Menu

Has anyone started RS4K earlier than 3rd grade?

Happy2BaMom

I haven't had the easiest time implementing the WTM Science methodology. I feel like it is interesting (which is great, I know) but my son, 7, is very interested in science and wants to "do more science, not just animals and plants".

So I recently purchased BFSU (Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding) and we have started using it, but I can tell already that it isn't going to work for me. If I was teaching in a classroom, it would be a great fit. But I don't want something this text-heavy and this teacher-dependent. I don't mind teaching science, but I would like more support with interesting student materials that my son can also study.

So now I'm looking at RS4K, but it appears that it is supposed to be for 3rd grade and above. My son is in the oft-maligned-and-little-understood "truly gifted" group, so I think he could handle it, but I was wondering what other parents' experiences were.

Oh - as an aside - can we please not go down the 'RS4K: curriculum or hidden agenda' path? I get the issue, but that's not where I seek to go right now.

Thank you for any and all input!

We started Chemistry Pre-Level 1 last year and finished it up this year.

My 4 year old actually got a lot out of it as well, they both love to ask if different things are made of atoms.

The other day my 4 year old finally asked something where the answer was no..."Mom, are shadows made of molecules?"

You can view the entire book online and read a few pages and how you think it will work for you.

My youngest turned 8 whilst using RS4K Biology 1. She really enjoyed it & got a lot out of it. She'd pleaded with me to buy it after I showed her the first chapter online.

ETA you might also take a look at McHenry's Elements - a little more text heavy than RS4K, but great hands on activities to reinforce learning.

Edited by freerange

We used the pre-level one last year with my son when he was six, and for this bright little science-enthusiast, the pre-level 1 was a bit too easy. We bumped it up with extras, but I really liked the approach and the organization of the material. My son did not feel patronized by the language even though I really should have used one level up for him. I have Physics Level 1 on the shelf to begin in a couple of months.