Menu

My ds is asking for easy read Latin books

Tom is still doing Prima Latina, which he loves. Now he wants to start reading easy Latin bks. Should I start with The Cat in The Hat in Latin or are their easier ones? Thank you in advance for any help .:)

My ds is using Little Latin Readers from CHC. They are Catholic, so I don't know if you would mind that. You can see samples on their web page.

http://www.chcweb.com/catalog/LanguageArts/Latin/LittleLatinReaders/product_info.html?

We had fun with this series: http://www.bolchazy.com/prod.php?cat=latin&id=617X

However, I wouldn't pay this much for it. I found mine used. If memory serves (it's been awhile), I think the CD uses classical Latin pronunciation and not ecclesiastical like PL. This wasn't a big deal for me, but you might not agree.

HTH!

:iagree:

I second these. Very simple for the earliest readers of Latin!

getting some actual Latin "reading" texts (look for them used for a better price), and your son could use the first lessons as easy readers. Some possible text names:

Ecce Romani

Minimus

Cambridge Latin

Latin Book One (the first half of this book is available free online - just google it)

Lingua Latina

Latin Prep

even Henle

of course, these are more advanced texts that will quickly outpace your son, but they all have several beginning lessons that could serve as easy readers. And, they have the added benefit of being a nice resource/reference for future use.

To give you an idea what I mean, here is the very first exercise in Latin Book One:

Britannia est insula. Hibernia est insula. Italia non est insula. Europa non est insula. Britannia non est parva insula. Hibernia non est parva insula.

And then there's a vocabulary list below the reading that includes words & their definitions, by which you can decode the reading.

Or, alternatively, in Lingua Latina, the first reading is very similar to the one above, except that there is no vocabulary list. Instead there are notes in the margins by which you can "intuit" the meaning from the context.

Here are some other Latin readers I found on amazon....

How would you rate them for sensability and difficulty?

1. Virent Ova! Viret Perna!! (Green Eggs and Ham in Latin)
  2. Quomodo Ividiosulus Nomine Grinchus Christi Natalem Abrogaverit (How the Grinch Stole Christmas in Latin)
  3. Wille Ille Pu
  4. Ferdinandus Taurus

Opps! I should have started a new post since you are talking about PL level... sorry!

If anyone wants to answer... using LC when should we expect to be capable of reading these books?

We use Cambridge Latin along with Latin Prep...more alternatively than simultaneously.....and it is amazing how quickly the kids learn to read Latin with Cambridge. It gives quite a confidence. The stories are based on Latin texts, but are interesting. They are designed for about age 11 up, but I know 8year olds who have managed with help.