Menu

I have finally figured out how to lose weight

"I" finally learned how to lose weight. I log EVERY single thing I eat into Sparkpeople.com. I haven't given up anything. And it's working!

I discovered that on the days I wasn't going "really" overboard with my eating, I was eating too few calories. I was slowing my metabolism down and hanging onto every.single.calorie that went into my mouth.

I would ask you doctor if it is ok for you to try Atkin's diet. It does allow cream and cheeses:) People with certain conditions should not do it such as those with kidney disease. It also has evidence of efficacy as well as health benefits.

I am on the low carb phase which I will probably need for th next year or so since I managed to put on about 100 pounds:( OTOH, after 2 weeks on the diet, I have no continual cravings day in and day out:) I also feel 100% better:)

My dh said this week that he has also found the secret: 2 meals a day, no carbs, no alcohol, no sweets, no fruit, no soda, nothing processed, no dairy, no wheat........

Hello!!! I would rather carry these extra 10 lbs. Sorry, but I cannot give up that much. How can it be healthy??

I started this almost two weeks ago in an attempt to heal a fungus infection I have been dealing with for 6 months and is not responding to treatment. So I basically can't eat anything my body would turn into sugar, anything fermented, anything aged, anything that could contain mold, etc.

The good news is that I have no cravings or hunger. The bad news is that I can't seem to enjoy any of it. I do want to lose 15-20 lbs and the low carb seems to be doing it. I've tried low carb before and haven't lost this way but I think it is the cheese. Without cheese or carbs it is hard to eat too many calories.

I'm going to try to stick with the low carb idea even if I give up on healing my infection. I'm just going to have to find a way to enjoy it a little. It's sad not to take any pleasure in cooking/ eating.

After years of struggles I'm afraid I've found the answer:

No carbs, no dairy... no wine :(

It's working but it's no way to live.

Marie

Thats why restrictive diets generally dont work. You need to find a way to eat that is sustainable over the long term.

No carbs, no dairy... no wine :(

It's working but it's no way to live.

Absolutely, but then, this is losing weight (or in your case, a health adjustment), not living. Once you have lost however much you need to, you slowly re-introduce your off-limit items back in sensible quantities.

Having said that, I'm not in favour of "no" when it comes to dieting, unless it is a specific item that is your weakness. It's best for me to cut out bread, because I am a lazy eater, and might well eat just bread (preferably with thick butter and syrup) for both breakfast and lunch.

But I know what you mean about finally finding an approach that works. I believe in a balanced diet over anything else. At the moment I'm doing fruit for breakfast, with a sprinking of muesli, veggies and grain (cousous, bulgar or brown rice) in a salad for lunch, and a sensible dinner. Biggest thing for me was switching to fat-free milk and replacing cheese with low fat feta.

Nikki

Edited by nd293

South Beach really works for me - the almost-no-carbs thing is only 2 weeks. I can have some wine; I can drink my coffee; I can have dairy if it's low-fat. After the first two weeks, I can have some carbs as long as they're whole-grain and don't over-do. I don't lose weight super-fast, but I lose it consistently, and it's a "diet" that I can live with long-term, so it stays off.

worked as well as anything for me. It is something like this: no seconds, no sugar, no snacks....but you can on days starting with an S. Thats not all, but it was pretty much common sense....out the window, with that trip to the Russell Stover's outlet for Valentines' Day.

LBS

worked as well as anything for me. It is something like this: no seconds, no sugar, no snacks....but you can on days starting with an S. Thats not all, but it was pretty much common sense....out the window, with that trip to the Russell Stover's outlet for Valentines' Day.

LBS

This is what I've been doing since Jan 1, combined with a goal of 5 minutes of weight training four days a week. I could stand to lose 20-30 pounds, but my goal is to lose 10 pounds this year through honest-to-goodness lifestyle changes. (In other words, I plan to keep on the No-S diet and the 5 minutes of weight training forever, not just until I lose weight.)

Until yesterday (when I had two French fudge cakes with Ben & Jerry's!), I was down 4.5 pounds since Jan 1. And because I can seriously overindulge on the weekends if I want to (sometimes I do, sometimes I don't), I don't feel deprived.

I *think* I've finally found something I can live with. It's not going to get me in swimsuit shape, but it seems to be reversing the weight gain trend of the past couple of years.

Check back with me in a year and I'll tell you if it actually worked.

I've got a way, but I don't recommend it...

Son with dairy allergy, then nut allergy. Connect food to death and you change your diet pretty quickly. :glare:

On the plus side, we're eating healthier and I'm at my college weight again - something I wasn't able to do even when working out a lot.