Menu

Human Odyssey users--

SoCal Sandra

Is Human Odyssey suitable for outlining by logic stage students?

Dss start 5th grade next year and I want to follow the WTM suggestions re: outlining a history encyclopedia, but Human Odyssey sounds like it will appeal to dss more than the Kingfisher history encyclopedia will.

Are any of your logic stage students outlining Human Odyssey?

TIA.

Are you talking about Spielvogel or K12's Human Odyssey?

K12's is 7th grade level and would be doable by a 5th grader, but it still has far more text and fewer illustrations than Kingfisher.

Spielvogel's Human Odyssey is a huge HS-level text (around 10th grade, I think), which would be quite a slog for the average 5th grader. Small type and LOTS of text. Are you planning to spread the book over 4 years?

Jackie

Do you mean "World History: The Human Odyssey" by Spielvogel? If so, that is definitely a high school textbook, and would be pretty overwhelming for a 5th grader.

If you're thinking of social studies textbooks for middle school years, perhaps look into what your local public or private schools are using? BEST of luck in finding what works for your family! Warmly, Lori D.

I have K-12 Human Odyssey and I am just starting to "try" the WTM method so I reread what Susan had to say about doing it in the 3rd edition. If I am reading it right, the student is supposed to get facts from a reference source such as Kingfisher or Usborne and then pick an interesting topic from the reference and do a short write up on it based on further research. She says to then outline from "the most interesting history resource he's read during the week." Since my ds will most likely say none of it was interesting I thought I would use K-12 HO as a backup. But he has not actually done it yet so I cannot comment on how it will do. I think the point of outlining is to both help the student follow good writing and organization and to help internalize what he has read. Somebody correct me if I have this wrong.

I'm going to be using the K12 Human Odyssey as my spine, which I'll read aloud. I'm contemplating having my two older ones outline Gombrich's Little History of the World alongside it. The chapters seem fairly short, or I could break up the longer ones. I've made a little grid that more or less aligns the chapters in Gombrich to K12HO.

This year I'm having them outline The Way Life Works. That has been going very well.

Edited by matroyshka

matroyshka - can you tell me more about K12 Human Odyssey book 1 for Ancients? What do you like about it? It sounds like it is right up our alley! Can you ever have too many history books?:lol:

Well, I haven't started using it yet - but I can hardly wait. We'll probably start this coming week - as soon as I finish reading them a book titled The End of the Cold War. :tongue_smilie: Then it's back to Sumer for us!

The book is just gorgeous. The layout is nice and readable, with lots of white space and not too many sidebars. Great for reading aloud. The prose is conversational in style, but not overly chatty. It has beautiful pictures. They've also included stories from the various cultures, but since we'll be reading lots of myths alongside as well, that didn't matter that much to me one way or another. The book is broken into four parts, and at the end of each one is a nice pictoral timeline.

One thing I find very odd is that the first six (!) chapters are on Sumer, but there are only two on all of Ancient Egypt! So I'll be reading through the first 6 chapters quickly, and adding a lot of stuff on Egypt on the side. :) Other than that it seems very balanced, and I just love that they also include a history of the world's major philosopies/religions as they arise chronologically, in what appears to be a nice evenhanded manner. There's a chapter or more each on Confucianism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, and Greek Humanism, then later Christianity and Islam.

My plans were to use History Odyssey level 2 Ancients and substitute something for The Story of Mankind. I've borrowed Gombrich's Little History of the World. I also National Geo World History Almanac. Contemplating getting K12 Human Odyssey. :lol: I could compare all 3 and see which ones I want to use as the supplement spine for outlining and such. HHmmmm any thoughts on this?

My plans were to use History Odyssey level 2 Ancients and substitute something for The Story of Mankind. I've borrowed Gombrich's Little History of the World. I also National Geo World History Almanac. Contemplating getting K12 Human Odyssey. :lol: I could compare all 3 and see which ones I want to use as the supplement spine for outlining and such. HHmmmm any thoughts on this?

I have never used a history curriculum. It's waaay to much fun to make up my own! :D

I can share my absolutely insane plans that include so much material that I already know a bunch of it will drop off. Probably what's going to happen is I'll throw it all at the wall and see what sticks. :tongue_smilie:

Read-aloud:

Spine: K12 Human Odyssey

Also probably: lots of the myths of each culture, with some being independent reading

Independent Reading:

Lots of historical fiction, biographies, more myths

Older 2: relevant books/sections in World in Ancient Times series

Younger: relevant books/sections in People of the Ancient World series

Outlining:

Gombrich's Little History of the World

Comprehension: Answer some of the questions in Speilvogel's Human Odyssey (yes, I have that as well). I was going to have them read the parallel sections too, but I realized with this much other reading that was nuts, so I thought maybe I'd just ask them to do some of the section or unit review questions - hopefully they will have picked up the info from their other reading? Anyway, it seems easier than making up my own questions.

Primary Sources:

The World in Ancient Times series has a Primary Sources volume. Also got a great looking compilation of Primary Source documents called Eyewitness to History.

Audio:

Also thought we might listen to Story of the World on CD, probably in the car. We've never done SOTW, and I thought particularly my younger one might like to have that in the mix.

With US history we always did music from the time period. With Ancients I don't think that works, but as soon as we hit medieval, it'll be back in the mix.

Visual:

Going to get a membership at the Fine Arts museum and make trips per culture.

Also lots of documentaries. I've been TiVoing them for years now...

Oh, and I was thinking of getting Gombrich's Story of Art, which is an illustrated, chronological Art History book, and looking at that as needed.

May also get Mapping the World with Art. Because I don't have enough material yet. :D

Timeline: I just got the Add-a-Century Timeline, which I am incredibly impressed with. For reference, I also have the National Geo's Consice History of the World Timeline, and on the wall Nothinger's World History Chart.

Reference: Also liked the National Geo Visual History of the World so much I had to get it just for reference. I've decided it would be too much to actually add it as any kind of requirement.

Science History: and... I think I'll have them read through Hakim's Story of Science - the time periods covered in each volume roughly line up with the three K12 volumes - though I don't think I'll bother aligning them past that. (this is just my older two).

Writing: I own IEW's Ancient History writing lessons. Not sure if we'll actually use it, or if I'll just assign them things from Essay Voyage and give them something from history as a topic.

Think I'll have time for any other subjects? :tongue_smilie:

matroyshka - can you tell me more about K12 Human Odyssey book 1 for Ancients? What do you like about it? It sounds like it is right up our alley! Can you ever have too many history books?:lol:

Capt_Uhura

If you go to the K12 site, you can download a scope & sequence. You do have to put in some personal info, but if you are curious, it would probably be worth it. There are even some writing prompts in it.

I recently moved to the K12 volume in an effort to streamline our history. Like matroyshka, I had a wealth of materials to start with this year. I love history and wanted to have a wide variety of resources. For us, the reality came down to the fact that I was not willing to give up math, science, or language arts hours to accommodate my history program. I also had too much redundancy across materials.

The K12 volume has been an easy answer for us. I still supplement, but far less so. It is more challenging for my 6th grade son to outline than Kingfisher but so far he seems to be doing fine. I outline a section before he does it so I know the basic flow.

Funny how one always bumps into the same people on curriculum threads.:D

I recently moved to the K12 volume in an effort to streamline our history. Like matroyshka, I had a wealth of materials to start with this year. I love history and wanted to have a wide variety of resources. For us, the reality came down to the fact that I was not willing to give up math, science, or language arts hours to accommodate my history program. I also had too much redundancy across materials.

Yep, the reality hasn't hit here, so I'm still in pie-in-the-sky fantasyland. :D I'll let y'all know how it what makes it through the sieve of reality.

One way I squish history in is that we do virtually none of it during "school hours". They read most of their books after they get ready for bed, then I come read to them for a bit. Documentaries get watched in the early evening. Music and audio books in the car. What's new is till now I haven't required much output - writing or comprehension, so that will start impacting things.

:D

:001_smile:

Did I mention I also have Hakim's History of US as well as study guides to go with those. AND was planning to fold in Hakim's Story of Science. AND Livingmath.net's Math history plans. Oh and I also have The Annotated Arch (chronological history of architecture) AND the Annotated Mona Lisa (chronological history of art) AND Music History for Dummies. OH and I have two myths of cultures books. And Usborne book of Religions. Oh my.....

I too own DK's Visual Definitive Guide for both History and Science. :lol:

I haven't decided about a timeline book since SWB said if you have DK Definitive Visual guide you didn't need one. DId she say that? I'll have to check.

My reason for trying History Odyssey was to make it more pick up and go as far as outlining and read this next....to get my feet wet and get us moving. I think I just need to START and see what sticks as you say.

I think I'll buy the K12 Human Odyssey. SOunds like a good resource.

Thank you for the discussion everyone! I need to mull over this some more today. What I really need is a week ALONE with all my history materials, do the first lessons myself, see what's easy to outline, what books I like best, and then write up plans.

Capt_Uhura

Edited by Capt_Uhura

Yep, the reality hasn't hit here, so I'm still in pie-in-the-sky fantasyland. :D I'll let y'all know how it what makes it through the sieve of reality.

One way I squish history in is that we do virtually none of it during "school hours". They read most of their books after they get ready for bed, then I come read to them for a bit. Documentaries get watched in the early evening. Music and audio books in the car. What's new is till now I haven't required much output - writing or comprehension, so that will start impacting things.

:D

:001_smile:

Did I mention I also have Hakim's History of US as well as study guides to go with those. AND was planning to fold in Hakim's Story of Science. AND Livingmath.net's Math history plans. Oh and I also have The Annotated Arch (chronological history of architecture) AND the Annotated Mona Lisa (chronological history of art) AND Music History for Dummies. OH and I have two myths of cultures books. And Usborne book of Religions. Oh my.....

I too own DK's Visual Definitive Guide for both History and Science. :lol:

I haven't decided about a timeline book since SWB said if you have DK Definitive Visual guide you didn't need one. DId she say that? I'll have to check.

My reason for trying History Odyssey was to make it more pick up and go as far as outlining and read this next....to get my feet wet and get us moving. I think I just need to START and see what sticks as you say.

I think I'll buy the K12 Human Odyssey. SOunds like a good resource.

Thank you for the discussion everyone! I need to mull over this some more today. What I really need is a week ALONE with all my history materials, do the first lessons myself, see what's easy to outline, what books I like best, and then write up plans.

Capt_Uhura

Matroyshka, I hit upon my history plan a bit late in the summer to have it all scheduled for the school year. Also, it is the output that started to slow us down. You will be just fine.

Capt._Uhuru, I have numerous encyclopedias including the DK Visual Definitive guides except mine are for history and art. I have entire sets of ancient science and art books as well as the Child's History of Art Series and the first book in Hakim's Story of Science. My World in Ancient Times series has found a new home even though I really like the support materials. There is an ancient science experiment book and an architecture book. Add in a couple of project books, a unit on mythology, and numerous movies and you have either a recipe for a marvelous year or a year of frustration.

The funniest part is that I will do something similar for next year's medieval studies but will scale it back and have it all scheduled before the school year starts. Unless of course you all tempt me with yet another fabulous resource.

I suspect that if we were in the same room, we could hold our own home school conference.:D

Oh yes, this is my long-winded way of saying that I am happy enough with Human Odyssey to keep it as a spine for next year.

Can someone who has K12 Human Odyssey Ancients please type up a paragraph so I can get an idea of style and reading level? I can't find any peeks inside the book.

(where's my pretty please w/ cherry on top icon?)

Capt_Uhura

I can do it in just a few minutes when ds is done with the book. You might want to pm Nicole M and ask her how she likes Human Odyssey. She actually used the Prehistory volume last year and is on Volume 2 right now.

I can do it in just a few minutes when ds is done with the book. You might want to pm Nicole M and ask her how she likes Human Odyssey. She actually used the Prehistory volume last year and is on Volume 2 right now.

I don't have the ancients volume, because, um, I sold it to Lisa. :D But if you'd like to read a paragraph of Volume 2, I'd be happy to type that up.

I don't feel that the vocabulary is all that challenging, but neither do I feel that the book talks down to the child. Here's a bit that we're about to read, Chapter Nine: Three Islamic Empires. The previous chapter ended with a mini-biography about Teresa of Avila.

When little Teresa of Avila marched up a hillside near her home with her brother, she imagined herself going to convert the Muslims, known as the Moors, who had conquered parts of Spain. Teresa lived at a time when Muslim empires stretched along the southern and eastern borders of Europe.

In Teresa's time -- the 1500s -- Muslim empires were on the rise, springing back from centuries of hardship. Like Europe during the Middle Ages, the Islamic world had suffered years of trouble and turmoil.

We will supplement this chapter with some primary source documents and some other readings. My feeling is that the chapters in the HO are engaging, cover the main points and critical persons, and give a good starting point for further study.

I hope this is helpful.

Swimmer Dude is finally done. We have started a new unit that covers some of the major religions and philosophies. This is an excerpt from the introduction to the unit:

In this part of our human odyssey, we're going to do just that. We'll try to inside the heads of people who lived around the globe many years ago. We'll be looking at key ideas and beliefs that developed between 1800 and 400 B.C. That seems long ago, but this period saw the rise of ideas still with us today. Have you heard of Confucianism, Hinduism, Buddhism or Judaism? All these "-isms" have developed over time, and are still with us today, but they are rooted in the period we are about to study. pg. 150

Can someone who has K12 Human Odyssey Ancients please type up a paragraph so I can get an idea of style and reading level? I can't find any peeks inside the book.

(where's my pretty please w/ cherry on top icon?)

Capt_Uhura

I thought it might be helpful to see how they develop a topic in a section.

Putting the Land and Water to Work (From The Human Odyssey: Prehistory Through the Middle Ages p. 48-49)

The Sumerians learned to do something quite amazing for their times. They figured out how to control the yearly flooding of the Tigris and the Euphrates rivers. They built thick earth wills, or levees, to hold back the waters of the spring floods. They also dug canals to carry water to the fields in fall and winter. With this system, they had just enough water for their crops.

It surely wasn't an easy task. It must have taken years and years of backbreaking labor under the blazing sun to build all the levees and canals. They managed to do it only by learning to work together. By helping one another, they were able to put the land to good use and take advantage of their physical environment. Only by dividing the labor could Sumerians have created the world's first civilization.

Even people who lived long before the Sumerians knew that the division of labor was a good idea. The early hunter-gatherers divided the work: Women looked after the children and searched for wild grains, fruits, and nuts, while the men hunted and fished.

But the Sumerians went much further than the hunter-gatherers. They carried the division of labor further than any group had before.

We can tell from the levees, canals, and fields the Sumerians left behind that they worked hard to use the resources around them. Large teams of workers cultivated the land, irrigated the fields, and harvested the crops. The results were wonderful. The Sumerians grew plenty of wheat and barley in the irrigated soil. For the first time in history, people produced a surplus of food, more food that people could consume at one time.

The surplus of grain kept increasing, and that profoundly affected life in Sumer. For one thing, it meant that not every Sumerian had to be a farmer. Some of the people were able to grow enough food for everyone, so the rest of the Sumerians were free to work at other jobs. Some became skilled craftsmen, such as carpenters, metal-workers, or potters. Some made cloth. Some tended sheep or raised cattle. Some became priests, soldiers, or doctors. Some became merchants, boatmen, or writers.

All these people were able to eat by doing their own special type of work in exchange for food. Soon more and more people were gathering in villages and towns to sell their wares, store their grain, and bargain for food. Villages and towns become cities.

:eek: Thanks to all the Human Odyssey chatter, the books are flying off the used store shelves. I literally sat at AMazon.com marketplace, hit refresh and a book would be gone. Hit refresh again, and the next book was gone. I think I secured one, at a slightly higher price but I'm waiting w/ baited breath until I get the email confirmation. :glare:

Capt_Uhura

We use the K12 Human Odyssey books as an additional resource. We are using History Odyssey Level 2 Medieval this year as a guideline and ds read from the K12 book instead of Van Loon's book. He outlined from the old Kingfisher (1993 Edn). I am considering just doing my own thing for history next year and maybe just following Human Ody as a spine and having ds outline from it or another resource.

After being spoiled by SOTW in the first rotation it was hard to find a resource that was comparable. I liked Human Odyssey compared to other options out there.

Is Human Odyssey suitable for outlining by logic stage students?

Dss start 5th grade next year and I want to follow the WTM suggestions re: outlining a history encyclopedia, but Human Odyssey sounds like it will appeal to dss more than the Kingfisher history encyclopedia will.

Are any of your logic stage students outlining Human Odyssey?

TIA.

TeaTotaler .... you've done exactly what I've planned to do. I'm glad to see it worked out. I will be using History Odyssey Ancients level 2 as a guideline, with Human Odyssey vol 1 in place of Story of Mankind. We'll use Kingfisher as per History Odyssey for writing down details, and either Human Odyssey, Gombrich's Little History of the World, or Hakim's Story of Us for outlining. I'm in the process of outlining in all three of those to see which works best.

I figure, once I get all that under my belt, we might be ready to go it alone and drop History Odyssey ... or keep with it if it's working extremely well.

:cursing: I knew it would happen. The company I ordered the Human Odyssey from just canceled the order. All of these companies list simultaneously at several websites so they don't realize when they've sold something at Amazon and sold the exact same book at half.com. And to add salt to the wound, I told my friend about it today and she ordered one of the last under $40 copies. I think the price now jumps to $60 which is almost retail I think. :glare:

Oh that's too bad. It seems like when something is listed on the WTM board, stuff gets purchased in a frenzy :-) Don't give up. It took some persistent, periodic searching to find my 3 volumes.

Yes, it is very frustrating when the same book is listed at several different sites. Good luck!

:cursing: I knew it would happen. The company I ordered the Human Odyssey from just canceled the order. All of these companies list simultaneously at several websites so they don't realize when they've sold something at Amazon and sold the exact same book at half.com. And to add salt to the wound, I told my friend about it today and she ordered one of the last under $40 copies. I think the price now jumps to $60 which is almost retail I think. :glare: