Menu

Ok, who DOESN'T like MCT?

dancer67

All the great talks about MCT, and I have it on the way. Haven't heard any negatives. Anyone who DIDN'T/DOESN'T like it? And why?

You might want to rephrase that as: Anyone who actually TRIED TO USE MCT and didn''t like it? And why? (or you will get responses like "I looked at the sample and don't see what the fuss is about" or "I looked at my friends copy and I'm not impressed, it is too quick, not meaty and I don't get it." :001_huh:

:lurk5:

We are using MCT Voyage and I like it, but we are having a tough time using it. At this stage in our homeschool, I need something I can 'assign' to my ds---not completely, but at least in part.

We have continual distractions and interuptions from little ones and IMO, MCT is difficult to use in those circumstances. I know the beauty of the program is the narrative style, but in our household right now we need more independent assignments. I'm spending way too much time feeling guilty that we aren't able to homeschool the way I'd like since MCT arrived.

I'd love to have the essence of MCT, even if it is watered down, in a workbook (GASP!) style so we could at least make some progress with it this year. Call it MCT Light!!!

ETA: I love the vision of MCT. If our household circumstances were different, I'd sit down for hours a day and go through the books with my student. I don't particularly like workbooks---but I've had to compromise for now. I was feeling alright with that until I ordered MCT!

Edited by homeschoolally

You might want to rephrase that as: Anyone who actually TRIED TO USE MCT and didn''t like it? And why? (or you will get responses like "I looked at the sample and don't see what the fuss is about" or "I looked at my friends copy and I'm not impressed, it is too quick, not meaty and I don't get it." :001_huh:

:lurk5:

:iagree:

Perhaps it's me and just not being able to see the big picture yet. I get that MCT is teaching them to control their own sentence and has a strong emphasis of grammar, sounds, and word placement when writing a sentence, it's just so different than other 3rd or 4th grade writing programs and approaches, thus an internal struggle for me. It also doesn't offer daily assignments or feedback on how to guide the child there if they give you a deer in the headlights look.

I need to see Paragraph Town and decide if we'll use it as a reader or our core writing program.

Please keep us updated on this! Because I like WWE so much, I am hoping to use MCT for Grammar, Vocabulary, Poetry and Practice and I would like to skip MCT writing to use WWE in its place.

:bigear:

We are using MCT Voyage and I like it, but we are having a tough time using it. At this stage in our homeschool, I need something I can 'assign' to my ds---not completely, but at least in part.

We have continual distractions and interuptions from little ones and IMO, MCT is difficult to use in those circumstances. I know the beauty of the program is the narrative style, but in our household right now we need more independent assignments. I'm spending way too much time feeling guilty that we aren't able to homeschool the way I'd like since MCT arrived.

I'd love to have the essence of MCT, even if it is watered down, in a workbook (GASP!) style so we could at least make some progress with it this year. Call it MCT Light!!!

ETA: I love the vision of MCT. If our household circumstances were different, I'd sit down for hours a day and go through the books with my student. I don't particularly like workbooks---but I've had to compromise for now. I was feeling alright with that until I ordered MCT!

I bought MCT- "Town" books for my ds. I just don't have time for the one-on-one interactions required. If he wasn't one of 7 children, I would love it. I will stick with Caesar's English next year for vocabulary, and I have Essay Voyage on my shelf to use in teaching the essay, but we have moved to some other things that allow more independent work.

I will say that, while Practice Town has been great for grammar, I do see the benefits in diagramming a sentence rather than just parsing. My ds says he understands grammar better now that we are doing Practice Town along with a diagramming book.

Leanna

I need to see Paragraph Town and decide if we'll use it as a reader or our core writing program.

Paragraph Town is vastly different from Sentence Island. I haven't used Sentence Island yet, though it's on my shelf. My older two are just about done with Paragraph Town.

Sentence Island by itself would not be enough for my bright but not gifted 9yo. She's more mathy than wordy anyway. I fully plan on using WWE up through level 4, even if I do use Sentence Island alongside. They focus on entirely different skills, and I'd see them as complementary.

Paragraph Town has 20 actual assignments in the back that are specifically tied to certain pages in the book, as well as much more teacher help to round out a lesson with extra grammar, usage, discussion. Especially in the later exercises, I've found it fairly easy to assign them to write about something else we're studying, so it works double-duty.

Essay Voyage is even much more "serious". The teacher section in the back is slim. I'm going to have to sit down and parse the book to figure out how to split up the lessons. Paragraph Town with its nicely delineated lessons in the back seems much more open and go. But I haven't actually used EV yet, so I'll let y'all know how that goes when I get there! I'm hoping I can make most of those assignments cross-curricular.

I retract my previous comments about the MCT grammar not being meaty enough because you all were right about it being included (the bulk of the grammar instruction is in the "writing" book, which I had not originally previewed).

Ask me at the end of the semester whether I ever did warm up to it. So far I haven't. Believe or not, I *AM* trying to make it work because the vocab book Caesar's English is outstanding and Building Poems is a decent little poetry analysis book.

I could go into detail but the main issue I have with the grammar portion is how MCT chose to organize the material. If you like having all the information pertaining to a particular topic (say verbs) in one place the way a book like FLL does, MCT probably isn't for you.

I'm planning to continue with MCT vocab and possibly the poetry after we finish the "town" level. Jury's still out on the grammar/writing.

I actually have my 9 y/o using WWE (he's just finishing level 3) and Remedia Outlining book 2 (he already completed book 1) in addition to MCT.

Same here! My 9yr is doing WWE3 and Remedia Outlining book 2. We did book Fall 2009. We're in Island level and working through Sentence Island.

My 6.5yr old is in WWE2.

I see WWE and MCT writing as different skill sets and I think we need both and so far it's not been a problem.

The only book you write in is the Practice Book for Island level. The teacher portions of the grammar and writing book have a few exercises to photocopy to practice skills but not a lot. I think this is also true for Town Level.

Edited by Capt_Uhura

The only book you write in is the Practice Book for each level. The teacher portions of the grammar and writing book have a few exercises to photocopy to practice skills but not a lot.

Caesar's English does have some wordsearch puzzles in the student books.

Just last week I asked for any negative reviews people had of MCT. I had so few responses I went ahead and ordered it this week. The entire Island series. Talk about being nervous.

The one thing I read several times is that it is teacher intensive. That is fine with me since language arts is my favorite subject. My twins are using WWE and will continue to do so for now. The biggest hurdle for me was the cost. I allayed those fears with the knowledge that I can easily resell the program.

Now I'm waiting for that box to reach my front doo.

I actually have my 9 y/o using WWE (he's just finishing level 3) and Remedia Outlining book 2 (he already completed book 1) in addition to MCT.

My middler, 8 is using WWE 2 (he completed 1 and is wrapping up 2) and IEW's All Things Fun and Fascinating along with MCT.

I do think MCT's writing is worth reading together even if you use something else as your core writing program.

We school mornings only and have no trouble completing the above, but middle school will likely be a different story, which is why I'm trying to trust one program.

I like WWE for the comprension, summarizing skills, and holding thoughts during dictation.

I like IEW because of the step by step guidance and the theme books are open and go.

I like MCT because it gets you to think outside the box.

So you can easily use all 3 (IEW, MCT, WWE);)? I have contemplated this and I am wondering if it is feasible:D