Menu

Who has listened to SWB's *new* writing and lit. analysis lectures?

Colleen in NS

I'm having the same problem and I'm in The Netherlands.

That's not a remote part of the world...., everybody else is in a remote part of the world :lol:.

Edited by Tress
grammar mistake, apparently I can't joke in English :-)

Its out of print (at least the Illustrated one is). You can occasionally find it on the used market, but usually at an exorbitant price.

Oh! Okay. I have one already, but wasn't sure if she was thinking the other ones were easier to outline from or what, since that one is so concentrated.

Thanks!:001_smile:

After all the discussion about SWB's lectures, I downloaded the writing and literary anaysis ones and listened to all of them while cleaning the house. Her ideas make such a daunting task seem so doable.

I do have a question, though. If you are following her ideas for writing - different stages of outlining, etc., will you still use a writing supplement like Writing Strands to teach different styles of writing? She may have covered this in her lectures, but at the time that was not the question I was looking to have answered. I'm sure I will listen to them several more times, but I was hoping someone might have a quicker response.

Thanks,

Dana J.

I do have a question, though. If you are following her ideas for writing - different stages of outlining, etc., will you still use a writing supplement like Writing Strands to teach different styles of writing? She may have covered this in her lectures, but at the time that was not the question I was looking to have answered. I'm sure I will listen to them several more times, but I was hoping someone might have a quicker response.

Thanks,

Dana J.

I want to know this also. I was confused on this as well.:001_smile:

didn't guarantee that their banking system would accept our foreign addressed cards anyway.

I did email them, and they responded by saying that they are not able to process cards in certain parts of Australia

I'm having the same problem and I'm in The Netherlands.

What a bummer! I hope they are able to change that sometime.

Thanks Colleen for mentioning these! I download the lit. analysis one and within the first 8 min I had the answers to my questions and my mind was put at ease. Which is really good because the pregnant mind tends to obsess even more than usual :D!

The bolded part is exactly why I keep promoting these. You're welcome, and here's another reason to bump this thread back up! :D

Oh! Okay. I have one already, but wasn't sure if she was thinking the other ones were easier to outline from or what, since that one is so concentrated.

Thanks!:001_smile:

It's the red KF that also went OOP (same thing happened to the white illustrated one a few years ago), so she had to find new recommendations quickly before the book went to print. But yes, the red is hard to outline from - there are many threads here about that. Some of us use the red as a spine, but have our kids outline from related library books instead.

If you are following her ideas for writing - different stages of outlining, etc., will you still use a writing supplement like Writing Strands to teach different styles of writing?

I teach my kids the R&S writing lessons along with SWB's ideas, though I don't know how necessary that is. Actually, I asked her about that at the conf. where the lectures came from, and she basically said it's really up to the parent. I think I can see why - some of the R&S lessons are useful for outlining and narration (such as the paragraph writing lessons and outlining lessons), but some of them have material in them (like compare and contrast, etc.) that I believe will be covered in the rhetoric study recommendations that she talks about. I also tend to think that as my kids read and learn to narrate and outline, their own writing "style" will come out - I am seeing inklings of this. So, I don't lean heavily on the R&S writing lessons; I see them as sometimes-supplements to the narrating and outlining and rewriting from outlines.

I have an amazon gift card and am wondering if any of these can be purchased from there?

Not sure, but I believe they are only at PHP.

I teach my kids the R&S writing lessons along with SWB's ideas, though I don't know how necessary that is. Actually, I asked her about that at the conf. where the lectures came from, and she basically said it's really up to the parent. I think I can see why - some of the R&S lessons are useful for outlining and narration (such as the paragraph writing lessons and outlining lessons), but some of them have material in them (like compare and contrast, etc.) that I believe will be covered in the rhetoric study recommendations that she talks about. I also tend to think that as my kids read and learn to narrate and outline, their own writing "style" will come out - I am seeing inklings of this. So, I don't lean heavily on the R&S writing lessons; I see them as sometimes-supplements to the narrating and outlining and rewriting from outlines.

Thank you, Colleen. You're always so helpful! :)

I downloaded the 3 writing ones and the lit analysis one, and also the "Joy of Classical Ed". So far that's the one I've listened to and I loved it! For some reason now that I've heard her voice it will make absorbing what I read in TWTM so much more meaningful. I'm embarrassed to say that I just bought the book last week and am just now getting into it.:blush: I started out as more of a CM homeschooler but I'm being converted to the neo-classical style and everything is suddenly resonating with me!! I'll be back to discuss the lectures more too.

I've listened to them, and they have really clarified the whole process for me. My only question was about the literary analysis talk. Is this information for the grammar and logic stage only? It seemed that way to me. I only heard her talk about high school students in answer to some of the questions about getting a late start in literary analysis. I know that I can read WEM and get more information on literary analysis for high school, but somehow, when I hear SWB explain everything it seems simpler and easier to understand.

My only question was about the literary analysis talk. Is this information for the grammar and logic stage only? It seemed that way to me. I only heard her talk about high school students in answer to some of the questions about getting a late start in literary analysis.

Hmm...I just had a look at it on the PHP website - it says it's only 33 min. long, yet the actual talk plus questions period was about an hour, perhaps more. I wonder if some was cut out of the recording due to technical difficulties. I have 2.5 pages of notes (from that part of the lecture, plus answers to questions) on the high school section of that talk; it was quite detailed. That's a bummer if it's missing.

My only question was about the literary analysis talk. Is this information for the grammar and logic stage only? It seemed that way to me. I only heard her talk about high school students in answer to some of the questions about getting a late start in literary analysis.

Hmm...I just had a look at it on the PHP website - it says it's only 33 min. long, yet the actual talk plus questions period was about an hour, perhaps more. I wonder if some was cut out of the recording due to technical difficulties. I have 2.5 pages of notes (from that part of the lecture, plus answers to questions) on the high school section of that talk; it was quite detailed. That's a bummer if it's missing.

I just remembered that I had seen an outline of this entire talk. Here it is.

I just remembered that I had seen an outline of this entire talk. Here it is.

Thank you very much for linking me to this handout Colleen!! I was going to beg you to post your 2.5 pages of notes! :lol: And I was right...the rhetoric information on the handout is definitely not on the MP3 talk. Yup...it's a bummer....but at least I've got this handout. Thanks again!

I have tried them on my computer on Windows Media Player 11 and also my IPOD. Any ideas to get them to play? I have tried several computers and nothing works!

I downloaded them in itunes and transferred them to my iphone without an issue. What kind of ipod do you have and what version of itunes do you have?

Really enjoyed listening to these lectures. I had just bought the IEW TWSS and now am second guessing myself. Does anyone feel that kids that use the IEW program seem to have similar writing styles, as suggested in the lecture?

Also, I really like the way she explains writing for the Middle and HS years (I haven't listened to Elementary yet) and curious if this can be integrated with IEW?

Any thoughts or opinions on this would greatly be appreciated.

Really enjoyed listening to these lectures. I had just bought the IEW TWSS and now am second guessing myself. Does anyone feel that kids that use the IEW program seem to have similar writing styles, as suggested in the lecture?

I have read on the boards that some do, and some don't. I wonder if it depends on the child - some kids might be more prone to always depending on the style suggestions, and some might not be?

Also, I really like the way she explains writing for the Middle and HS years (I haven't listened to Elementary yet) and curious if this can be integrated with IEW?

I think the idea of the lectures is that the lecture material is meant to be the main writing activities. But I think you can also integrate parts of any writing program that you think will be helpful in developing skills (and I'm quite sure IEW has lots of helpful ideas in it). For example, I do have my kids go through the R&S writing lessons as we come across them, and I have them use anything in them that might be helpful in today's narration or today's outline. But I don't have them use *everything* that is in a R&S writing lesson. I pick and choose, according to what will help them in narration or outlining.

Any thoughts or opinions on this would greatly be appreciated.

I think this really depends upon how versatile and able you are to teach them the basic style of IEW and how to move forward from there.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I had read on here somewhere that SWB talks about IEW in one of these writing seminars, probably the middle grades one. I finally listened to the middle grades writing mp3 this morning, and there's nothing about IEW (except a comment that she prefers sentences over key words for outlining -- but no actual mention of IEW). Has SWB talked about implementing IEW more than what is in the WTM book?

Thanks for everyone's comments! Special thanks to Colleen. I always learn so much from your posts.

Has SWB talked about implementing IEW more than what is in the WTM book?

There may be something more about it in the new WTM, but I can't remember - hopefully someone else knows - I know there was something in there about how to decide about using/not using CW. The basic gist I remember from her talks was that IEW is one of a few recommended programs, with caveats, if you felt you needed a program for whatever reasons (as opposed to or in addition to the plan she laid out in her talks). I also remember her saying she didn't think that stylistic techniques in IEW were necessary. Then there is this quote from p. 13 of WWE: "Diagramming teaches style, through clarifying the student's thought process; it begins to force the student to order ideas."

Thanks for everyone's comments! Special thanks to Colleen. I always learn so much from your posts.

:blushing: Thank you, and you are welcome.:)

I thought I had read on here somewhere that SWB talks about IEW in one of these writing seminars, probably the middle grades one. I finally listened to the middle grades writing mp3 this morning, and there's nothing about IEW (except a comment that she prefers sentences over key words for outlining -- but no actual mention of IEW). Has SWB talked about implementing IEW more than what is in the WTM book?

I think she talks about it in the high school lecture.

Thanks to you both! Still deciding, but SWB's method sure looks simpler. The trouble is, I recently bought IEW to start using it in the fall for my rising 5th-grader. Now I have to decide whether to buy, sell, or hold for another child. :tongue_smilie:

I found the handouts here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/workshops-handouts/

But I don't see anything for the 3 writing lectures. Am I missing them? People earlier made it sound like we didn't need to furiously write notes, which I am now trying to do as I listen to the high school writing lecture.

I haven't found any handouts of the writing lectures - just the lit. analysis one. And when I was at the conf. where these were recorded, I *did* furiously write notes - no way was I going to miss anything!:lol: I needed all the help I could get. And I'm glad I did, because the audio lectures are apparently shorter than the actual conf. lectures. If you think you are missing any info., pm me and let me know - I'll be happy to fill in anything.

Thank you, Colleen. I mostly noticed I was missing the titles of books and authors when I was listening to the high-school writing lecture. I had the 2009 WTM open to help with names, but I think SWB mentioned a resource I don't see in the book. On page 468, under How To Do It, in the second paragraph, there are three books mentioned. She mentioned a fourth just before these. She said the prose in the exercises isn't very good in that book but the other information/exercises are great. If you have that title, it will save me some time. If not, I can go back and listen later.

Thanks!

Also -- for anyone wondering, there's still very little about integrating IEW in either the middle--school or high-school writing lectures. Basically just what she's said elsewhere, that she doesn't care for keyword outlines and prefers the method she explains in WTM. The high-school part was also in the book already (and more in-depth in the book).

She said the prose in the exercises isn't very good in that book but the other information/exercises are great. If you have that title, it will save me some time.

Frank D'Angelo's Composition in the Classical Tradition. It's not listed in WTM, because she didn't want to recommend it in print, for the reasons you listed above. Good exercises (why she recommends) vs. bad examples (why she doesn't rec. in WTM).