Menu

How many professionals are on these forums?

How many professionals are on these forums?  

1. 1. How many professionals are on these forums?

• Accountant
    • Teacher
    • Doctor
    • Lawyer
    • Other category--please describe

Guess what? It's German (my French is not sufficient for a "professional" level). I just saw you have German in your signature line. :)

Ihr Deutsch ist wahrscheinlich besser als mein! Es ist mehr als zwanzig Jahre, seit ich Deutsch studieren habe. :)

Seriously, though, I think being a translator would be a great occupation. The sister of one of my best friends is a translator/interpreter. She started out with German, I believe, and then branched out into French and Spanish. Very cool!

I'm a former HS/MS Principal and Elementary Principal in a private christian school. I am a former teacher of grades 5-12. I am also a certifiied educational therapist in private practice, curriculum consultant, and more. I do private therapy and testing in my home therapy station/school room after school hours only. I home school my DGD who is in 9th grade in the mornings and do any therapy in the afternoons. My dh has an engineering physics degree and helps out with the higher math, science, history and when he is away on his job working as a contractor for the USMC, he sometimes uses Skype to teach DGD Geometry and helps out with his love, "Civil War", which we are just completing. I also have four other DGC who are home schooled and occasionally I help my daughter out with them. I will be teaching DGS Latin next year. I home schooled my first 3 children 7-12th grades in the '80's and now get to help home school their children. Guys and gals you never know where the path will lead you as you grow older. Oh I forgot, my first degree was in nursing but only use that one now when needed. :lol: A teacher is never retired just more flexible in where she teaches.:D

Edited by Georgia On My Mind

Ihr Deutsch ist wahrscheinlich besser als mein! Es ist mehr als zwanzig Jahre, seit ich Deutsch studieren habe. :)

Seriously, though, I think being a translator would be a great occupation. The sister of one of my best friends is a translator/interpreter. She started out with German, I believe, and then branched out into French and Spanish. Very cool!

I am glad I studied translation & interpretation because now I can do it from home. I do mostly medical situations but they can really call me for all kinds of scenarios. I am most comfortable with medical because I have a better knowledge base in this subject than electronics, for instance.

I am on call mostly at nights and after 2-3 calls "nicely spaced" :glare: between the hours of 1am - 5am, I feel as if run over by a dump truck. Last night was fairly quiet - thank God. The night before was he**.

I can't imagine doing Spanish - I think one would never sleep!

:)

Wow all you parents that are professionals and still homeschool amaze me. I don't know how I would find time to fit a p/t menial job in, let alone one that actually required me to be focused and "on". I can barely keep up now with just the schooling, appt's, extracurrics, and housework. You all much be extremely well organized to add work into the mix.

I voted other.

I am the Operations/Business Manager of a Childrens Consignment Sale that is held 2X a year. I work mainly from home 40 weeks out of the year. Six of those weeks are 60-80 hour weeks and 2 of those weeks are completely away from home.

At times it is hard to juggle but I just plan our "breaks" during my busy time. It allows me to stay at home though and home school.

I apologize for forgetting about professions like engineering and writing; when I typed this up this morning, these were the professions that came to my mind first thing---before I'd had a full cup of coffee! :)
You don't have a category for "I am not a professional.";) I did take Early Childhood Ed classes but Jake derailed my plans.

You don't have a category for "I am not a professional.";) I did take Early Childhood Ed classes but Jake derailed my plans.

Hey that is what I was studying when Austin started having troubles in daycare. I only finished yr 1 of 2. After that I was back to being home mostly full time.

I was a lawyer before ds was born 11 years ago. I tried working part time when the two oldest were in preschool, but that was too much for me even though I had incredibly flexible hours and could work whenever I wanted. I started writing books about the same time I started homeschooling, and I feel like I've definitely neglected homeschooling. Thank goodness for LCC. I just met my last deadline and don't want to write ever again---however--it keeps drawing me in. I'd love to be an adjunct prof. somewhere. But as with writing that would be more for my head than our checking account. The worst part of writing was that I felt guilty whenever I was doing anything else. It took the joy out of my life.

DH is CEO of a technology company and is quite busy. He's very attuned to what we're doing, but not very hands on.

Laura

I started writing books about the same time I started homeschooling, and I feel like I've definitely neglected homeschooling. Thank goodness for LCC. I just met my last deadline and don't want to write ever again---however--it keeps drawing me in. ..... But as with writing that would be more for my head than our checking account.
:iagree:No more deadlines ever again. I won't quit though. It is a part of me.

How do you balance your professional career with homeschooling? Is your career on hold for now? Do you still work in your chosen field part-time?

Not me, I haven't done full time paid work for years. But my other half has totally changed his work arrangements in order to contribute more to homeschooling. He was working 40-50 hours per week for an employer, but he has quit and started his own business so that he can have more flexibility with his hours. Also I help out by acting as his PA so he works fewer hours overall.

I take my hat off to those parents who either both work and homeschool, or work and homeschool as a single mom/dad.