Menu

Ok all you CLE users- Pls help!!!

I have been 'eyeing' this curriculum on here for awhile now. I hadn't heard of it until I joined this board, and I have noticed that it seems to be highly regarded among many of you. I mainly have pieced curriculum. I have different things for just about every subject until this year. I just started using BJU for the first time. I never liked the thought of 'boxed' curriculum, but I am finding that as my kids get older and I have more of them that there is a great desire for simplicity. I don't mean to imply that BJU or CLE is simple, but that teaching from one program or source is just much simpler *for me*.

So, this brings me here to you wonderful women. Could you pls enlighten me as to what you like about CLE? I know that might be too broad of a question. I'm sorry. I'm looking for something that is challenging, thorough, and grade level. It doesn't have to be 'advanced'. I just need a good solid curriculum that gets the job done! I am interested in their Reading, LA, math and possibly Science. I currently switched from my "pieced curriculum" to using BJU this year. If you happen to have experience w/both programs I would love a comparison. Since BJU is the only experience I have; I think it would be great to see the similarities and differences w/these two programs.

I would be looking at the 6,3, and 2nd grade levels for this next school year.

We are currently using:

5th grader-BJU math, Science, Reading,Spelling city, some wordly wise, journaling, HWOT, Studying the continents

3rd grader- BJU Reading, Horizon math, Spelling city, ETC, HWOT, Journaling, and studying the continents

1st grader- HOP, independent reading, HWOT, Spelling city, ETC, Horizons math, journaling, and studying the continents.

Many Thanks!

Bethany

For what it's worth, we really like CLE. We're new, though, having only used it this year for 1st. We're using the Math, LA, and have just begun the "I Wonder" Reading program.

The program, in 1st, is very complete IMHO. It covers all sorts of things that I know I'd like to cover, but perhaps may not have thought of doing ;) My ds loves his work, too. The programs we're using are in "Light Units" (10 workbooks for the year). My son is always so happy when he finishes one LU and "gets to start" another! :D

Overall, we're quite happy and plan to continue at LEAST with math, possibly with the LA (if we don't jump over to R&S), and possibly with Reading (we've only done a week or two, so we'll see how we like the program).

I know my ds is younger than your children, and we're not that experienced with the program. That said, I definitely like what I see with CLE.

Just consider this a polite BUMP! :lol:

We are only using CLE math at present (the 300 series), but I'm considering their language arts and reading. The reasons I like it are:

• It's not teacher-intensive.
  • It's so thorough. No need to supplement! There are daily drills in a little box at the beginning of each lesson for the child to check off. They are for mastering facts through flash cards and timed drills as well as counting in different series (i.e. by 4's to 40 forwards and backwards.) The instruction immediately follows and gives a very clear explanation of new concept(s) without being overly wordy. This is followed by daily review of previously learned concepts. Also included are the quizzes and tests in this one neat and tidy package.
  • It is not visually over-stimulating. It has plenty of white space and a nice font as well as a few black and white illustrations.
  • The content is wholesome. Each Lightunit has a theme related to a science or social studies topic (i.e. an insect or a missionary story) that helps make math a little more interesting.
  • And finally, it's so affordable!

My only complaint: I wish it wouldn't have taken 12 years to discover it! ;)

Well, I use CLE LA with my first grader. We are both very happy with it. I am partial to a spiral approach so this is why CLE first peaked my interest. It introduces new concepts every lesson, but with just enough review to make previous lessons stick. My son is challenged, yet not overwhelmed. Each lesson is about 3 pages and he finishes in about 20 minutes or so. I do, however, use a separate spelling program...just my personal preference. I also supplement with additional grammar (FLL as well as some Evan Moore....I like my LA!). I love CLE...in fact, I just ordered their math program for my son. I can't wait to start it.....keeping my fingers crossed it goes over with him as well as LA has!

We switched to CLE Math about a month ago. We love it! We were trying to juggle 2-3 math programs before, in order to get a good mix of drill and conceptual math, and I feel that CLE covers it all. So, we are just doing ONE math program now! The children enjoy it and are learning a lot. I really like the setup of the Light Units and the TM. It is SO easy to teach.

I love the responses, and it's really helpful for me to see what you all like about the program.

I've noticed that many of you are not using the entire program and are also leaning toward R&S. That seems to be another highly regarded program.

I will continue to read the responses and do my research!

Thanks everyone!

Bethany

We are only using CLE math at present (the 300 series), but I'm considering their language arts and reading. The reasons I like it are:

• It's not teacher-intensive.

• It's so thorough. No need to supplement! There are daily drills in a little box at the beginning of each lesson for the child to check off. They are for mastering facts through flash cards and timed drills as well as counting in different series (i.e. by 4's to 40 forwards and backwards.) The instruction immediately follows and gives a very clear explanation of new concept(s) without being overly wordy. This is followed by daily review of previously learned concepts. Also included are the quizzes and tests in this one neat and tidy package.

• It is not visually over-stimulating. It has plenty of white space and a nice font as well as a few black and white illustrations.

• The content is wholesome. Each Lightunit has a theme related to a science or social studies topic (i.e. an insect or a missionary story) that helps make math a little more interesting.

• And finally, it's so affordable!

My only complaint: I wish it wouldn't have taken 12 years to discover it! ;)

:iagree:

I can't say it better than this. We use it for our four kids for all subjects. For the real test, we have to see how a curriculum handles our "bad" days (you know the days when no one really wants to do schoolwork). And it is so thorough and "open and go" that you can just get it done.

We'll keep using this as long as it keeps working. It's been great for us in every way.

We were using BJU Math 2 and switched to CLE Math 2. My ds started it at the first of January. I really like CLE better for him. So much of the review was in my book not his. I realized he needed a more spiral approach, while BJU is mastery.

He really is enjoying the speed drills in CLE. He is getting all 28 right in the 2 minutes, but is trying to see how much time he can have left of the 2 minutes. He was so excited when he had 40 seconds left on an addition drill. He can't get leave that much with subtraction yet.

I am using their LA 1 also, but I do not have experience with BJU LA. I am using BJU Reading 1, though. He really enjoys it. I will add CLE's I Wonder after he completes LA 104, toward the end of February. I am anxious to see how it goes. I own BJU's 2nd-5th grade reading programs, except for the worktexts or Book Links. Unless I see something tremendous in CLE Reading, I feel that I will stick with BJU for a while. I might switch in 4th grade because it will only be half a year, leaving plenty of time for real books.

My dd is using 7th Reading. I think it is very good. It covers a lot of literary analysis, comprehension, and vocabulary.

This is my first year of hs'ing... Actually my 1st semester! I use CLE Math and Science for my 2nd grader.

I like both subjects because they are very open-and-go.

As others have mentioned, the Math has a lot of review and spirals. I don't feel compelled supplement because there is plenty of practice provided in each less. Sometimes on Fridays, just for a change of pace, we will focus on Flashcards or worksheets from my Evan-Moore book or some other activity... But for the most part my son wants to complete 1-2 lessons/day and can do most of it relatively independently.

The 200 Level Science is also very open-and-go. He usually does 1-2 lessons/day primarily because he finds them so interesting. Normally I skim the Lesson for words he may struggle with and point them out to him, and then he completes the lesson independently. We check it together and discuss what he learned. Sometimes there is a subject (right now it's cougars) that peaks his interest and we spend some time looking for independent reading books and DVD's that will go into more depth on the subject. Other times we just move on.

HTH

I pieced everything together from various sources for almost a year, and then I found CLE :). We just use LA and Math. CLE gathers up everything I feel like we should be doing, integrates it in a nice tidy package, and we get it done.

The LA is a bit of a stretch for my son because of his learning disabilities, but I *love* it. He is learning so much and it is really helping him put the pieces together. He is becoming more independent and is finally writing complete sentences to answer the questions. I like how there isn't an overwhelming amount of writing in the book, but kids who are good writers can do all the creative writing assignments from the TM.

He is strong in math and doing well in the 300 series. I do *not* feel the need to supplement math and I am thrilled at all we are covering.

• The breadth of instruction is excellent. It is definitely on grade level.
  • The explanations are great and I do not need to refer to a TM or make something up
  • Each lesson briefly reviews several previously-learned topics, so my ds feels accomplished with how much he knows
  • Because everything I need for a subject is in one booklet, our classtime is much more streamlined and efficient
  • My MIL teaches math in an excellent elem. school and she is thrilled with the scope & sequence and presentation. It covers everything she sees her kids not knowing (like how to measure correctly, how to conceptualize fractions, etc.).

Previously we used Singapore which had nowhere near enough review for ds. Then we used Horizons which I really like overall, but there aren't any explanations on the worksheets and the worksheets looked like "all work." Ds really likes CLE. We are on our 16th lesson after the switch, and he has started taking his LightUnit into his bedroom to finish on his own because he enjoys it.

Edited by ondreeuh

My older ds used R&S English 3-7; math 3-6,8.

I switched my younger ds to CLE math 5; and CLE LA 7 this year. I'm very glad we made the switch to CLE. We've used the CLE reading program 4-8; CLE readers 1-3 only.

I highly recommend CLE math, reading and LA! It's every bit as good as everyone says AND it's easy to use. :001_smile:

Edited by MIch elle

My older ds used R&S English 3-7; math 3-6,8.

I switched my younger ds to CLE math 5 and CLE LA 7 this year. I'm very glad we made the switch to CLE. We've used the CLE reading program 4-8; CLE readers 1-3 only.

I highly recommend CLE math, reading and LA! It's every bit as good as everyone says AND it's easy to use. :001_smile:

Based on MIch_elle's recommendation, I tried CLE 6 Reading this year. It has been such a blessing. The stories are so wholesome and help build character and I think the lessons do a great job of covering literary elements in a way that makes it easy for a child to retain. We will use it again next year. I use R&S for English and have stayed with that only b/c we do it all orally as my son has ADHD and takes a long time to complete his lessons. I have looked at CLE LA though and would have no hesitation in using it as well.

You ladies are wonderful and have given me the info that I was searching for before taking the plunge. I feel a lot more comfortable about trying it out. I am so excited, and it sounds like it will be perfect for our family.

Thank you soooo much!!! I can't wait to get my materials! I can't wait to post my thoughts after I receive them and try them out!

Bethany

I think you will be very pleased. I started CLE LA at the beginning of this school year. I love that it is spiral in review, that it teaches children how to prepare/study for quizzes, that it is very thorough, and that it combines spelling and handwriting with grammar. I was actually so impressed with it that I added the reading program into our schedule as well. If we weren't completely satisfied with BJU Math we would consider CLE based on all the positive reviews.

We use CLE for math, language arts (grammar), and science.

Yacko uses the 600 level, Wacko the 500 level and they are working through the 600 level science together. Dot is in lightunit 107 in English and 109 in math. She'll start 201 in both of them soon.

I fought it for a year, and now I'm kicking myself for not switching sooner. The kids don't LOVE it, but I like that it's pretty much open-and-go, academically is VERY rigorous (the 100 level math corresponds to many of the VA 2nd grade math SOLs), it's independant at the upper grades, and it's very inexpensive. First grade is the most expensive of the levels we're using because I've purchase several manipulatives, but most of them are not required.

CLE doesn't have "pre-algebra" per say, but the 700 & 800 levels ARE pre-algebra and lots of folks go straight from CLE 700 into Algebra 1 in the publisher of choice. (Alg. and higher use a different format.)

For me, the simplicity is a lifesaver. I work third shift two days a week, and knowing that in a pinch the kids can get their core subjects finished in just a couple of hours makes my life so much easier. We do not use their writing program, and only Dot (1st grade) uses the literature program. The boys use Lightening Literature 6 instead.