Menu

Please talk to me about BFSU!

MelanieM

I bought BFSU last month in preparation for next year. I'll start by saying I'm not planning on waiting that long. It looks like so much fun I think we will just slowly start later in the spring - I promised the kids we would do dinos next.:tongue_smilie:

Pros

Starts out easy but systematically moves into science concepts I never completely understood and the way they are presented I think my kids will actually understand too.

Very affordable.

You can spend as much time on a topic as you want. (this could be a con if you want something scheduled and laid out for you)

Covers life, earth, space, physical science but not as something separate but shows how they are all intertwined with each other.

Cons

This will take quite a bit of prep time on my part to implement. I worry that I may burn out trying to keep up with it. However, even if I do I would want this book because it would make a wonderful reference book. I am learning from it and I always love that.:001_smile:

HTH!

I've really enjoyed using BFSU. I purchased the book last Fall, read through it and mused on it for a month or two, and so far we've done about 8 lessons. (Using it with a 4 and 6 yo, and on a few occasions have included a friend's 5 and 6 yos when the topics coincided with our science experiment mini-coop.)

Science is my weak area. I don't find myself naturally talking about scientific principles when they come up in everyday life. BFSU helps with that. No other book has taught me so much about HOW to teach.

The downsides are that the book is NOT open and go. And it is not planned out for you. And it encourages (even relies upon) using teachable moments (which I am definitely in favor of, but does still interfere with my type-A, need to have everything planned to the very last detail personality). But it is SO worth it. (As long as you take the time to do the lessons.) The kids' understanding of science has definitely increased, and they really enjoy our discussions and demonstrations/activities.

Have you searched for old threads? There are a whole bunch on this.

I've read it, but haven't started yet. I wanted to buy far in advance so I could have plenty of prep time. I've collected a ridiculously long list of interesting looking resources, so some time when I'm suffering from insomnia I will go through the list and plug what I can into the book. I'm expecting to go through it twice, since my kids are only 21 months apart, and want to have different activities to use each time so the older one doesn't get bored.

What really appealed to me was the way the different threads of science are woven together, and how working through this is training the children in the scientific method.

Rosie

Thank you all for your feedback!

@Angela: Thanks for the blog posts! It's really helpful to see the types of experiments you've been doing with this resources. My kids would soak that stuff up!

@Tracy: The pros and cons list is very helpful, thanks! The idea that this book explains it in such a way that the parent and child can understand is getting me really excited! I find a lot of resources simply don't offer enough "why" information, or at least, not enough that helps me explain it fully to my kids when they ask questions.

@Laurel: I love that it encourages teachable moments! I think that's exactly what I need... a resource that helps support me so that I can take advantage of those moments. TY!

@Rosie: I'll do a search, thanks!

Ok, more questions... It sounds as if the experiments are things you can do with items found around the home. Is this the case, or do you find there is a lot of extra stuff you need to acquire? Also, how long does it typically take to set up an activity? Is it something you can easily do on the fly?

Thanks again for the great feedback!

From what we've done, it is all from things you have around the house already. I think he designed it to be that way. I'm surprised by how little I've spent on science, normally for creative subjects like this I end up spending a lot.

There is some setup time, but it wouldn't be too "hands-on" if there was no time involved.

I thought you might find this interesting also, from the author on his yahoo group:

"The next "Book(s)" of BFSU will build directly on the current K-2

volume and extend each of the "Threads" toward more advanced levels.

There will be no repetition of the K-2 lessons in subsequent volumes.

Therefore, the current volume, "BFSU:K-2," will remain useful/

necessary for starting lessons and any reviews that are desired.

My writing of lessons beyond grade 2 has both exceeded what will fit

in one volume and has gone beyond what should be expected through

grade 5. Therefore, there will be two subsequent volumes, one for 3-5

and one for 6-8, both coming out this summer (2010). (At least that

is my aim.) I expect to keep each of the volumes in the 25 -30 dollar

range remain available to help with your questions or other

difficulties regarding the material."

When I asked about it, he recommended I work on the K-2 book with mine even though they are older and then I can merge into the older books when they come out, but because the books will build on previous learning, it's best to at least have the K-2 book to go over.

Ok, more questions... It sounds as if the experiments are things you can do with items found around the home. Is this the case, or do you find there is a lot of extra stuff you need to acquire? Also, how long does it typically take to set up an activity? Is it something you can easily do on the fly?

Thanks again for the great feedback!

I had NOTHING in my house so I needed to buy a globe, magnifying glass, magnets, a compass, a skeleton (I couldn't resist :D) and iron filings. So it really is stuff you have around the house.

Wow, Tracy. Great review on your blog. That really covers it well.

Cynthia, thanks for sharing that update from the Yahoo! group. That's really great to know!

Tracy, excellent review on your blog, thank you!

All of your posts and insights are making me really excited to get started with this! Apparently it will take a couple of weeks for me to get the book from Amazon.ca, so I'll spend some time reading on the Yahoo! group while I wait. :D

I think it's interesting how Nebel handles religion; he is a religious person and covers moral behavior to some degree in his book on elementary education, but leaves space for religious discussions to be had on the grounds of the belief system held by the participants. Things like mass, weight, and electricity don't have a particularly religious aspect to them, aside from the "God created the world, so _____ is a sign of divine wisdom," which, while important in their perspective, doesn't impact the substance of what is discussed, and could clearly be added by the parents as part of their world view. I agree that it's a nice curriculum; I haven't taken the time to start working on it yet, and I wish the C and D threads were better integrated with the others. However I think it's a remarkably thoughtful and not childish program, yet containing plenty of things that genuinely interest most children.

have a question for those that are already using it. My boys are 4.5 and I'm doing K at home with them next year. If I have/use BFSU, do things like growing butterflies, etc still fit in -- meaning can I still get away with doing some easy little science experiments with the boys? While I love the concept of this book for teaching, I also like how the WTM lays out science for 1st graders (learning how the body works, animals, and plants)and was going to start some of that for K. Can I do both?

Sorry if this is a silly question -- can you tell I'm a newbie :blush:?

I've also committed to homeschooling for K and 1st and then DH and I (and the boys) will see how things are going. I'm planning to go longer, but we will have to see :-). So...I want to make sure I cover the stuff that they would be getting in K and 1st in PS.

Thanks so much!

Mendy

have a question for those that are already using it. My boys are 4.5 and I'm doing K at home with them next year. If I have/use BFSU, do things like growing butterflies, etc still fit in -- meaning can I still get away with doing some easy little science experiments with the boys? While I love the concept of this book for teaching, I also like how the WTM lays out science for 1st graders (learning how the body works, animals, and plants)and was going to start some of that for K. Can I do both?

I've also committed to homeschooling for K and 1st and then DH and I (and the boys) will see how things are going. I'm planning to go longer, but we will have to see :-). So...I want to make sure I cover the stuff that they would be getting in K and 1st in PS.

Thanks so much!

Mendy

I don't think this is a silly question at all.:001_smile: BFSU is hard to wrap your head around if you haven't seen it. The short answer is you can do whatever you want. You could use this side by side with another curriculum, you can stop, take breaks, veer off in other directions, etc. Dr. Nebel has refused to put "lesson plans" to this book and I can understand why. I think 20 different parents could find 20 different ways to use this book. HTH!

If I have/use BFSU, do things like growing butterflies, etc still fit in -- meaning can I still get away with doing some easy little science experiments with the boys? While I love the concept of this book for teaching, I also like how the WTM lays out science for 1st graders (learning how the body works, animals, and plants)and was going to start some of that for K. Can I do both?

Thanks so much!

Mendy

Absolutely! BFSU is written so that you are spiraling through 4 different subjects. Some lessons do have prerequisites, but for the most part, there is no imposed schedule. It is easy to jump around to suit your needs. If I was planning on doing physics today, but I woke up in the morning and saw the snow melting and we all felt the urge to get outside, I would absolutely scrap the physics lesson and turn to a Life Science lesson to see what we could do there (perhaps even revisiting a previous lesson from a different angle or perspective). Furthermore, there is much about all of the lessons that you could apply to different venues and circumstances, so you wouldn't even necessarily have to scrap your original plans. BFSU is written with the intention that every teacher will be tweaking it to suit her needs. It therefore provides lots of guidance without telling you exactly what to do.

Tracy

Guest boozilla

We love BFSU for all of the reasons already mentioned. While the activities don't require a lot of prep time or for the most part, things you don't already have on hand, I have found it very useful to read ahead and order the suggested supplemental books from the library.

One of the pluses to BFSU is the Yahoo group that Dr. Nebel moderates--if you have a question, post it and he'll answer! I just got some great advice regarding what kind of microscope we should purchase.

HTH

Guest boozilla
have a question for those that are already using it. My boys are 4.5 and I'm doing K at home with them next year. If I have/use BFSU, do things like growing butterflies, etc still fit in -- meaning can I still get away with doing some easy little science experiments with the boys?

Yes! The section on life is not to be a one-shot kind of lesson. Dr. Nebel suggests that you watch/research life in various forms all the time--we're ordering some praying mantis pods soon; we have an ant habitat; we watch birds, etc......

BFSU has a lot of fun, easy experiments, and there are suggestions for outside sources like the book "Air," which we had great fun with. I would definitely consider this a hands-on text.

I joined the Yahoo! group and Dr. Nebel personally responded with a welcome message (not the automatic response you normally get). I thought that was a lovely touch, and speaks to how serious he is about supporting his readers. I'm also quite impressed with his responses to questions. Good stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Bumping up this old thread to see if anyone who previously posted would like to update on how they're doing with BFSU. Are you still using it? If not, why not?

Even though I've been really excited by the book, we've yet to really dive in and do much with it. This is more about me than the program itself, so I really need to get inspired again -- and better organized!

I couldn't do it and I *really* tried. I know it's an outstanding science book, but I could never get around to incorporating the lessons. I really spent hours and hours trying to organize and plan it all out too. It doesn't mesh well with my personality and abilities I guess.

Oh, yeah! We are still doing BFSU and loving it. Just today, DH was home from work and the weather was beautiful, so we took our lesson about particles outside. We let the kids use dad's real hammers to smash charcoal, chalk and pasta on the driveway. Even my 2yo could do it! We also gave dd5 a dull axe to chop a small piece of wood. Then we let them make hand and foot prints on the porch with water and shaving cream. And it was windy, so that gave us the gas aspect of the lesson.

Love it!!!!

I couldn't do it and I *really* tried. I know it's an outstanding science book, but I could never get around to incorporating the lessons. I really spent hours and hours trying to organize and plan it all out too. It doesn't mesh well with my personality and abilities I guess.

<sigh> Angela, I fear this might be one more thing we have in common! I'm not sure if it's going to mesh with my personality, as much as I really want it to. Though I have to say that if nothing else, it is helping me understand basic science concepts better, which is awesome for discussions in general. Maybe I just need to be ok with reading the book, taking notes for myself, and only winging it when life presents the opportunity, rather than trying to plan lessons. (And maybe go with the WTM approach or RSO for more structured science, which my kids want as well.)

Oh, yeah! We are still doing BFSU and loving it. Just today, DH was home from work and the weather was beautiful, so we took our lesson about particles outside. We let the kids use dad's real hammers to smash charcoal, chalk and pasta on the driveway. Even my 2yo could do it! We also gave dd5 a dull axe to chop a small piece of wood. Then we let them make hand and foot prints on the porch with water and shaving cream. And it was windy, so that gave us the gas aspect of the lesson.

Love it!!!!

That sounds fabulous! And this is why I really want to do this, because these types of activities are things we would do. In fact, my kids love to smash things with the hammer regularly. lol!

<sigh> Angela, I fear this might be one more thing we have in common! I'm not sure if it's going to mesh with my personality, as much as I really want it to. Though I have to say that if nothing else, it is helping me understand basic science concepts better, which is awesome for discussions in general. Maybe I just need to be ok with reading the book, taking notes for myself, and only winging it when life presents the opportunity, rather than trying to plan lessons. (And maybe go with the WTM approach or RSO for more structured science, which my kids want as well.)

That sounds fabulous! And this is why I really want to do this, because these types of activities are things we would do. In fact, my kids love to smash things with the hammer regularly. lol!

I actually still have the book for me to refer to. I found it nearly useless as a curriculum but very valuable for me as a teachers resource.

Those lessons about the elements are the strongest ones in the book, IMO. It is the lesson that gets described most on this board when people talk about how wonderful BFSU is. I don't think I've ever seen a different lesson used as an example.

My kids still ask to play the game where they pretend to be a solid, liquid or gas! That was a lesson that was brilliant. Many lessons just elicited yawns though, and the kids would ask me to put away the book and tell me they get it already. And of course, they missed science on the days where I just couldn't pull it together. That, above all is my biggest problem with the book.

Switching to Elemental Science has been one of the best things I have ever done for my homeschool so far. It follows the WTM and the kids love it!

Thanks so much!

Mendy

Sorry if this has been answered already, I only read the first 2 pages of the thread...

But we've been doing BFSU for a few months now, and my thought is that you can plug whatever resources you already have into it fairly easily. For instance, we are doing the life cycle unit right now. I had all sorts of plans to have butterfly chrysalis for observations, etc. but other life things got in the way so we're just using books and stuff online to show the life cycle of various animals.

You can really make it as simple as talking about the topic, using the book suggestions, doing a journal entry about it OR you can go all out with many different extra projects and hands on things to go with it.

Overall BFSU is exactly what we were looking for in a science program. The foundations and the basics being laid out is really very helpful to spark those connections for my kids. I also love how affordable it is and how adaptable it is for whatever you have going in your life. Can be very in depth or scratching the surface, depending on what you need.

I'm still using it but I'm going to use RSO as well. I'm keeping the outline I did for the order I wanted to do the lessons (based on BFSU's prerequisites) but I want something with better laid-out, clear-cut experiments. I love the continuous learning and looking for learning opportunities of BFSU, but it's not really a good fit for me and my kids. I also don't like some of the experiments. We're starting with Gravity and I already found different experiments to do. I though the experiment in BFSU had more to do with density than gravity and may be confusing to little guys - gravity causes things to fall down but LOOK the oil floats up.

That is one of the nice things about BFSU. If this is all you do with it, you have got your money's worth out of it. And I don't think you should feel bad about it, either. Even the author of BFSU is a big proponent of tweaking and combining programs.

We're starting with Gravity and I already found different experiments to do. I thought the experiment in BFSU had more to do with density than gravity and may be confusing to little guys - gravity causes things to fall down but LOOK the oil floats up.

You are right. This experiment is definitely about density. However, I actually thought that this was a brilliant response to the incorrect notion that some children have that things like helium balloons are not affected by gravity. In order to show that they are, you have to explain density. In real life, everything in science is connected, and BFSU brings out those connections. It is most definitely not a mastery program. If you only want to study one topic at a time, BFSU would not be a good curriculum.