Menu

What age to give "adult" multi vitamins??

I think that vitamins, like most meds are based on size. My 14ds just started taking them a couple weeks ago. He has been larger than me for a year and a half to two years, but we never thought about it until recently. You may want to call your peditrician if your doubtful. I know iron is the most worisome to my ped. He says it's the most overdosed one they see.

I think that vitamins, like most meds are based on size. My 14ds just started taking them a couple weeks ago. He has been larger than me for a year and a half to two years, but we never thought about it until recently. You may want to call your peditrician if your doubtful. I know iron is the most worisome to my ped. He says it's the most overdosed one they see.

Yes, I told the woman at the store that I did indeed what to check with the ped and will call M or T. While I do give my dd a great diet (my friends have always mentioned that), I'd rather give a multi as well. We grow and buy organic, but not every ounce of our food falls into that category.

Thanks again.

My dd will turn 11 this May. She has started to develop, but has not started her menses yet.

I think the toddler/kid vits might not be "enough" for her, but am concerned if the adult dose might be too much.

What do you think? Thanks.

Sheryl <><

I buy vitamin/mineral supplement that are formulated especially for Pre-Teens. They have different formulas for boys and girls. I get them at the health food store, and I've seen them at the Vitamin Shoppe.

I always figured that the idea of vitamins being for certain age groups or genders is just about marketing. I mean, a woman's vitamin might have more iron and calcium than a man's vitamin and a prenatal vitamin will have folic acid, but the differences are subtle. I mean... it's not like the 100% of vitamin C in a given multivitamin is different for a man than for a woman or a child. The RDAs are for ages 4 and up, so I'd just look at how much of each vitamin or mineral is included in the multivitamin and find a product (adult or children's) that you like.

DH took a good look recently, and the the only significant thing they increase in a prenatal vit is the iron. Women's and generic-for-everyone vitamins usually have just as much folic acid.

I won't take prenatals; there's such a thing as too much of a good thing when it comes to iron!

You could just let her munch 2 or 3 instead of one chewable. I know at that age there was no way I could swallow a big horse pill like most multivitamins. They also have chocolate chew vitamins now, for adults.

You could give her two chewables or one and half. I couldnt swallow the adult pills when I was prego so the doctor reccomended two chewables.

I give my son power teen and I buy it from vitacost.com. Here's a link to it: http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Plus-Source-of-Life-Power-Teen

Melissa

I worked as a nurse in a pediatrician's office. Twelve was the age when we would recommend adult doses of vitamins. One a Day has some gummie vitamins for adults now if she has trouble swallowing the nasty horse pills that are adult multi-vitamins.

Diane W.

Thanks all....Diane, yes, I thought I remembered hearing something around this age. She turns 11 in May so it seems I'll have to wait a year. Will call her ped on M to check with them, but it seems this is protocol. Thanks Sheryl <><

I just started giving mine liquid's. I tried the powder and they hated it, but they love the liquid. I can vary the amount given for each boy depending on age and size. They are a little more money, but not a lot more.

They liked the Nature's Plus Source of Life multi at Vitacost. They loved the kids one, but there isn't too much quantity in those, so I did the regular ones too.

This time I have the Nature's Way Alive ones coming - a little more quantity in these and it's the same amount to take.