Menu

What do you suggest for a one-year stand alone geography course?

We're using Introduction to Geography by Bergman. It's adequate, but that's about all. I'm supplementing with various living books and DVDs and instead of tests I'm having him do projects for each chapter, usually a 2-3 page paper, but sometimes other things. For example, he gave a presentation on geochemical cycles and he is currently doing an oral history with his grandmother about her experience growing up in a Yiddish speaking household as the project for the chapter on language and religion.

You don't say for which grade you are looking. My kids both used Runkle Geography in 8th grade, and it was sufficient. If you want to use it as a high school course you could either make it more of a cultural geography course or a physical science course by adding a Teaching Company course -- they have a "Cultures of the World" course and several Earth Science courses. Add some travel literature for good measure and you've got a year long high school course.

Also using BJU's Geography this year. The kids have really enjoyed it and learned a lot. It definitely has religious views in it. It has brought on some excellent discussions in our home. (We don't necessarily agree with some of the ideas presented.) Those have, perhaps, been the best part of the class.:)

Have you thought about a on-line class? CLAA is offering geography and we plan to have our 15 take it when he's done with some other stuff. He just started Latin with them and it seems very comprehensive. Andrew Campbell was going to be teaching for them, but not sure now that he's HeadMastering

www.classicalliberalarts.com/

It's definitely Catholic and we are definitely not, but that's o.k.

Another BJU user here. My 8th grader and 10th grader are using it. They enjoy it and have taken a bit of interest in the rest of the world. A couple of the maps they have used have me scratching my head (graphics), but otherwise, it's fairly decent - pending Christian views, which we, like others both agree and disagree with.

Overall I recommend it.

Two of my boys did Bob Jones. The 3rd is up next year. If I don't switch to Tapestry of Grace he will do Bob Jones as well. There is a lot of information. My sister-in-law thought it had too much busy work and switched to something else that was a semester course. I can't remember what.

Cindy