Part E. Geography/Science and see what is covered over the unit. The next page in the sample is another way to see what is covered in the Columbus unit in regards to Science. The first column with the bird feet is the 3rd grade, the raccoon feet is 4th, and the bear paw is 5th.

FYI, The "Lesson" roughly correlates to a week, and the "Part" to a day. I had to ask, so I thought I'd mention it! ;)

HTH!

Ahhh...that explains it - thanks :)

I'm so glad there's a post about this, because I've had a hard time finding info on such a new product :D!!!

I have a question, if anyone knows the answer.....:lol:

I've printed out the sample week, and it seems to me that this would completely replace LLATL(or whatever LA program you are using)? I've noticed a couple of you are adding grammar, but in theory you could use this program + math and everything is covered....BUT, you would have to be comfortable with a very light LA program, it seems even lighter than LLATL? Is that right?

:bigear:

I'm not the best person to answer this question since I'm not at all familiar with LLATL, but I can point you in the right direction maybe. If you join the yahoo group I linked above, there are some thorough answers about LA on the threads starting with message #54 and #36.

Basically, Linda says that TGTL is based entirely on Ruth Beechick's philosophy of education, so if you've read and/or are familiar with her books--that's what they're about. She also mentioned that because the curriculum is so flexible, it's easy to add in areas that you feel is appropriate or needed for your dc. I believe that my dd is dyslexic so we are giving extra attention to those areas: MCT and Sequential Spelling.

As for grammar, they do start working with basic mechanics but it all flows from the content of the lessons, rather than being a stand-alone subject. Grammar is not studied more fully until junior high level, where there will "units of emphasis" on it. Linda mentions the idea that (in my words) grammar is not an end in itself. It is the pathway to effective writing and writing, so therefore it is studied in context taken from the books they're reading. It will also be studied in connection with word origins.

Hopefully someone else can chime in on comparisons to LLATL, although I believe that it has been mentioned earlier in the thread that one of the authors of TGTL was also a co-authors of LLATL, so they're likely similar.

Guest LilZ_098

Glad to read the updated posts on this! I had looked at the sample as well and was still having a hard time deciding. But to hear from others who actually have it now and have provided input that really helps in my decision! thanks so much!

A friend and I found TGL at a recent bookfair. If my youngest was just one year older we would have bought it but I'm going to have to wait a year. It was so encouraging to see a curriculum that incorporated all those natural ways of learning things like grammar with the substantive topics like history and geography. I'm really looking forward to it.

Because "bible" as a subject is sold separately, I believe it is not intended to be a "Christian" curriculum.

Michelle

Thank you everyone for your posts. I was thinking about using OM 5 (bought this last year used) - but after reading all the encouraging posts about this program - I don't know anymore. I might just buy the CDs - we have a lot of the books in our hs library. I just wished I could see this one in person. It's so hard. My ds is only 10 - so, this could work beautifully for us agewise. At first, I thought he might get bored doing one topic for a prolonged period of time, but we are doing the time travelers CDs right now - and he is having a BLAST (we started 2 weeks ago). So, why am I having such a hard time deciding on a curriculum this year???:confused:

Michelle, thank you so much for your post. I'm so glad to hear that it can be used for secular homeschoolers. It seems, more and more people are using this curriculum and talking about Trail Guide to Learning. It's encouraging to see. I guess, I should just go with my intuition on this one and stop worrying so much. My ds LOVES history, geography and nature studies. We can always add in books, discussions, etc. to dig deeper, make it more challenging.

Edited by momof165

Thank you everyone for your posts. I was thinking of going with OM 5 (bought this last year used) - but after reading all the encouraging posts - I don't know. I might just buy the CDs - we have a lot of the books in our hs library. I just wished I could see this one in person. It's so hard. My ds is only 10 - so, this could work beautifully for us agewise. At first, I thought he might get bored doing one topic for a prolonged period of time, but we are doing the time travelers CDs right now - and he is having a BLAST (we started 2 weeks ago). So, why am I having such a hard time deciding on a curriculum this year???:confused:

Michelle, thank you so much for your post. I'm so glad to hear that it can be used for secular homeschoolers. It seems, more and more people are using this curriculum and talking about Trail Guide to Learning. It's encouraging to see. I guess, I should just go with my intuition on this one and stop worrying so much. My ds LOVES history, geography and nature studies. We can always add in books, discussions, etc. to dig deeper, make it more challenging.

Again, thank you everyone for posting to this thread.

I really bought TGTL on a whim at my curriculum fair. I sometimes have buyer's remorse, and really expected it with this (especially since I had three other excellent curricula on my radar for next year), but the more I read through this curriculum, the more excited I am to get started. I'm very glad I went with my intuition, even though TGTL is quite different from anything I have used or was anticipating using next year.

As for extra resources, after the 5th day of each lesson, there is a short list (sometimes only one or two) of optional websites or books to add in, if that helps, although it's not hard to add things in since TGTL is so flexible.

I have not seen any religious references in the main curriculum, although I have not looked through it all. I believe there at least one lady on the yahoo groups who is a secular homeschooler and is loving TGTL.

Good luck with your decision!!

I would still like to use this for my ds in the future. :tongue_smilie:

We are going to use OM 3 next year, for second grade, but I will consider this for third grade. (and return to OM in fourth) I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t wait to hear more about it; after all of you use it for awhile. ;)

I am so glad to see a thread on this curriculum. I know it is explained as 'everything but math' but we use it as our integrated Geography, read aloud, and American History and some of our Charlotte Mason activities (copywork, dictation, informal nature study, etc.). We still do formal grammar and World History, Literature, Math, additional Science (Apologia,etc.). We absolutely LOVE this curriculum. I will purchase it every year. It is funny to hear that people are concerned about how long it takes on each topic. That is just the heading (Columbus, Jamestown, etc.) There is so much more going on than that. You need to take a serious look at this to know whether or not it is for you and your children. It is truly a living books approach to learning and a Charlotte Mason 'abundant feast'. I was initially a public school teacher and have served on curriculum selection committees, and then worked as a private school principal and then a Provost and Head Master at a Charlotte Mason / Classical School before I homeschooled my own children. I extensively research curriculum. When I found this, I knew it was phenomenal. It is consistent with CM practices and the classical approach. I was impressed with the fact that it takes a more abstract approach by probing children and teachers with questions to get them to think and discuss rather than dry objectives that they will simply skim over. It is written with a biblical worldview, but the Bible curriculum is separate. I purchased it on the spot and have not been disappointed (something I never expected to do with ANY curriculum).

• 1 month later...
I don't know if you saw this, but a few pages back someone posted a link to the yahoo group. You can get info there as well.

Learning Series

Yes, I joined that group-thanks. I've gotten some good info there.

I find that more objective reviews tend to be given when the authors aren't responding though KWIM ;) So hoped that more people had used it and could give thoughts here.

Yes, I joined that group-thanks. I've gotten some good info there.

I find that more objective reviews tend to be given when the authors aren't responding though KWIM ;) So hoped that more people had used it and could give thoughts here.

Yes, I hate when they do that. Ugh. I stay away from groups like that.

I am so glad to see a thread on this curriculum. I know it is explained as 'everything but math' but we use it as our integrated Geography, read aloud, and American History and some of our Charlotte Mason activities (copywork, dictation, informal nature study, etc.). We still do formal grammar and World History, Literature, Math, additional Science (Apologia,etc.).

I just printed off the first week and this really looks amazing! I'm going to convention tomorrow (WA State) and GeoMatters is going to be there so I am going to seriously look at this.....

I was wondering....can you elaborate on how you add in other things, such as the World History, Literature, Science, ect. I'd love to hear how you do this....do you add in the additional things every day? And how long does this make a typical day? Anything you care to share I'd love to hear! Do you just read through the Apologia, or do the notebooking and experiments? Are you doing a full-blown world history program, or just reading through a spine and a few other books that fit in? How much other literature are you adding in? I guess I'd just like to see what your day looks like combining this curriculum with all those other things!

Thanks!

Very excited to read this thread! I think I'm about 95% settled on buying this curriculum for my boys for the upcoming year. I don't usually like unit study type programs but I have pored over the samples and I think this will be a perfect fit for them!

I seriously can't believe I'm walking away from VP though...we've done it for 4 years with our older daughter and it has been great! I started Ancient Egypt with the boys and they are BORED and it's awful!

One question. I believe the website says it is a hardback book. I really like spiral. LOL Does the book stay open? Is it hard to read items in the "middle" near the spine?

Thanks!

One question. I believe the website says it is a hardback book. I really like spiral. LOL Does the book stay open? Is it hard to read items in the "middle" near the spine?

I spent several hours pouring over these two volumes last weekend at our convention.....they look GREAT!!!! They are hardback, but, yes, the books open to any page and lay completely flat....you can read everything on the page just fine....they are beautiful books and look like they will be really easy to work out of.....

One other thing....several people said one of the drawbacks was that the check-off sheets for each week were in the back and weren't on the disk....it is really hard to copy from a hardback.....I talked to Alex and he said that it is now available to print off from either the disk, or a file they will send you....

I'm teetering on the ledge.....it looks awesome!

If you live near me (Suburb of Dallas), you're welcome to come check it out.

I just love the program. I havent started it yet, but I've practically got it memorized-- been reading it nonstop! LOL

And Thanks SOOOO much for the info about the check-off sheets! I had no idea! I just emailed them and asked for the file. WOOHOO! (doing a happy dance!)

Well-- not so fast on the checkoff sheets-- they just emailed me back and said NO. Not avaialble. Bummer.

Edited by joyfulheart

Are there hands-on activities, besides drawing, mapping and nature study? If so, could you give me an idea of what types of activities are included?

Thanks!!

Yes, in addition to notebooking here are some examples:

*Writing Activity: Choose an island from the previous geography lesson. Find info about it (using ref. books, internet, etc.), write about it. Tell where it is located. Find a picture of the island. Then, basically, make a notebook page about it.

The olders will then make a travel brochure for the island.

*Science: Make Animal ID Cards for specific animals mentioned. (ongoing project) These are then used for games, additional study, etc.

*Games: Games are included in the curriculum like Word Searches, Crosswords, Ocean and Continent Concentration, Bingo, Charades, etc. All games have instructions, are scheduled, and game pieces are included in the appendices.

*Enrichment Activities: At the end of each week, enrichment activities are scheduled. It might be games, cooking, timelines, Profile sheets (all included in the Appendices), etc. For example, from the Atlas, choose one or more Native American tribes that lived in the NE part of the US with the pilgrims. Research the tribe(s) you have chosen and fill out a Native American Profile sheet for your N.A. notebook.

All of these activities are fleshed out with much more detailed instructions, but you get the picture hopefully. :) I am very pleased with how sensibly (not randomly) integrated everything is.

I didn't even know there were check off sheets!!

Did you find them yet? They're in Appendix A. Love them! There are ongoing discussions about how to get these sheets to users without worrying about copyright infringement on the Yahoo group. GeoMatters is looking into a few different ways to do that. Personally, I think the books lay flat enough to make a good copy of it, and I understand the problems that it could cause Geomatters so I don't think it is that necessary.

Sorry about the misinformation about the check-off sheets....I specifically asked Alex about this at the convention because I had read others stating their desire for a print-out copy and he told me it was available....maybe he didn't understand exactly what I was asking about, or there is some confusion with them about it.....

That's too bad, but I guess it wouldn't be a problem to just copy it out of the back......has anyone done that?

I was also able to spend an hour with the next level - Paths of Settlement - and it looked even better than POE!!!! Wow!!! They do some great stuff with the constitution! And the resources are amazing for that level!!! I think this curriculum is going to be a winner once people become more familiar with it and it gets some time under it!!!

Ladies,

We are also looking closely at this program (convention is tomorrow and GeoMatters will be there!). What would you recommend we do the year before beginning this program?? It is my understanding, after reading through the (awesome) samples, that the target grade is 3rd. My oldest is a rising 2nd grader so we are a year off from beginning something like this! I am drawn to the slower, deeper focus . . . I already feel rushed and I'm only a year into this home school thing!

I'm a tiny bit concerned about taking 3 years to study through American history. Is that what we'd be doing?? How does this approach fit into the big picture of studying through most of history with our children (i.e. giving proper weight and time to as much of history as possible)? How are other time periods, countries, cultures, etc. studied along the way, either before, during, or after POE? I am thinking that it may not be a good option for a larger family with a wider span of ages unless it can be done quite independently in the later elementary/middle school grades.

:D Just thinking out loud here . . . I'm enjoying this thread.

I really thought Winter Promise's Sea and Sky was what I was going to use this year ..... but ....

I HAD to read this thread. Then I just HAD to go over to Geomatters and check out Paths of Exploration. It looks great! I like that it has some LA included and notebooking AND geography!

Now I'm back to square one AGAIN. WP's Sea&Sky or Trail Guide to Learning?? My brain can't take much more.

I really thought Winter Promise's Sea and Sky was what I was going to use this year ..... but ....

I HAD to read this thread. Then I just HAD to go over to Geomatters and check out Paths of Exploration. It looks great! I like that it has some LA included and notebooking AND geography!

Now I'm back to square one AGAIN. WP's Sea&Sky or Trail Guide to Learning?? My brain can't take much more.

I have looked at Sea & Sky for years and was just WAITING for my son to get a little older. This was the year! But then I saw Paths of Exploration and we were sold. I think it will be a better fit to have my 1st grader join in with most of the work.