Menu

Am I being unreasonable? Venting...(long)

Background:

We have been homeschooling since my oldest (now in 8th) was in 2nd grade. The past 4 years we have been using the classical method of homeschooling. I have spent a lot of time and money teaching my two older kids IEW...but it has gotten to where I feel I am not qualified to grade older DD's papers. Before the start of the school year (last year), I heard about a new hybrid charter school based on the classical method. I went to the info meeting and was sold on the program, mostly because they would be using IEW. This was the year that I really wanted to go heavy on my oldest's writing, and having an actual teacher teaching/grading IEW papers was exactly what I was looking for.

Over all the school has been great. The kids really enjoy going...and in their words "its everything fun about school...without actually going to school." There are a few things that I struggle with, but nothing that I can't get over...except they are really frustrating me with IEW.

I know that the teachers they hired had NO idea what classical homeschooling was when they were hired...and they have worked really hard to learn it. I also know that they are having to learn a whole new way of writing because IEW is nothing like they were taught in college. I know all this, and I have tried to be patient but, we are well into the second semester and they are STILL just playing around with it.

In my older DD class, they quickly went over keyword outlines (only after I hounded the teacher about when they were going to do it)...but as far as I know, they still have not learned any dress up's. Without learning any dress ups they went on to narrative stories. That was weeks ago, and I do not think they have done any "real" IEW since. My dd is WAY beyond what they are doing. I knew she would be to start off...but I thought that by the second semester the teacher would have made a lot more progress with the rest of the class...and I thought that he would be familiar enough with program that he could stretch her a bit.

As for my middle DD's class (5th and 6th grades)...I thought the teacher was trying harder. Even though she was not doing the program the way I know it should be done...it seemed like she was making an effort to implement it. She had done KWO with them and taught them the dress ups. I would have expected her to either go to narrative stories or research papers next. She went with research papers...but 5 paragraph research papers with topic sentences, and note cards???? Nothing like the way IEW builds on things.

There are only a couple of parents in the school who are familiar with IEW. For the rest of the parents it is new, and a lot of them feel like IEW is a total bust. They have no idea what it is about, or how it works. One parent thought that IEW was a note taking program! Because they skip around and only teach bits and pieces of the method, the kids are not seeing how it connects. To aggravate me further, my girls are always asked (by the teachers) why they do things a certain way (why do you always double space your paper, why do you leave a blank title with by Chaney Wagle under it @@) If the teachers would commit to teaching it the correct way (they have the teacher DVD's and the SWI B that I loaned them, so they have the resources) I really feel that most parents would feel differently...and the teachers would know exactly why my kids are doing what they do.

I am at a loss as to what to do. I do not want to be the nagging parent...but I feel that they are totally confusing the kids by skipping around and piece mealing. I am also very frustrated that I feel like this year has been a bust for my oldest dd. She is going into 9th next year...and I wanted her writing to be rock solid. For next year, I have found someone who will grade her papers online, so I had resigned myself to letting her have fun at school this year, and buckle down back at home next...but then youngest DD brings home this 5 paragraph assignment, and now I am starting to wonder if those teachers are *ever going to get it.

They hate anything that is completely scripted and mandated. They think that their job is to teach the material, and the children, and they pick and choose in order to do that.

So it really does not surprise me that these teachers are not using IEW 'straight', and actually, IEW is not the be all and end all of classical education-style writing. SWB herself has been critical of it on occasion, and it is far from complete.

I understand your frustration about the difference between your expectations and the reality. It is really, really difficult to turn your children over to someone else to educate them once you have been a homeschooler.

Having said that, there are a few things you could do. You could contact IEW to find an online teacher that would give your children the specific feedback that you want them to have. You could talk to the teacher about the kind of rubrics she uses, and about improving those a bit. You could opt out of the writing part of this program entirely, perhaps, and switch to an outside instructor for that.

I have to say, I'm not the best teacher of writing in the world, but I do think I'm the best teacher of my daughter. But if I had to teach 20 kids, I would not be doing such a good job with her. I'll bet that you are much better at this than you think. I'll bet that you can evaluate her writing just fine, and probably better than most because you know what she is capable of. Where I fall down is in not having a basis for comparison. I know what DD can do, and I know that she is making progress, but I don't know how her writing stacks up against others her age or grade. Maybe that is your issue as well. If that is the case, then I would have some very targetted conversations with a local English professor--maybe paying him for his time. I would ask for feedback and for specific areas of improvement that he would recommend, using several recent writing samples, and then I would repeat this in about 6 months.

How frustrating. Is there an administration at the school whom you could talk to about it? Whoever set up the school and chose IEW in the first place must have some idea of what it is and how it works...one hopes. Can you appeal to them? It sounds like they should send those teachers to an official IEW seminar if they want them to use that program.

Honestly, I just started IEW last week. I have only seen Discs 1 & 3 (The lady who sold me the TWSS has still not sent me Disc 2. Deana are you out there???) and the High School disc, and even I know the things you were talking about!! So something is very wrong there.

I found IEW to be overwhelming when I went through the teacher dvd's. I finally just watched the student dvd set and figured out what exactly I would be doing. I copied Mr. Peduwa and actually used some of the actual video in the class because something were just better said and funnier coming from him. I would find out if they have these disks and then get a copy and take it to the school person in charge and show them what it should look like. I blew through IEW B in one semester at our co-op. The second semester for my daughter has been building off of that until we get our hands on the continuation course. If it isn't truly IEW than they shouldn't advertise it as such. You could talk to Mr. Peduwa and see what his thoughts are. He probably wouldn't want his curriculum getting a bum wrap when it isn't even being used or taught correctly. Hope that helps. Ruby

Thanks for all the replies. I do know the program, but I feel I am very weak in grammar and writing, so I am *very leery to grade their papers past what I have done thus far.

I have talked to the person in charge...and she has been very receptive to my input, but she does not know much about IEW and really has her hands full with starting this new school this year. Her family used to live a couple hours away, and they had this program there. When they were transferred she started the program here. She is getting her scope and sequence from the other program, and IEW is what they use. She had really came down hard on the teachers about doing it, and we thought it had fixed the problem, but then this essay thing came out. I hate to bother her yet again...mostly because I know that while IEW is important to me, I am sure she has 20 other families going to her about different things that are important to them. I am just trying to decide how much more I should push the issue.

The main problem is that both teachers (especially for the older class) have it in their head that they know a better way, and have not given IEW a fair chance. I understand that IEW is not the only way to write, but it is one of the 5 components the school is advertising...so my thinking is that it is only hurting the school by not doing it fully.

I did find a person from the IEW website to send papers to for this next school year for grading, but I did not know that Aubrey did the same kind of thing! Aubrey!!! If you read this, I would love to talk to you about it!

Well, I don't know that Aubrey does this kind of thing already, but I know she could and I might try to convince her if I was in your situation. ;)

I think you hit the nail on the head here. You have teachers who are not classical educators and this is one of the reasons that so many classical schools hire young, new teachers. They are not set in their own way of doing things and are more receptive classical methods.

I understand learning new methods but if they are truly not open and actually passionate about classical education, then the school director has bigger problems than just teaching IEW.

In this job market I would think it would be easy to find a teacher willing and able to learn classical methods. If your teachers don't believe in classical methods though, that is very difficult. I know that there is no way I could teach in a way contrary to me deeply held educational philosophy.

This vote of confidence made my night! :001_smile: Thanks. :D

And Tammie, I emailed you. A really loooooong email.

ETA: No, I didn't. I pm'd you. :001_huh:

I think part of the problem is that teachers also have personal lives and they have enough unpaid overtime as it is. Learning a new program inside out on top of their usual overtime is a massive burden. We'd like teachers to be 100% dedicated to teaching our children, but that requires more hours than anyone wants to take from their own families. If my dh had worked as hard as the school expected him to, we'd be divorced by now. Instead of divorcing, he stopped teaching.

Rosie

I think part of the problem is that teachers also have personal lives and they have enough unpaid overtime as it is. Learning a new program inside out on top of their usual overtime is a massive burden. We'd like teachers to be 100% dedicated to teaching our children, but that requires more hours than anyone wants to take from their own families. If my dh had worked as hard as the school expected him to, we'd be divorced by now. Instead of divorcing, he stopped teaching.

Rosie

As far as divorce--I agree w/ you! :lol: When I was teaching, I remember the lines in the copy rm, & women chatting about "all the good men being taken." (Everyone there was either a ps nun or divorced.)

I wanted so much to SCREAM IF Y'ALL DON'T HURRY UP, THERE'S ABOUT TO BE ONE AVAILABLE!!! :lol:

In this situation, though, I think it sounds like IEW was advertised. The school should have either a) hired teachers who (claimed) to know/have experience w/ IEW b) hired teachers who said they'd be willing to learn it or c) offered paid training for whoever they hired.

Whether or not the teachers bear any blame, it sounds like it boils down to false advertising. Maybe that's overstating it a little, because it doesn't sound like the lady in charge has any furtive intentions, lol, but still--I think OP has a very reasonable complaint. I mean--imagine if you ordered Singapore math from an online vendor & they sent you Saxon instead? Not cool!

Yes, I think you are being unreasonable expecting that a first year school (or any school) would meet every single goal they've set. I think it's very impressive that everything has gone so smoothly over all.

The teachers are all new, they are learning a new system, they are dealing with a range of children. Even if a teacher was familiar with and comfortable teaching IEW, I'm betting they would have to teach to the level of the class, and your dd would be above that anyway.

(Is it a part time school? Based on my prior experience with something similar, the teacher turnover was outrageous. The pay was not that great, the hours were terribly demanding, and it just wasn't worth it. The students may have been important to the teachers, but neither the teachers nor the students were important to the school--only the money was.)

I'm putting myself in the teachers' shoes. I would be very put out with a parent lending me the DVDs. That's the responsibility of the school, and if a parent is lending these, then the teacher would be watching them on their own time. They have their own lives. Yes, their job is important, but so is their life.

You're at a loss as to what to do. Have you asked administration or the teachers what you can do to help? If you were to offer to lead a class, either for teachers or for students, would there be school support? Interest?

It sounds like the school is really doing well. The huge majority of new schools like this (charter) have major transitional problems the first several years, between admin, teachers, parents. If this were me, I'd be breathing a huge sigh of relief that my kids were enjoying it--although if this were me, I'd be far more likely to avoid a new school until at least the third year.

I'm sorry that I'm not telling you what you probably want to hear.

Back in the early 90's, I taught at a Classical K-8 Charter School and we developed our own writing program complete with grading rubrics per grade level. The program was to be taught in conjunction with our WRTR program (daily & weekly) -- leading up to a monthly writing test in which the student demonstrated what they learned for a grade. My class ranked #1 in the entire district for the annual writing assessment. I found our program to be very rigourous and good -- years later, I finally had an opportunity to review IEW and found it lacking in many areas. Not to put it down, but perhaps could this school have a different methodology you are not used to? There are lots of great writing programs out there. Nothing new is under the sun when it comes to lesson plans or curriculum. IEW is not that unique.

They may use IEW in their program. They may also use other materials to teach writing too. Have you looked at the scope and sequence for the program? I would not blame this on the teachers but on the person in charge of developing the program -- they plan it and then tell the teachers what to do. HTH

P.S. If I were a teacher having a parent continuing to demand I teach a certain way -- contrary to what my school and district guidelines are telling me -- I'd ignore her (too many hours spent dedicating my life to teaching already when I taught full time -- family life became secondary) and ask her to please take her concerns to the school board. You are being very unreasonable and out of touch with the realities of teaching in a regular classroom of 25+ students. Sorry, JMO.

Edited by tex-mex

Rosie

That is understandable...but I also know that the teachers are paid for 20 hours of work...and they only work (at school) about 11 hours a week. So they have 9 hours a week of paid prep time.

That is understandable...but I also know that the teachers are paid for 20 hours of work...and they only work (at school) about 11 hours a week. So they have 9 hours a week of paid prep time.

When I taught full time, I easily worked close to 50-55 hours a week. This does not include the time spent on the weekends grading papers at home. Never got paid prep time. That is very nice of the school to pay for this. But again, you do not understand the amount of time teachers (especially in a NEW school) need to learn the curriculum. Give them a break.

Yes, I think you are being unreasonable expecting that a first year school (or any school) would meet every single goal they've set. I think it's very impressive that everything has gone so smoothly over all.

The teachers are all new, they are learning a new system, they are dealing with a range of children. Even if a teacher was familiar with and comfortable teaching IEW, I'm betting they would have to teach to the level of the class, and your dd would be above that anyway.

I always knew that the girls would be above the class for a good part of the year...the problem is that we are over the half way point, and none of the kids are anywhere close to understanding the point of IEW. My daughter just told me that she realized today that the other students did not know they were supposed to have the dress ups in every paragraph. The teacher never made that clear (probably because he has not paid that much attention) and all the kids were totally thrown for a loop when Chaney explained it to them.

(Is it a part time school? Based on my prior experience with something similar, the teacher turnover was outrageous. The pay was not that great, the hours were terribly demanding, and it just wasn't worth it. The students may have been important to the teachers, but neither the teachers nor the students were important to the school--only the money was.)

It is a part time school, but the teachers are paid for 20 hours...and their class time is only about 11 hours.

I'm putting myself in the teachers' shoes. I would be very put out with a parent lending me the DVDs. That's the responsibility of the school, and if a parent is lending these, then the teacher would be watching them on their own time. They have their own lives. Yes, their job is important, but so is their life.

The DVD's were loaned to the school to help save on money. The school then gave them to the teachers to learn the program. Ideally, the teachers would take a teachers workshop...but the first year of a charters school...funds are very tight.

You're at a loss as to what to do. Have you asked administration or the teachers what you can do to help? If you were to offer to lead a class, either for teachers or for students, would there be school support? Interest?

I have mentioned quite a few times, that if they have questions about the program, or if they would like me show them how I have taught it...I am more than willing to do that. I have not offered to actually teach it for them...I felt like that would be a bit too controlling L:lol:

It sounds like the school is really doing well. The huge majority of new schools like this (charter) have major transitional problems the first several years, between admin, teachers, parents. If this were me, I'd be breathing a huge sigh of relief that my kids were enjoying it--although if this were me, I'd be far more likely to avoid a new school until at least the third year.

I'm sorry that I'm not telling you what you probably want to hear.

Back in the early 90's, I taught at a Classical K-8 Charter School and we developed our own writing program complete with grading rubrics per grade level. The program was to be taught in conjunction with our WRTR program (daily & weekly) -- leading up to a monthly writing test in which the student demonstrated what they learned for a grade. My class ranked #1 in the entire district for the annual writing assessment. I found our program to be very rigourous and good -- years later, I finally had an opportunity to review IEW and found it lacking in many areas. Not to put it down, but perhaps could this school have a different methodology you are not used to? There are lots of great writing programs out there. Nothing new is under the sun when it comes to lesson plans or curriculum. IEW is not that unique.

Again, I totally understand that IEW is not for everyone, however the school advertised using IEW, and the teachers were HIRED knowing that they were going to have to learn and teach the IEW method. My only expectations are that the teachers do what they were hired to do...and not do it half way. [/size]

They may use IEW in their program. They may also use other materials to teach writing too. Have you looked at the scope and sequence for the program? I would not blame this on the teachers but on the person in charge of developing the program -- they plan it and then tell the teachers what to do. HTH

I have seen the scope and sequence...the teachers have a lot of leeway making their lesson plans...however the only "sanctioned" writing curriculum is IEW. I would actually be ok if they just said that the teachers did not want to teach it, so they were going to dump it. It would actually make more sense than the mess they are putting together right now.

P.S. If I were a teacher having a parent continuing to demand I teach a certain way -- contrary to what my school and district guidelines are telling me -- I'd ignore her (too many hours spent dedicating my life to teaching already when I taught full time -- family life became secondary) and ask her to please take her concerns to the school board. You are being very unreasonable and out of touch with the realities of teaching in a regular classroom of 25+ students. Sorry, JMO.

Again, I am not asking them to do anything that has not been clearly stated and advertised by the school. Also, it is not a regular class room, the largest class has about 13 students in it, they are in class 2 days a week...and are paid for 20 hours. If they prepped for an hour a week for every "subject" they taught...they would still have 3 hours which they are paid to do nothing. I do not think it is too much to ask to take an hour of their paid prep time, and throw in a DVD so they can understand the subject they were hired to teach.

Don't get me wrong, in other areas the teachers are great! They both have a wonderful re pore with the kids. My kids aside...I think, when it comes to writing, they are doing the other kids and the school a huge disservice. IEW is a foundation that the school is based on...and non of the other parents feel it is working, but they don't understand that it is not IEW that is not working...it is the way the teachers are not teaching it. Maybe in the long run IEW would not work out for the school anyway...but they will ever know, because the teachers are too stubborn to commit to teaching it.

Think of it this way. If you sent your child to a school to be taught Suzuki Violin, but the teaches thought they knew a better way to teach it, so they threw in a couple of Suzuki methods and then went on with doing it their own way...would that sit well with you?

When I taught full time, I easily worked close to 50-55 hours a week. This does not include the time spent on the weekends grading papers at home. Never got paid prep time. That is very nice of the school to pay for this. But again, you do not understand the amount of time teachers (especially in a NEW school) need to learn the curriculum. Give them a break.

:iagree: It is expected that teachers work longer hours than they are paid for. It takes longer than an hour a week to prep for classes, mark work and complete all the admin tasks. By the sounds of it, the school should not have advertised IEW the way they have. It seems they have had unrealistic expectations of their staff. But if you don't like the school's performance, you have every right to take your business elsewhere. No one is disputing that. If the teachers are doing well in ever other area, they are probably doing the best they can in this area too. Ask the school board to fund a paid IEW training seminar.

Rosie

I would also be frustrated if I were in your situation.

My children attend a charter school--this is the fifth year since it opened. Lots of things were first advertised...lots of great things, I'd say. We were very impressed with the original plan. Even after 5 years, the original plan has not been completely implemented. The ideals are there...the school board WANTS it to be such...the principal TRIES to get the teachers to do x, y, z...and yet we are still not there. Each year has been a little bit better...moving in the right direction...and that is why we are sticking around.

Personally, I think it's a problem with teachers & how they are trained at local universities (which is where most of our hires come from)(and I've got a teaching degree from one, too...so I'm familiar with the program). For the most part, our teachers are trained to teach at a public school with typical curriculum...and it's almost a battle to get some of them to 'think outside the box' or do anything that goes against this.

So I guess I have a few comments for you:

1-Know that when a charter school is first starting out, things don't always go according to plan

2-The fact that they 'advertised' this curriculum & it is the reason you are there would be enough to justify being a pushy parent & doing all that you can to make it happen...if it were me, I'd never let up if it was important to me. Is there a way that YOU can help to improve things? I think it's great that you lent your DVD's and have offered help. Can you perhaps offer to take a group of students from your child's class & teach them?

3-Is it worth it to you (in other areas) to keep your kids there or do you need to make alternate plans? Can you do partial enrollment & NOT have them take writing through the school? (Especially as it doesn't seem they'll get their act together for this year to count for much...as far as writing is concerned)

I'm surprised to hear people say that the teachers shouldn't have to teach the program that the school advertised and that they should have more than a year to get up to speed on a program that is fairly simple to learn.

I would be very upset with the school if my child wasted a whole year in developing their writing skills because the teachers aren't doing their jobs. If the teachers don't want to do the work to learn the program, maybe they shouldn't have taken these positions.

I've taught at a coop in the past and I spent about ten hours preparing for a short 1 1/2 hour class, so I know it takes time, but I would never have taken on the task if I wasn't going to do whatever it took to teach the material we had promised the students and parents.

Actually, we did not participate in the coop the following year because it was too much for me. So, I am not saying teaching is an easy job, but if you take it on, I think you have an obligation to follow through. I don't think the OP is being unreasonable at all.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

QUOTE FROM WAGSWIFE:

"Again, I am not asking them to do anything that has not been clearly stated and advertised by the school. Also, it is not a regular class room, the largest class has about 13 students in it, they are in class 2 days a week...and are paid for 20 hours. If they prepped for an hour a week for every "subject" they taught...they would still have 3 hours which they are paid to do nothing. I do not think it is too much to ask to take an hour of their paid prep time, and throw in a DVD so they can understand the subject they were hired to teach."

:iagree: Absolutely! This is all it would really take for them to get going with the program.

Lisa

...The first 1-3 years things are not as planned and projected. The people who stick are idealistic about a vision rather than excited about the current status.

The next 3-5 years things are golden and lovely. The vision is pretty much realized. Things start to hum along really well. Although the state requirements often through a bit of a wrench into some of the vision stuff, people feel successful and believe that they have done the best they could and that things are as good as possible.

The next years are challenging. Word gets around that this is a good school and that it is a unique one. Parents of two main types of children who tend not to do well in 'normal', big public schools start to apply--first, children who don't do well because they are hyperactive, anti-social, or have high functioning Asbergers, and second, children who don't do well because they are brilliantly gifted. There is often overlap between the two groups. The center doesn't hold. The extremes start to dominate, and soon you have kind of a barbell distribution of children.

There are two schools only that I have seen avoid this. One is an extremely academic charter high school that has just become more and more highly pressured. Only the brilliant need apply. The other is a very old parent participation elementary school in a district where all the elementary schools are pretty good but not over the top, and where parents participate in the other schools as well.

The basic question I would ask myself, "Is their writing improving?"

Your main goal is improvement in writing skills. This can be done many ways and a thorough exploration of narrative writing is a great start. Like others have pointed out there are many good programs and teaching styles.

I know you're disappointed that you aren't getting what you were promised, but if the product is good I would continue. If not, then you have to consider the school's ability to improve.

:iagree: It is expected that teachers work longer hours than they are paid for. It takes longer than an hour a week to prep for classes, mark work and complete all the admin tasks. By the sounds of it, the school should not have advertised IEW the way they have. It seems they have had unrealistic expectations of their staff. But if you don't like the school's performance, you have every right to take your business elsewhere. No one is disputing that. If the teachers are doing well in ever other area, they are probably doing the best they can in this area too. Ask the school board to fund a paid IEW training seminar.

Rosie

Precisely. I am looking back to the early days of our own K-8 Charter and understanding this situation all too well -- we promised former homeschooling parents we would use certain curricula they liked in our charter. However, the harsh reality was that parents needed to realize it would take 2 years (minimum) as a staff to all get "on board" and teach the curriculum as intended. By the 3rd year, we FINALLY were trained together as a staff in certain areas (i.e. Orton-Gillingham & Spalding Phonics). It was not bad to be a student in the early years of the charter -- but those students who enrolled in year 3 and beyond got the best staff possible with complete training. And yes, IEW may have to get in there and do up a week of training during summer break or before Fall 2010?

I'm just saying to the OP to be realistic and give some grace (& mercy) in this situation. I'm sure the staff is doing the best they can do with IEW. If she doesn't like it, she can pull her kids out. It happened with some hs families in the first 2 years at our Charter -- then they enrolled them back in after year 3. ;) Would the teacher allow you to come in and demonstrate a lesson to the kids? Or could you afterschool and work on a report to be graded at home with the help of the teacher (she helps you to create a grading rubric)?

It sounds like the OP just needs to develop a basic grading rubric? This is very easy to do. I'm sure even the teachers at the charter can guide her in this. She may have to consider dropping her kids from the charter until they "jell" together as a staff with IEW. I would also advise the OP to tread carefully in telling teachers how to teach (they may be bringing in their fave lesson plans from other schools, for example) as word will get out to other teachers about the so-called "problem parent" and worst case is gossip will spread amongst teachers about parent being difficult, etc. Teachers usually handle this by shutting out the parent and ignoring them -- or not letting them into the classroom. Kindness, patience, and a willingness to give the model a try in circumstances will speak volumes to a new staff with encouragement (not criticism). When I had former hs parents who met me halfway and were kind and non-judgmental, I worked with them in their concerns. Remember back then, I was very anti-hsing and these parents were "witnesses" to homeschooling to a public school teacher. I had some GEMS of hs parents who were wonderful... and 1-2 parents who were absolutely wickedly horrible. Our entire school dreaded these 1-2 families and rejoiced when they finally left. Which is quite sad. Just be careful with your role as a homeschooler, kwim?

Edited by tex-mex

I would never pay someone to teach IEW who hadn't taught it in a class (not just to their own dc) for a few years. They should not have labeled it as an IEW class, but instead should have worked up to that in a few years, letting the teachers work in aspects as they became comfortable.

At this point, I would pull the 8th grader from the writing class and use the time to teach her myself. It sounds like she would be better off. Even if you can't get a refund, it would still be worth it. I would argue for a refund, though, based on the fact that it is not as advertised.

If you need some rubric guidelines, I have the grading sheets from teaching through Units I-IX this past semester with 7th-8th graders. I would be happy to email you my syllabus and the grade sheets. PM me or email me from my blog (below.)

Edited by angela in ohio

If you need some rubric guidelines, I have the grading sheets from teaching through Units I-IX this past semester with 7th-8th graders. I would be happy to email you my syllabus and the grade sheets. PM me or email me from my blog (below.)

:iagree: I think this will help the OP greatly.

If they said they'd be using IEW than they should be using the program. In the theme based books they actually have check-lists that make grading a snap. In the workbook there is also a checklist (page 23 I think?) that I would laminate and give to each of the kids at the beginning of each semseter that I taught IEW.

4 years ago I hired a teacher for a co-op I was running to teach IEW. She didn't do the training and the class was a hybrid mish-mash of english "stuff." Belive me, I got a LOT of complaints!