Menu

S/O from words thread: please use "whence" in a sentence

The word "whence" is not preceded by the word "from" because "from" is embedded into the meaning of "whence." (see dictionaries) This structure parallels how one uses the word "whither". One would not write, "To whither dost thou travel?", but "Whither dost thou travel?"

It is a good word to revive, I agree !

Whence (copied from the online dictionary)

adv.

1. From where; from what place: Whence came this traveler?

2. From what origin or source: Whence comes this splendid feast?

conj.

1. Out of which place; from or out of which.

2. By reason of which; from which: The dog was coal black from nose to tail, whence the name Shadow.

I personally like "Whence comes this splendid feast?"

The word "whence" is not preceded by the word "from" because "from" is embedded into the meaning of "whence." (see dictionaries) This structure parallels how one uses the word "whither". One would not write, "To whither dost thou travel?", but "Whither dost thou travel?"

Hmm, now I will have ammo against my mother lol. She loved to tell us to "go back from whence you came" when we were kids and occasionally now. So next time she says it I can correct her grammar :)

Hmm, now I will have ammo against my mother lol. She loved to tell us to "go back from whence you came" when we were kids and occasionally now. So next time she says it I can correct her grammar :)

Not quite. :)

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-fro2.htm

quoting thence: (hehe)

And even a brief look at historical sources shows that from whence has been common since the thirteenth century. It has been used by Shakespeare, Defoe (in the opening of Robinson Crusoe: “He got a good estate by merchandise, and leaving off his trade, lived afterwards at York; from whence he had married my motherâ€), Smollett, Dickens (in A Christmas Carol: “He began to think that the source and secret of this ghostly light might be in the adjoining room, from whence, on further tracing it, it seemed to shineâ€), Dryden, Gibbon, Twain (in Innocents Abroad: “He traveled all around, till at last he came to the place from whence he startedâ€), and Trollope, and it appears 27 times in the King James Bible (including Psalm 121: “I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my helpâ€).

That's interesting ~ I don't think I've ever seen whence without from in front of it.