Menu

Any great honeymoon ideas for the Keys or other white sand in the states location?

I love Key West for the wild side,but for a honeymoon, I think Seaside or San Destin (a small secluded section of Destin) on the Florida Gulf Coast would be ideal! They'd likely fly into Pensacola, FL or Mobile, AL and rent a car for the 1 - 2 hour drive.

http://www.seasidefl.com/

http://www.destinfl.com/

The Gulf Coast beaches of Florida are stunning and swimmable!

I think Gulf Shores, Alabama is NASTY, but that's just me! Super touristy and airbrush-shoppy. ICKY.

Ds wants a white sand beach and blue water honeymoon, but his fiance can't find her birth certificate so no time for passports by June (Plus passport fees). Has anyone been to a romantic location in the Keys? Other ideas?

Maui?

You actually do not need a passport for the US Virgin Islands. You don't need one for Puerto Rico, either, both places are US territories.

All territories: American Samoa, Baker Island, Howland Island, Guam, Jarvis Island, Johnston Atoll, Kingman Reef, Midway Islands, Navassa Island, Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, Palmyra Atoll, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands (St. Croix, St. John and St. Thomas), and Wake Island.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Dauphin Island is south of Mobile, AL and is much quieter than than Gulf Shores if that is what they are looking for. It is a barrier island so the sand is white. Most people are not aware of it so I think prices are lower than some other areas also. There are a few hotels but there are also a very large number of rental houses. There are oil/natural gas rigs offshore if that is a major scenery problem. There is a historic fort on the east end of the island and all stores, houses, and other development are on the eastern half of the island. The western half is public beach. It is literally possible to walk far enough west to not be able to see any houses or other buildings.

Just a thought, for any beach honeymoon during hurricane season it might be a good idea to have a backup plan in case of any storms. June is pretty early in the season and there are generally not very many storms that early but you never can tell.

We went to Seaside for our honeymoon and loved every minute!

Re: Birth certificate - I'm sure this varies by state, but the bride might want to double check that your state and/or county don't require a birth certificate to obtain a marriage license. Dh had to order a copy of his before we could get our license.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
The beaches at Destin are gorgeous!

:iagree:

I don't know what it is, if they're protected by the way the tide comes in or what (I'm ocean ignorant) but they are just the prettiest beaches I have ever seen. We vacationed there for a week this summer and DH (a TX native and someone who lived a while in Galveston) couldn't believe it was the Gulf of Mexico. My dad even says Destin's beaches were prettier than Hawaii. That blew my mind but I believe it after seeing the Destin beaches. The water is crystal clear and the white beaches are gorgeous.

ETA: And when people say Destin, they mean Destin. DH and I stayed at Fort Walton beach years ago, just down the road from Destin and I remember thinking eh. In Destin I kept thinking it was paradise!

Seaside is fun and relaxing. Think the idealyic 50's town, but on the beach. We went aout 3 yrs ago though and the beach was almost gone and muddy looking. They also had a red tide, which is an irritant, that usually comes in Sept and causes most people to cough.

Rosemary Beach is also nice (it's next to Seaside) but I can't speak to the condition of the beach.

San Destin is nice in Destin.

Orange Beach and Gulf Shores have some very nice condos, but I don't know if I'd call it romantic. There are some fun restaurants, plenty of tourist shiops, concerts and shopping. Gorgeous, deep white beaches. Not too crowded. Activities such as dolphin cruises, deep sea fishing (expensive), jet ski rentals, kayak rentals etc.

I'm going to agree with those that suggest Destin, or in general, Gulf Coast FL or AL. The beaches in the Keys really don't compare.

If they want a more exotic location, they could choose Hawaii (Kauai is the most beautiful - esp the beaches/mountains - stay on the north shore) or the US Virgin Islands.

Out of all of those, I'd choose Kauai. The Virgin Islands would be second. They should look at them all and see what appeals to them.

The beaches at Destin are gorgeous!

:iagree:we went there last summer. Dh and I are beach nuts and have been to several popular beaches around the country, these still took my breath away, gorgeous.

Somewhere in Hawaii would be my other top choice.

I'm going to agree with those that suggest Destin, or in general, Gulf Coast FL or AL. The beaches in the Keys really don't compare.

FYI: The Keys aren't known for their beaches (we're a chain of coral islands w/no surf to make sand.) Folks come here for the diving & fishing (live coral reef 7 miles off-shore along w/many wrecks to check out.) Yes, Key West sells more beer than any county in the state (and the island is only 2x4 miles), but there's also great restaurants and lots of history.

FYI: The Keys aren't known for their beaches (we're a chain of coral islands w/no surf to make sand.) Folks come here for the diving & fishing (live coral reef 7 miles off-shore along w/many wrecks to check out.) Yes, Key West sells more beer than any county in the state (and the island is only 2x4 miles), but there's also great restaurants and lots of history.

I agree - that's why I said the beaches in the Keys don't compare (meaning they weren't as nice). Sorry if I wasn't clear. I love the Keys, but for camping along the ocean and diving, not for the beaches. Even Bahia Honda (the best beach there IMO) wouldn't match those of Destin or Kauai (HI). Actually, the diving isn't as good as Hawaii either, but it's nice for continental US.

I agree - that's why I said the beaches in the Keys don't compare (meaning they weren't as nice). Sorry if I wasn't clear. I love the Keys, but for camping along the ocean and diving, not for the beaches. Even Bahia Honda (the best beach there IMO) wouldn't match those of Destin or Kauai (HI). Actually, the diving isn't as good as Hawaii either, but it's nice for continental US.

I was just helping the understanding since I actually live here. :D I worked reservations at a resort here & people were astounded that the hotel didn't have a beach! They think Florida == beach. The sugar-sand of the panhandle is beautiful, the surfing in Palm Beach is a draw, but you don't come to Monroe Co. for the beach. :tongue_smilie:

They were leaning towards Kauai when we found great prices, but within a few hours they went up. Ds said he felt like he was playing the stock market. He's also just a couple of months short of 25 yrs old so there was going to be a $27 per day surcharge on top of each day's rental car charges. So..... drum roll...... the decision was LaPlaya on Naples beach. They can fly into Tampa and get our car, then drive down there. The hotel looks awesome and they got a deal on a Premium King room with ocean view and jacuzzi tub.

The only problem, I've done so much looking at this place and that, now I really want to go somewhere! LOL!

Thanks for all your help! If anyone has Naples tips, let me know. :)