Menu

Any advice for making a dog smell less like a dog?

Anyone have any advice for this? I'm pregnant and very, very, VERY sensitive to the smell of our dog. We've bathed her- almost too much- her skin is getting dry, but anytime she's within 5 feet of me, I literally feel sick.... this has been going on for weeks and it's only getting worse!!!!!

It doesn't help that we've been unable to sell our house after my dh got a job in another state and we're renting a super-small apartment. I feel like the whole house smells like a dog and I'm embarrassed to have anyone over- although I've been assured that other people don't smell it like I do.

Help!

I'm with you on preggo sicky smells. One time DH wanted to go to Red Lobster and I told him I couldn't handle the smell. He thought I was being a drama queen, so I tried. We walked in the door and I puked all over the host stand. 'Nuff said. He learned. :D

As for doggie smell, have you sprinkled her with baking soda? Just a thought.

A second vote for changing the food. It is kinda like when we eat too much garlic.

We have a lab/some-sort-of-hound mix and she doesn't stink at all! I've never experienced any dog like her - it is fantastic! Possibly talk with your vet or a canine nutritionist to see what would best suit your dog.

Thanks for the ideas! I'm definitely going to try the vinegar rinse very soon! (or rather, have dh do it- since I can't get close to her!) We changed her food recently based on a recommendation to help her dry skin. I can't remember what it's called- something like Natural Choice. I didn't notice that it changed the way she smelled.

If beagles are the smelliest dogs, that could be the problem! She's a puggle, half pug and half beagle.

I foster dogs which come to me in bad, bad shape.

The current one is a newfie x who was totally matted & stank from about a block away.

After a few days here I was able to get him into a groomer to shave him down but he had a total freak out about getting bathed so she wasn't able to do him (& she does tons of dogs for rescue so she's experienced in dealing with obnoxious/scared/unsocialized etc dogs - he just was not having any of it.)

So, Mr stinky came home unbathed, though at least we got large chunks of the stinky matted fur off him. You would not believe the things hanging off his butt.

Anyway - stinky dogs - btdt.

He no longer stinks. In fact, he smells nice & he's been here 3 weeks.

In no particular order, some things that work:

-food. I've got him on raw & I happen to think this has the fastest effect but I've achieved similar results with premium commercial foods. Orijen, Taste of the Wild or similar. NO GRAINS.

-salmon oil supplements. For a beaglexpug I'd say 1000 mg per day. Give a human grade capsule or cut the capsule with nail scissors & squeeze onto food.

-vet check to rule out fungal/bacterial skin infections

-make sure ears are clean

-make sure anal glands are ok (if you feed raw &/or give raw recreational bones, that usually takes care of anal glands; otherwise they can impact & they will STINK)

-if problems persist, consider an allergen elimination diet. I'd always start with cutting out grains first though & upping essential fatty acids.

-when I'm really desparate (like with this newf LOL), I take a face cloth and lightly spritz it with Nature's Miracle and gently rub on the coat. It takes the edge off a bit.

I fundamentally believe though that you need to treat this from the inside out with excellent nutrition & skin & coat care.

Brush daily but gently with a curry comb (a rubber nipply brush; it's a good massage and great for skin and coat)

Stop the frequent bathing - it usually makes things worse.

Once I get a dog in good condition, I rarely bathe. Mind you, I live in a place where we get soaked to the skin in rain several times a month. I towel them off thoroughly when we get home & that's as much bathing as they need. One of my dogs also enjoys swimming but the other one is not a fan of water & she still smells lovely.

Oh & one last thing - no matter how bad she smells to you, remember that her nose is waaaaaay more powerful than yours & people often douse themselves in weird perfumes and lotions which hurt their noses more than their b.o. hurts us. :)