Menu

Science...if you had to do it all over what would you use and...

Teachnmama

Science has been the subject I wish would go away for years now but since I don't think that will be happening anytime soon :tongue_smilie: I would like to at least not repeat the same mistakes with my younger children. I would love to see what science scope and sequence you use from 1st through middle school. I would love to know what curriculum you used and what topic (ie. chemistry, botany, etc).

I would also love some advice for going forward with my oldest. He will be a 6th grader next year and although we haven't been consistent with science he has been exposed here and there to many different science topics. What would you say would be the most important science topics (and what curriculum would you recommend) for the next 3 years of middle school to prepare him for High School science.

Thank you so much for your time in responding and I hope the responses help other science phobic moms as well. :lol:

I've been thinking about this a lot as I get ready to tackle grammar stage again w/ my middle guy.

I think I would stick with WTM recommendations for first & second grade. I can't see any real benefit to a more formal program for those ages, and all you want at that point is exposure & fun, not thoroughness, kwim?

I'm seriously considering switch chemistry & physics up from WTM order - physics in 3rd and chemistry in 4th. All of our physics has been SO hands-on. Waiting on chemistry would let us use both of Ellen McHenry's chemistry units and also could probably go with a slightly more advanced science kit.

Fifth & up is a little tricky. If I had a child who wasn't science-inclined, I'd cover the basics of middle school science in 5th & 6th, dropping a few topics or what have you to make it 'work' - so many resources out there, not sure for sure what I'd use. Probably something like CPO or PLATO or a combination thereof. Then I'd use 7th & 8th to do a general science course (using Hazen & Trefil's Science Matters, the Joy of Science dvds from the Teaching Company, and one of the Thames & Kosmos kits) and a history of science course (using Hakim's story of science, Science The Definitive Visual Guide, more Teaching Company DVDs, and the Milestones in Science Thames & Kosmos kit).

With a more science-oriented kid, though, I'd want to find a way to go more in depth with all of that. Like I said, tricky. :)

HTH, at least a little!

I wasted tons of money and effort trying to implement various science programs in the early years. My kids were bored and I was frustrated. If I could do it over again, I'd let them pick easy non-fiction read alouds from the library and just read good books, and only do experiments if they were really interested.

So no formal science during grammar stage.

I have a rising 6th grader so I really wish I could answer your question. What kills me is that I love science. My daughter loves science. I've used all kinds of things and yes, she is very science-knowledgable but I'm not happy with anything we've done. I have a 1st grader and I don't know what to do with her. If I had liked what I did with my 6th grader, I would know what to do with my 1st grader.

I know what I'm doing from 8th and up (well at least until advanced sciences). My oldest is using the DIVE science programs and they are great so we'll start DIVE Physical Science in 8th and go from there. That leaves me 2 years to do something that will get us ready for that.

I just bought BFSU for my youngest from amazon so I could take a look at it. They are putting out a 6th - 8th grade book this summer. I literally just got it today so I haven't wrapped my mind around it yet but my first impressions are that I love it and that it's a lot of work. What I have to do is decide if I can handle that. I just don't know yet. And of course it isn't for my 6th grader and until that book comes out I won't know if that's an option.

I really wish I had an answer for you. I know I need more in the next two years than what we are doing now otherwise when we start DIVE it will be such an increase in the workload and approach that it will be vicious. But what to do? I don't know.

Heather

>> I would make science completely interest lead in the grammar stage. <<

:iagree:

Last year my boys did Singapore's MPH Science 3. I had it all planned out. We moved smoothly through the curriculum. They didn't mind it. At the end of the year, I thought, " Ha. I finally got a year of science done."

This year, we're doing Classical Conversations as a supplement. CC includes a very broad sweep over science memory work. Every 6 weeks has a different focus. The past 6 weeks, for example, has been earth science. Instead of doing a formal curriculum, all I've done this year is go to the library and check out a bunch of science books on whatever the general CC topic area is. I keep them all in a couple of baskets and each day the kids pick something from the basket for 20-30 minutes of "science" reading. It's been almost totally delight driven. They have picked up so much more science this year than they did last year. AND they really get into it. They each tend to develop their own particular bunny trails and just go hopping along. It's been very eye-opening to watch.

This year, I listen to them talking and think, "THIS is science! THIS is what I'd hoped for in home schooling!"

Yep, I would absolutely do delight-driven science only in the grammar stage. However, I would drive the general subject area (earth science, biology, simple machines, etc.) to make sure they get exposure to a broad range. It's surprising, though, how they've found something to be interested in in every area we've hit.

Grammar stage is really exciting for science exploration! AND it can be so easy for mom!

yvonne

NOEO has been the best thing that ever happened to us! I did 1st & 2nd accd to WTM recs, but it rarely got done, & I always felt like I really didn't know what I was doing. Twd the end of 2nd, I just gave him an Usborne 1st Encyc of Earth & Space & the one about dinos & made him read it & write summaries.

NOEO basically follows WTM layout, except there's a yr missing--it's incl in the other 3, though, & the ones we've done so far are so rich, you could easily spread them over 4 yrs.

We're finishing up Chem I now, but we've already started Phys I because it's just that much fun. We do experiments almost every week, even though they've got a Mama who's mess-phobic & never has basic household items & can't follow a recipe to save her life, *much* less an experiment. These are so easy, though, the kids could probably do them w/out me, IF I didn't enjoy doing them so much. (I didn't before NOEO.)

And finally, it's based on living books. That's SO important to me. I love that there are biographies of relevant scientists folded into every year.

For Chemistry, we've read about Marie Curie, made bouncy balls, marshmallows, volcanoes, crystals, & plastic, & learned SO much about Chemistry. That was my least fav of the sciences in highschool because it never made any sense. At the elem level, lol, it totally does, & having done this level, I feel just a smidge more capable of teaching it next time it comes around. Will I be qualified for highschool? I doubt it, but at least maybe I'll be able to talk to them about what they do wherever they do it! :001_smile:

Physics (from what I see in the teacher's manual) incl some astronomy, Galileo, Einstein, & other...physics stuff. We did an experiment last week on centrifugal motion, & before that, we constructed a "bridge" from string & rulers, learned about friction, force, &...other physics stuff. I never had physics, though, & so I'm absolutely drooling over this one. Hence the starting it before we're really ready.

Two sciences at once, though? For a lit major? THAT is how great NOEO is.

I wasted tons of money and effort trying to implement various science programs in the early years. My kids were bored and I was frustrated. If I could do it over again, I'd let them pick easy non-fiction read alouds from the library and just read good books, and only do experiments if they were really interested.

So no formal science during grammar stage.

:iagree:

We began BJU science at the start of this year, and while it was a nice change at the start, it's brought some tears and frustration too. I think you have to be careful to find balance as in anything else. However, for grammar stage, I think Stacy said it best.

My 9yo is a great example of this. He has learned more from bird-watching (on his own) and the rock tumbler he asked for as a Christmas present than I've taught him in his five years of homeschooling. He initiates it all and seeks out books to further his learning. Our field guides were one of the best purchases I ever made and they show it. ;) This has definitely convinced me to take a new direction in school altogether in that I let at least part of their studies be interest lead. The fact is that we typically retain more of what we enjoy. And that's what I see in him when he comes running in the door breathless with a new picture he's taken of a bird. He can name nearly every one we see. Ironically enough, he's taught me so much. I never knew there were so many in our area.

ETA: I got a little carried away, lol. I'm looking at Rainbow Science or RS4K for our middle-schooler's studies for next year.

Edited by angela&4boys

NOEO has been the best thing that ever happened to us! I did 1st & 2nd accd to WTM recs, but it rarely got done, & I always felt like I really didn't know what I was doing. Twd the end of 2nd, I just gave him an Usborne 1st Encyc of Earth & Space & the one about dinos & made him read it & write summaries.

NOEO basically follows WTM layout, except there's a yr missing--it's incl in the other 3, though, & the ones we've done so far are so rich, you could easily spread them over 4 yrs.

We're finishing up Chem I now, but we've already started Phys I because it's just that much fun. We do experiments almost every week, even though they've got a Mama who's mess-phobic & never has basic household items & can't follow a recipe to save her life, *much* less an experiment. These are so easy, though, the kids could probably do them w/out me, IF I didn't enjoy doing them so much. (I didn't before NOEO.)

And finally, it's based on living books. That's SO important to me. I love that there are biographies of relevant scientists folded into every year.

For Chemistry, we've read about Marie Curie, made bouncy balls, marshmallows, volcanoes, crystals, & plastic, & learned SO much about Chemistry. That was my least fav of the sciences in highschool because it never made any sense. At the elem level, lol, it totally does, & having done this level, I feel just a smidge more capable of teaching it next time it comes around. Will I be qualified for highschool? I doubt it, but at least maybe I'll be able to talk to them about what they do wherever they do it! :001_smile:

Physics (from what I see in the teacher's manual) incl some astronomy, Galileo, Einstein, & other...physics stuff. We did an experiment last week on centrifugal motion, & before that, we constructed a "bridge" from string & rulers, learned about friction, force, &...other physics stuff. I never had physics, though, & so I'm absolutely drooling over this one. Hence the starting it before we're really ready.

Two sciences at once, though? For a lit major? THAT is how great NOEO is.

Wow, what a great review!! We are starting Chem I in June and now I'm really excited about it. Despite being a mathy/sciency person, I had a lousy Chem teacher in high school which made my two semesters in college very difficult. I'm not scared of chemistry at the elementary level, but now you have me eager to start. Thanks!

Grades K- 3: read alouds

Childcraft Library (encyclopedia) for grades K-3

CLP Nature Readers 1-4

The Burgess for Children series (Birds, Seashore, Animals, Flowers) with a bird feeder, binoculars and coloring books

LOTS of science kits/projects:

THames

Pets in a Jar

Painted butterflies

Delta Science in a Nutshell

Grades 4-6:

Mc-Graw Hill science textbooks (same that Calvert School uses)

Grades 7 & 8: older ds used PH Science Explorer series

Grade 7 this year Landmark Freedom Baptist Physical Science

Grade 8 next year - CPO Life Science

Watch:

PBS/NOVA

Life of Bird series

Blue Planet

& more

I thought I'd do it the "easy" way this year (first grade) and go with the A Beka science readers I picked up for cheap second hand. Not a good idea. While the readers have very nice illustrations and the boys do like looking at them, they are shallow and don't give me very much to go on. I really wish I would have followed TWTM science recommendations. I am planning, for second grade, to do Earth Science/Astronomy using TWTM and just pick up biology in 5th grade on the second go around.

If you are looking for a good solid science sequence for a (not very sciencey) middle schooler, I would do:

6th: Earth Science, CPO and/or PLATO/CyberEd

7th: Life Science, CPO and/or PLATO/CyberEd

8th: Physical Science, CPO and/or PLATO/CyberEd

The CyberEd/PLATO courses are interactive, online courses with great graphics, fun simulations, and built-in quizzes (with instant, printable grading). If you use these without a textbook, I'd supplement with DK books, experiments-for-kids type books, and other fun resources. This would be a fairly light, fun science course that would still cover all the important concepts and would require minimal teacher prep (other than buying/borrowing supplements like DK books).

The CPO textbooks provide a good solid overview of the important concepts, with very clear, concise explanations. They are not "dumbed down" ~ CPO was founded by a physicist from MIT (he also wrote the physics texts himself) ~ yet they are very easy to read and understand. The design of the books is very clean and well thought out. They're inexpensive to buy used, and there are lots of free teacher resources on the website. They would provide a very good foundation for HS science.

For the younger kids, I would just fold them into whatever your oldest is doing. If he's doing 6th grade Earth Science, have the younger ones read age appropriate library books on rocks & minerals, volcanoes, earthquakes, etc. Grab a book on earth science-focused experiments for kids and do whichever ones strike your fancy.

That's what I've been doing, anyway. DS12 has done all of the CyberEd courses as well as the CPO Earth Science text and most of CPO Life Science. DD7 goes along for the ride, with library books and videos from Discovery Streaming.

Jackie