Menu

jade

Here's a request from my husband, who is putting together his book list for a children's literature course taught to college students, primarily future teachers, focusing on middle school readers. This English literature course studies books for 5th - 8th graders. He's looking for new and more recent books that kids this age enjoyed. They can be books for boys, for girls, or both. If your child has a specific reason why they like a book, that's helpful.

I have been printing out lists everyone has compiled and these are always helpful. They are good reminders. My husband is always changing and tweaking the courses he teaches and tries to keep them current. But it is hard to keep up with all the latest books. He thinks it's important that elementary education students know what's popular, too, and that they learn how to keep up with what students like as well.

Any ideas you have would be helpful and maybe this could be a fun resource for people here to see what middle school kids read and enjoy. Thanks!

Two series that seem to be very popular right now and my kids are also enjoying are Percy Jackson and the Olympians and The Mysterious Benedict Society. (finally weaning them from Harry Potter!)

I guess every kid but mine is reading Twilight. (Bleck)

I do like the Inkheart series even though I haven't given it to my kids yet.

I don't know if they are still popular, but honestly, do the kitty lit world a favor and recommend better books than my son had to read in school. Nearly ALL of them were books about "issues," like teen pregnancy, drunk driving, suicide, divorce. Tears of a Tiger was the book that led us to homeschool--if teachers would stop recommending this trash and let kids read from new books AND classics, I think it'd help the literacy in this country.

I don't know if they are still popular, but honestly, do the kitty lit world a favor and recommend better books than my son had to read in school. Nearly ALL of them were books about "issues," like teen pregnancy, drunk driving, suicide, divorce. Tears of a Tiger was the book that led us to homeschool--if teachers would stop recommending this trash and let kids read from new books AND classics, I think it'd help the literacy in this country.

:iagree: It seems like a large chunk of what is studied as "literature" in school at this age is this kind of ilk.

My kids read a ton of historical fiction as well - some more recent authors they've liked are Katherine Paterson (Lyddie, Bread and Roses Too) and Cynthia Kadohata (Weedflower and Cracker got their best votes, they rated Kira Kira "sad"), Pam Muñoz Ryan (Rising Esperanza, Riding Freedom), Richard Peck (Long Way from Chicago and sequels; Blossom Culp stories - the latter are set in past but not really historical).

My avid reader loves the Eragon series. He keeps reading them over and over.

Easy level, but Series of Unfortunate Events actually is a great reader. The vocab. is delicious.

We tried abridged classics and when we really liked one, ds read the original.

We also enjoy, CS Lewis series (Lion, Witch, etc.)

Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys are easy, but fun.

We avoid the after school special books too. Yuck.

Edited by johnandtinagilbert
spelling

Redwall series by Brian Jacques, fabulous "boy" series, fantasy, action/adventure

Inkheart, Inkspell, and Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke, awesome story teller that keeps you anxious to see what happens next, fantasy again with a bit of action. My fourth grader is reading through the first one right now, but they're good enough stories that my husband and I have also been reading them for fun.

Eragon, Eldest and Brisingr by Paolini. Rich stories that keeps you sucked in, dragons, knights, etc. My husband read these for fun also.

My oldest often came home from books he'd read in middle school and liked enough to pass along to me. Not all are recent but some of his favorites:

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (science fiction even for people who don't usually like sci fi)

Eragon series

Gregor the Overlanders series

The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp (He mentioned specifically that he liked this one because it was fast paced. He was right.)

The Sea of Trolls

My daughter really likes Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson.

These are all great suggestions! If anyone wants to add more that would be cool, too!

What about girl books for 7th-8th grade? Does anyone let their girls read Sara Dressen books? We are wondering about these as they're popular among some girls. What about graphic novels?

In response to the questions about the touchy-feely books kids have to read in school, we are always frustrated by this and have been annoyed that our son had to read some in public school, which is a tiny part of the reason why we're home schooling.

In general, my husband tries to encourage the education students in his English classes to have a broad approach to children's literature. He always mixes his reading list with fiction for girls and boys, non-fiction, poetry, sometimes plays and usually these days graphic novels. He likes to make connections with non-book texts -- films, music and websites. You can see some of the courses he's been teaching in the link in my signature.

There's a great book about a mom who was similarly frustrated with the reading lists her kids were forced to read. She said the teacher once told a parent group that a book is good 'if it makes you cry.' ( I can't find the book around the house, but will post the title later.) I attribute the popularity of these books to the Oprah effect. She's really into weepy books and has elevated them far too much, I think. Some teachers may think if it's a funny book, it's not as good, or as 'meaty.' They need drama to teach conflict, I guess.

Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan

Children of the Lamp series by P. B. Kerr

Ember series by Jeanne Du Prau

Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede

Lionboy series by Zizou Corder

Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer

Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage

Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan

Companion's Quartet by Julia Golding

Smart Dog, Heir Apparent, Magic Can Be Murder, Now You See It by Vivian Van de Velde

Princess Academy by Shannon Hale

Five Ancestors series by Jeff Stone

Frog Princess series by E. D. Baker

Shield, Sword, and Crown series by Hilari Bell

Secret of Platform 13 and Island of the Aunts by Ibbotsen

Landry News, Frindle, Lunch Money, Week in the Woods, School Story, Report Card by Andrew Clements

Bella at Midnight, Mysterious Matter of I.M. Fine, Case of the Allbright Academy by Diane Stanley

Alex Rider series by Horowitz

Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull

Theodosia series by R.L. LaFevers

Enola Holmes series by Nancy Springer

Samurai Mysteries series by Hoobler

Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins

Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins

Warriors (now 4 series of 6 books each plus bonus books) by Erin Hunter - extremely popular with this age-group

Tapestry series by Neff

Magic Thief series by Prineas

Skullduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landry

Tripod series by John Christopher

Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper

Traces series by Malcolm Rose

Mysterious Benedict Society by Stewart

Edited by AngieW in Texas

These are all great suggestions! If anyone wants to add more that would be cool, too!

What about girl books for 7th-8th grade? Does anyone let their girls read Sara Dressen books? We are wondering about these as they're popular among some girls. What about graphic novels?

I love Sara Dessen, but I wouldn't recommend her for middle school - her characters are all in high school, and the themes are a little more mature (not graphic in any way, just more mature). My guideline for her is 14+.

I enjoy graphic novels, too - and especially recommend them for reluctant readers. There are some very good Graphic Classics. Naruto is a favorite for boys that age (I haven't read that series, so I can't comment on it) and Fruits Basket is popular with girls.

The Hunger Games and Catching Fire have been passed all around our homeschool group for the past 2 months and EVERYONE has loved them. We're talking boys that have never read a book they weren't required to read are locking themselves in their rooms to finish it! I've gotten more happy emails and facebook comments from mothers than ever before. :)

Terry Pratchett -- the Tiffany Aching books and The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, but also the adult series

Jaclyn Moriarty, especially The Murder of Bindy Mackenzie

Tamora Pierce, Beka Cooper series

Geraldine McCaughrean, The White Darkness

Anna Dale, Dawn Undercover

Patricia Wrede, The Enchanted Chocolate Pot

Dave Barry/Ridley Pearson, Science Fair

Patricia Finney, Lady Grace series

older favorites:

Sherlock Holmes stories

Jeeves and Wooster

Lord of the Rings series

Mary Stewart, Airs Above the Ground

Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Jerome K. Jerome, Three Men and a Boat

Authors that have interesting books including that age range: Sharon Creech, Avi, Jerry Spinelli, and Terri Pratchett. Some of their stuff appeals to a younger group. Specific books: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, Marley and Me by John Grogan, Ruby Holler by Sharon Creech, Uglies trilogy by Scott Westerfield (a world where everyone is supposed to look perfect), and Chasing Vermeer series by Brett Balliet - My oldest loved this. She's a math nut who loves mysteries. This set has a character who always plays with a set of pentominoes.

Good times people, good times.

Edited by Laboroflove
didn't focus on modern literature

If you're a parent who thinks that the books kids have to read in school are too tragic or too much "Doom and Gloom" (as librarians say), you might enjoy reading Welcome to Lizard Motel: Children, Stories and the Mystery of Making Things Up by Barbara Feinberg. Feinberg teaches creative arts to children 3 - 14 in New York. She couldn't figure out why her 12 year old son hated reading the books assigned in school, but liked reading otherwise. Feinberg then tries to figure out what has happened to teaching reading in school. Her research is pretty sound and her writing style, mostly in memoir form about her children's lives, makes the book enjoyable. (Amazon link to book)

I was so happy to see someone cite Feinberg's "Lizard Motel." My daughter loathes social realism, and it seems like that is all that gets thrown at kids from about sixth grade on, in the schools. The gloom and doom almost inescapable and as Feinberg says, there were deaths all over the place. Even the classics that were assigned at the private school my daughter briefly attended last fall were like this: "Of Mice and Men," "A School for Old Men," etc. It seems to accord so little with the interests of most kids. My daughter, for example, gravitates toward comedy (loves Shakespeare's comedies and for years her favorite book has been a Victorian comedy, "Three Men and a Boat"), satire (Swift), ludicrous satire/fantasy (Douglas Adams), and action plots (currently entranced with Star Trek, has read all of Sherlock Holmes). I truly do not understand why kids cannot learn the same elements of literary analysis with books that engage and even obsess them. There's enough social realism in history books. And there are a whole lot of genres out there with some great writing in them.

Feinberg's book is a beautifully written meditation on the shift in emphasis and tone in children's literature since the 60s, and the continuing need for stories of hope and pleasure.