Menu

Since canned pumpkin is nowhere to be found . . .

What is it with disappearing canned pumpkin? I had a difficult time finding any around Christmastime.

I use sweet potatoes as a substitute for pumpkin in cakes depending on which I have to hand at the time. There is difference is subtle.

I called Libby to ask them and the lady said the harvest of quality pumpkins was not very good and because they only want the best the availability was down. When I did finally find canned pumpkin, I purchased 8 cans. I still have a few left for next fall in case the same thing happens next year. I did find some large cans of pumpkin in some local stores but not Target, Publix, or WalMart

What is it with disappearing canned pumpkin? I had a difficult time finding any around Christmastime.

I posted this back around Thanksgiving after I saw it on CNN:

Apparently the Nestle company owns 85% of the nation's pumpkin that is produced for canning, and they've stated that because of a too-wet growing season, much of this year's pumpkin crop was lost. They expect to be out of canned pumpkin to ship to grocers before Thanksgiving, and will not be able to ship more until next year's harvest begins in August 2010.

FWIW, if you go to a natural food store, you might be able to find organic canned pumpkin. Most organic pumpkins are grown in the Pacific Northwest and weren't affected by the midwestern rains the way the conventional crop was. For that reason, organic captured a larger share of the market this last year.

I posted this back around Thanksgiving after I saw it on CNN:

Apparently the Nestle company owns 85% of the nation's pumpkin that is produced for canning, and they've stated that because of a too-wet growing season, much of this year's pumpkin crop was lost. They expect to be out of canned pumpkin to ship to grocers before Thanksgiving, and will not be able to ship more until next year's harvest begins in August 2010.

I think dh is going to have to get used to sweet potato pie. I did not know that. Nestle stinks.

If you really want "pumpkin" you can try butternut squash. Peel with a vegetable peeler. Halve, seed and cube it, toss with a tiny bit of olive oil and bake at 425 for...20-30 min. (?Can't remember how long I usually bake it.?) Until the cubes are soft, anyway. Let cool and puree in the food processor. It tastes so much fresher than canned pumpkin. :)

Cat