Menu

Scheduling problems - can't get it all done

Laurie in VA

We are so "behind" where I wanted to be at this point in the year and I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Our schedule is supposed to look like this, in this order:

• 8:15-8:30: Bible
  • 8:30-9:30: LA
    spelling - 20 min.
    penmanship - 20 min.
    grammar - 20 min.
  • 9:30-10:30: math
    DD is advanced in math and we usually go until she tires, which is usually 45 min. to an hr.
  • 10:30-11:00: snack; free time

• 11:00-11:45: history (3 days/wk.)
  • 11:45-12:00: Latin
  • 12:00-1:00: lunch; free time
  • 1:00-1:30: reading (to self)
  • 1:30-2:30: science, art, or music (depending on the day)

IMO that's a bit long for a 6 yo (4hr, 45 min.). Even though she is doing 2nd and 3rd grade work, she is still only 6, but where do I cut back? And how?

Here is where the real problem comes in: our day never looks like that! DD can take as long as an hour to do penmanship (usually 4 lines from RFH-A). She might take 30 min. to do one page in SWO-C, although she is a natural speller and has no problems with the actual work. She may get 4 or 5 pages (with pictures) read in the entire half hour. See what I mean?

I don't know what I should do. I don't want to spend all morning constantly saying, "Scout. Scout. Pay attention. Scout. Do your work. Scout. Sit down. Scout..." But neither can we continue to take hours to do what should only take minutes.

Maybe this is a character issue, but I really don't think so. She can't seem to sit still, is easily distracted, etc. Interestingly enough, if I allow her to do her work orally (like math, for example) she can finish in a fraction of the time. Yesterday we tried math orally and she was done with an amazing amount of work in 15 minutes. If we do spelling orally, 5 minutes tops...strange.

What would you all suggest? How do I keep her on track? What should I expect from a bright 6 yo who seemingly takes forever to finish her work?

Some 6yo need to move a bit more. It looks like there is a lot of writing all at once in the morning.

Maybe you could try with:

Bible

Activity (Music, short game -- 30 min.)

Penmanship

Grammar

Spelling

Latin (assuming not a lot of writing there -- just chants, etc. -- move around again)

Snack Time

Math

History/Science Read Aloud

Lunch

Reading to self

Art/Games/Science Activity

You could also try starting school early (especially if she is anything like my dc and up before 7am). Our day starts around 7:15 am for Bible (which we do during breakfast time).

But breaking up the writing-intensive subjects with non-writing intensive subjects and more active work really helps with my active children.

It sounds like her writing ability is not up to the same level as her academic ability, which is very common for this age. Since it's not a discipline issue (I can do, I just don't want to), I would scale back on the amount of writing she does. Spelling, grammar, and even math can be done orally or on the whiteboard (this is a fun alternative for my boys). For penmanship, I would have her do her best work for 20 minutes maximum, and then call it quits for the day. At this age, I would set a time limit and not require a certain number sentences. For math you can do most of it orally, but I would have her do a couple of problems by hand just to get practice in writing numbers if it's not part of your handwriting program. Overall, I think you are doing a great job with your daughter. She's doing very well, but it may take a little time for her small motor skills to catch up with her mental capacity. I deal with this same issue at our homeschool.

TY, Lisa! we do dance for 10 min. to Bible songs first thing in the AM, but I'm sure DD needs to move more. That's partly why I give her a 30 in. break for snack - so she can play outside for a bit.

My thinking behind our schedule was to get the 2 Rs out of the way 1st thing, but maybe I should re-think the schedule as you suggested.

Take care!

I would consider what skills she is using in each subject, finding a balance in that regard has really helped my dd7. I would also shorten/streamline a few things.

Bible- Can she practice penmanship here?

Spelling, grammar, penmanship

- Consider why you're doing spelling and grammar at this stage, would covering these orally be better at this time if you feel convicted to do them?

Math- I would back away from spending 1 hour on math at this age, she has plenty of years ahead of her where she will need to spend that much time on math. I would try to keep it to 30 minutes and if she wants more, give her more after the rest of the lessons.

Snack time- I would shorten this to 15 min. and probably break it up.

Here's an example of what I'm suggesting:

• 8:30-8:50: LA
    spelling, grammar - 20 min.
    penmanship - 20 min. (can you add into another subject like Bible?)
    BREAK 15 MIN
  • 9:15-9:45: math
    30 minutes
  • 10:15-10:30: snack

• 10:30-11:15: history (3 days/wk.)
  • 11:15-11:30 Latin
  • 11:30-12:00 reading (to self)

Do you accomplish art, science, music when it is after lunch? Personally, I would drop spelling and grammar, move Latin to the morning after Bible. Allow her to snack while you read history and then give her the time of independent reading after history.

Bible- 15 min (8:15-8:30)

LA- Penmanship and Latin 30 min (8:30-9:00)

Math - 30 min (9:00-9:30)

History (snack for her while you read aloud) 45 minutes (9:30-10:15)

Ind. Reading 30 min (10:45)

Science, art, music until lunch time at 12:00

This is how it could look. I don't know if that helps

Another thing you might try is letting the lesson be over after 20 minutes or so, whether she has done all you wanted her to or not. You might even try 10-15 minute lessons. Perhaps if she knows it will be over sooner she will be able to focus for that short time. You can even use a timer if that helps her visualize the time, but not if it stresses her out.

I have one who has struggled to focus (he's getting better, though!), so I sympathize completely. I think the advice about breaks, movement and oral work is excellent.

Heather

Not sure if this suggestion will be helpful or not. It was taking my son over 45-minutes to do one Horizon Math lesson (one page front and back). I knew this had nothing to do with ability, and everything to do with focus. I finally told him he was only going to have 30-minutes to complete his math work. If he did not finish, he would need to complete the work after we finished our scheduled school work for the day. If he finished early, he would be permitted to read, color, build with legos, etc. during the remaining time scheduled for math (after any corrections were made). The NEXT DAY he finished the lesson in 20-minutes, missing only 1 problem. The FOLLOWING DAY he finished the lesson in 15-minutes, and missed 0 problems. Some days it does take him more time than this, but I stay true to my word, and give him the free time even if it is only 5-minutes.

Hope this helps.

Krista

None of my dc were able to concentrate for an hour in math at age 6. My 7 year old usually finishes his math assignments in 20 minutes. If the work is harder, and he can't finish in that time, he slows way down, and can hardly get one problem finished. My dd's were the same way at that age. I just have to say, "Okay, that's enough for today." Lessons are kept very short--10 to 15 minutes. Assignments are also kept short.

If I were you, I would just shorten everything. 30 minutes for history, science, art, etc seems like plenty of time for a 6 year old. My dc couldn't silently read for very long at that age either. My son currently reads for about 10 minutes on his own. He reads well, but just doesn't have the attention span yet for longer periods of time. I don't worry about that anymore because I know that as he gets older, his ability to work longer will increase too.

Hope this helps.

How are you having her do the lessons? Are you talking them out with her while she is doing them or are you having her just do the work?

I ask because we have had similar issues in the past with that as well. It is not a discipline issue, but a maturity issue, I think. Younger ones have more trouble staying on task without constant interaction. You have gotten some great advice already. I just wanted to share what has worked for us in this area given we have had similar problems.

One is to do the work orally. Another is that ds will tell me the answers while I write them down for him. Another is that I discuss every single problem with him while he is working. It really helps keep him focused and shows him how to think about what he is doing and how to move on to the next. It is modeling the process for him so that he can, when ready, move on to doing that by himself. It takes more of my time that way, but the end results are much better, I find. There is a greater degree of understanding and retention by working with him in this way. Issues pop up at the time rather than later. This prevents frustration at the moment and allows him to move more successfully through the rest of the lesson.

These are what have worked and continue to work for us. Mine are in 4th and 1st, btw.

Good luck!

Another thing you might try is letting the lesson be over after 20 minutes or so, whether she has done all you wanted her to or not.

TY, Heather! I thought of that, but am fearful to try it. She takes sooooo long now that I am afraid if we did reduce the time to 10-20 min. we would get nothing at all done, LOL! But - it is worth a try. I have thought of making a chart of some sort where she will get stickers for each subject she completes "on time". Then at the end of the week she will get some sort of reward. Until now DH and I have avoided that sort of thing but may give it a try.

Thanks again for posting!

None of my dc were able to concentrate for an hour in math at age 6.

If I were you, I would just shorten everything.

TY! I am all for shortening things - believe me! The problem is getting her to do the work without staring out the window or getting up and walking around the room! For instance, her grammar should take no more than 5 min. (10 tops), but I schedule 20 min. because I know it will take her forever.

The math I schedule for an hour because she loves math and does very well with it. As long as she does 2-3 pages I'm good. I let her go until she gets tired. Some days she does a page or two but most days she will want to keep going (and going...).

Thanks for the input - I'll see how we can shorten things and hopefully see some improvement!

Not sure if this suggestion will be helpful or not...I finally told him he was only going to have 30-minutes to complete his math work. If he did not finish, he would need to complete the work after we finished our scheduled school work for the day. If he finished early, he would be permitted to read, color, build with legos, etc....

TY Krista! That is one thing I have tried multiple times. It is honestly as if she can't concentrate to get the work done. A shadow will disrupt her. A sound from the dog in the next room. She complains that she has information stored in her "brain pockets" but can't get it out. She's very frustrated and I just hate it for her. Giving her a time limit (even a generous one) seems to cause a tremendous amount of stress for her, but I do appreciate the suggestion!

I'm finding that my children aren't ready for more than an hour or so of work until they are around 8.

I would do one line of Handwriting at a time. Then you can do one later after another subject. 20 minutes of Math is plenty per day unless she asks for more. I would set a timer and when it's off then close the book and move on. You can always crack the book open later in the day if she decides she wants more. Next year you can add 10 minutes to that time and the next another 10 minutes.

Do some of the work orally. Mix it up. Some days science is first and some days it's third OR make one day a Science only day. Write from your text or do copywork. Do as much as you can just from your science. Do experiments (get a kit if you don't have anything with your choices). Print out some experiment sheets and that can be her writing for the day.

I think she is way too young for that much work unless she is really wanting it. I just wouldn't push it with her.

Mix it up. Some days science is first and some days it's third OR make one day a Science only day.

TY for that idea! I might ask DD if she would like to switch things up a bit! I was online looking at a local private academy the other day (we are headed there for a symphony concert, for children not for DD to enroll) and noticed that they switch their subjects every day. I thought it interesting.

Thanks again!

It sounds like her writing ability is not up to the same level as her academic ability...I would scale back on the amount of writing she does.

TY, Beth. I try to keep her total writing at no more than (what should be) 20 min./day, but there are areas where I can scale it back more. TY for the reminder!

I would consider what skills she is using in each subject, finding a balance in that regard has really helped my dd7...Do you accomplish art, science, music when it is after lunch? Personally, I would drop spelling and grammar, move Latin to the morning after Bible. Allow her to snack while you read history and then give her the time of independent reading after history.

TY, Jessica! We do very little art and science unfortunately. She does get science 1x/wk in co-op, though so I am not too bothered by what we do or do not accomplish in the home. Music we listen to in the car.

I do plan on dropping spelling after she finishes this book. She is a natural speller and I see no need to continue. Grammar is so easy - FLL - and we both like it so it will probably stay. I like the idea of snack while I read to her, but she has so much energy that I give her that 30 min. in the morning to run around outside and get some fresh air. I like the idea of Latin after Bible, though, and will certainly consider it.

Again, thanks for the input!

How are you having her do the lessons? Are you talking them out with her while she is doing them or are you having her just do the work?

In all honesty I am probably not doing as much as I could. I am in the same room with her for a lot of it, but I also am working with my youngest while DD#1 works independently.

More to ponder...;)

IMHO, even if she were working to schedule, an hour of language arts per day is too much. If she's a natural speller, I wouldn't be doing spelling at all until her writing had improved, or I would have her do penmanship OR spelling. How is her retention in FLL? 20 minute lessons seem long... if she's a bright girl, FLL may be painfully boring for her. We did lots of compaction and outright skipping of lessons. Have you considered dropping grammar until you have the time to get her into meatier stuff?

I'd also be inclined to cut the math down to 20 minutes and do it orally.

IMO that's a bit long for a 6 yo (4hr, 45 min.). Even though she is doing 2nd and 3rd grade work, she is still only 6, but where do I cut back? And how?
I also have an advanced 6yo, and strive to keep days short. We do 20 min. of math (then stop), 1 page of Megawords, 1-2 pages of the Spanish workbook, and about 20 minutes of Lively Latin. We do history every day: 1 hour of read aloud or a 20-30 minutes lesson in HO. She's on a big Spanish kick right now, so we've dropped all other subjects to let her take a second Spanish Curricula in addition to The Learnables.

I think the key with bright kids is to cover basics and give them enough freedom to pursue their interested.

Here is where the real problem comes in: our day never looks like that! DD can take as long as an hour to do penmanship (usually 4 lines from RFH-A). She might take 30 min. to do one page in SWO-C, although she is a natural speller and has no problems with the actual work. She may get 4 or 5 pages (with pictures) read in the entire half hour. See what I mean?
That is much too long. Have you considered that the work might simply be boring for her? Her mind may be racing far ahead of her ability to write. This is very frustrating. You then write:

Interestingly enough, if I allow her to do her work orally (like math, for example) she can finish in a fraction of the time. Yesterday we tried math orally and she was done with an amazing amount of work in 15 minutes. If we do spelling orally, 5 minutes tops...strange.
I'd say you are a long way towards answering your own question. :)

Hi Laurie. You said, "if I allow her to do her work orally (like math, for example) she can finish in a fraction of the time. Yesterday we tried math orally and she was done with an amazing amount of work in 15 minutes. If we do spelling orally, 5 minutes tops...strange."

It seems to me that you know the answer to your question. It's really not strange at all. She sounds like a perfectly normal six year old. Just do most everything orally. :) Do the math on a white board together. Do spelling orally, or let her dictate/point, and do the writing for her. For handwriting, do 5-7 minutes of concentrated practice, then stop. Pick up where she left off the next day. 5 minutes of perfect copying is worth more than a whole hour of tiresome, bored, fidgety, distracted, just-get-it-over with messing around.

She's bright, but she's still only six. That's very young to expect concentrated, self-motivated, individual study. If she needs the support, give it to her. It may seem like you're wasting your time, but if she's done in "a fraction of the time", it'll save you time in the long run. Just carve out an hour and a half of your day, sit with her at the table for handwriting and spelling (15 minutes), stand at the white board (or sliding glass door) to do math with markers (20 minutes), cuddle on the couch for grammar and history (45 minutes). Let her read to you, or buddy-read (10-15 minutes). A half hour is a long time for a six year old to read to themselves, unless they're avid readers. Drop Latin for now. Then, do lunch, and your fun afternoon activities (science, art, music).

It's a journey, not a race.

My ds6 is the same way. Although we don't do spelling or grammer in the traditional sense. We do most of our things orally. My ds hates to write b/c he doesn't think his letters are perfect. It really stresses him out if it is not exactly what he thinks it should be. I found out that he thought the handwriting book was boring. Switching his handwriting book made a difference. The other big difference is that he is competitative, sooo I decided to see if he can improve his time everyday. With those couple of changes handwriting, we went from 45 min of me wanting to pull my hair out to 20 min of time to spend with the younger one. :001_smile:

TY! I am all for shortening things - believe me! The problem is getting her to do the work without staring out the window or getting up and walking around the room! For instance, her grammar should take no more than 5 min. (10 tops), but I schedule 20 min. because I know it will take her forever.

The math I schedule for an hour because she loves math and does very well with it. As long as she does 2-3 pages I'm good. I let her go until she gets tired. Some days she does a page or two but most days she will want to keep going (and going...).

Thanks for the input - I'll see how we can shorten things and hopefully see some improvement!

At 6 years old, my children do their schoolwork in my lap, with my direct help, for all of it. They *have* to pay attention because I am right there with them guiding them, engaged with them in all of it. They can't get up and walk around the room, because they're snuggling with Mom.

However, what we do is very short and sweet. A math lesson (never more than 20 minutes - if we don't finish, we continue the next day), a grammar lesson (all oral, often with a little copywork), a phonics lesson (again oral, and in my lap), and handwriting.

For history, I read to them, and maybe they'll color a map or something. Again, they snuggle as I read. We are not doing any Latin yet. Science is sporadic and mostly nature study. We won't do spelling until they're further along in phonics, but again, it will be done on Mom's lap, until they're old enough and mature enough to do the work.

right now I have a 6 year old and a 7 year old, and this is how we do their school, every day. I can usually finish the math/grammar/handwriting/phonics/copywork component with both of them in a total of an hour this way. I just pull them onto my lap, we do it, and they're done. Then they play while I work with my older sons, and I read to them later in the day.

You might try shortening the length of time you spend on subjects. You can do this and still come out ahead. For example, you could tell your daughter that you'll time her for five minutes while she does handwriting. If she writes the whole time, she won't have to do any more handwriting.

This is a win-win for both of you because your daughter learns to concentrate and be on task for the whole time (while probably getting more done than she would otherwise) while shortening her school day. It's a benefit for you because you don't have to keep making comments to have her stay on task.

• 8:30-9:30: LA

spelling - 20 min.

penmanship - 20 min.

grammar - 20 min.

• 9:30-10:30: math

DD is advanced in math and we usually go until she tires, which is usually 45 min. to an hr.

• 10:30-11:00: snack; free time

• 11:00-11:45: history (3 days/wk.)

• 11:45-12:00: Latin

• 1:00-1:30: reading (to self)

I would suggest alternating some of your subjects rather than doing them every day. To cut down on the LA hour, I would try spelling on MWF and grammar on TR for about 15 minutes and then an additional 15 minutes of penmanship. The grammar can be done orally to lighten the writing load even more two days a week. You can also alternate the history 3 days a week with a day of science and a day of either art or music. This will cut out your afternoon school time. You might also consider shortening math to 45 minutes and have her stop before she gets tired. HTH

I've read some great advice that I'll be using for my 6yos ds. I always was trying to get him to do independent work like not having to check each problem at a time, rather have him do the section and then I'd check it. But reading what many of you are saying it seems normal for them to want mom there for every problem. I did notice he goes much faster orally as well but thought I should encourage the sit down style as that is what he'll need later on in standardized test and all. So those of you who've tried the oral lesson or sit with them the entire "desk time" do they eventually grow out of it and have more independent work time?

...my almost 6 DD is very similar. I know what you mean! Something that I have noticed about her is that her fine motor skills still haven't caught up to her other academic abilities, and writing quickly becomes an obstacle to completion of tasks. She will write the first few answers/words/etc. and then she seems to slow down and need a lot of prodding. I can tell she is tiring of the physical act of writing. She developed quickly and is quite "advanced" in many areas, but this is one where she is "a late bloomer" (she never really was interested in drawing or scribbling as a preschooler, either).

I guess I just wanted to say, "you're not alone." I've seen a lot of good advice come from this thread, thanks for posting it. :001_smile: