Menu

Georgette Heyer fans?

I've been cataloging my mom's books (that have been boxed in my basement for several years) and found an absolute treasure trove of Heyer paperbacks. I've never read her. I'm generally very conservative and [ETA:] on top of which [/ETA] don't tend to read a ton of fiction. But I have read and enjoyed Victoria Holt, Mary Stewart, and some Phyllis Whitney in the past (and I do reread some of them somewhat regularly).

Would you say that Heyer's novels are similar to the Holt novels? I'm assuming these are not bodice rippers? (perhaps I'm hoping for too much).

Assuming the above is true where would you start from this list?

A Civil Contract

An Infamous Army

APRIL LADY

Arabella

Bath Tangle

Cousin Kate

Devil's Cub

Duplicate Death

Envious Casca

False Colours

Frederica

Fridays Child

Lady of Quality

Regency Buck

Talisman Ring

The Black Moth

The Conqueror

The Convenient Marriage

The Corinthian

The First Christmas

The Foundling

The Grand Sophy

The masqueraders

The Quiet Gentleman

The Spanish Bride

The Toll Gate

Venetia

Edited by ladydusk
clarification ... I'm conservative on top of which I don't read much fiction; the two aren't particularly connected [smile]

Totally not bodice rippers!

I would start with A Civil Contract or April Lady - they deal with marriages, not just "romances".

If you want a romance from scratch, so to speak,The Talisman Ring is fabulous! But The Corinthian is hysterical!

OK - these four are my favorites from your list but I think that they are all great reading - enjoy them!

ETA: I really do think that I would start with the Talisman Ring. There are two different romances and you get a feel for her *types*, if you know what I mean. And then you can joke about your husband riding "Ventre a Terre" to your side....:001_smile:

I would say that Heyer was a better writer than your other 3 you list. She did a lot of research, and her Regency characters always talk in authentic slang and such, it's really a lot of fun to read.:001_smile: I wish I had found your treasure trove, our library has hardly any of her books!

ETA: I really do think that I would start with the Talisman Ring. There are two different romances and you get a feel for her *types*, if you know what I mean. And then you can joke about your husband riding "Ventre a Terre" to your side....:001_smile:

Perfect, I'll dig out Talisman Ring.

I would say that Heyer was a better writer than your other 3 you list. She did a lot of research, and her Regency characters always talk in authentic slang and such, it's really a lot of fun to read.:001_smile: I wish I had found your treasure trove, our library has hardly any of her books!

Thanks! I really do love Mary Stewart's (older) novels and think she's quite a good writer. Holt & Whitney were my high school favorites, I was just trying to get across the style of romance I find readable. If Heyer is better than Stewart, I'll be very happily surprised with my find :)

Language is more high-brow than typical, modern romance novels or Christian romance novels. You'll love the characters she develops.

I love "The Corinthian". I have almost every one that is on your list. "Devil's Cub" is great, too. Also, one called "La Belvenue" or something like that.

Enjoy them and definitely keep them!

Heyer is a great Regency writer.

I wanted to add - I see a few of her mysteries in your list, too. I thoroughly enjoy her mysteries.

Cousin Kate is a cross between a Regency novel and mystery.

Duplicate Death and Envious Casca are more typical of her mysteries. Usually murder mysteries, they're set in the 1920's or 1930's, with plenty of humor, lots of strong characters, and more of a focus on solving the mystery than on the gruesomeness of the crime itself.

Blessings,

Laura

These are some of my favorite books! My favorite was always Friday's Child, I also love The Foundling, Frederica, Arabella, and The Devil's Cub. I have a bunch I read over and over, I don't like the mysteries as much so I haven't read all of them. Enjoy!

Language is more high-brow than typical, modern romance novels or Christian romance novels. You'll love the characters she develops. Enjoy them and definitely keep them!

I hope so, I can't stand most "Christian" novels. Character development is why to read novels, sometimes. If they end up being this good, I definitely will (not that I don't trust y'all! [grin])

Heyerite here.... I have to agree that the Talisman Ring is a great place to start. I can't remember if I saw the Reluctant Widow on your list, but that is one of my favorites. Enjoy your find!

I don't remember that title, but I'll keep an eye out. Thanks for your advice!

Heyer is a great Regency writer.

I wanted to add - I see a few of her mysteries in your list, too. I thoroughly enjoy her mysteries.

Oh, yay! I love mysteries. Good, non-gruesome mysteries. I used to read a lot of modern mysteries, but I just can't handle the suspense and gruesomeness anymore. That will be something to look forward to.

These are some of my favorite books! My favorite was always Friday's Child, I also love The Foundling, Frederica, Arabella, and The Devil's Cub. I have a bunch I read over and over, I don't like the mysteries as much so I haven't read all of them. Enjoy!

Thanks, it looks promising :)

Oh, I'm so happy for you!!

Agreeing with everyone else - Georgette Heyer is a much better writer than the others you listed. Her slang takes a book or two to get used to so I recommend The Grand Sophy to start out with. There isn't much slang in that one if I recall correctly.

Here is a site that has many of the slang definitions for you - http://www.thenonesuch.com/lexicon.html

A couple of my favorites are Frederica, Arabella, Friday's Child, and Bath Tangle. I've read one of her mysteries - Why Shoot a Butler? and it was good, too.

I keep hoping someone will make a miniseries out of Frederica or Arabella. I think they would be great onscreen!

Have fun!!

Oh, I'm so happy for you!!

I keep hoping someone will make a miniseries out of Frederica or Arabella. I think they would be great onscreen!

Have fun!!

After reading several Heyer novels, my daughters came to me saying, "WHY has no one made a movie out of these books?????" Recently, my SIL told me there actually has been 1 movie made, but I can't remember which book inspired it. I think it might be available online somewhere...I have to ask SIL about it in the morning.

Love her books. She got me hooked on the regency period and I spend a couple of years learning about the history, culture and even the language of the period because it is just so fascinating. There was so much going on then.

I've read and loved them all. They always have a happy ending (my main requirement in a book) but they are not like the mainstream romances of today with all that entails.

Enjoy.:001_smile:

You are SO lucky!!!

I love Heyer and so does my dd. She started reading them when she was 13 & she's been hooked ever since. She's current re-reading The Grand Sophy. That and Bath Tangle are her faves.

I'm more partial to the mysteries but really, you can't go wrong with anything on your list. Read one roughly every 2 weeks & you've got a "Heyer Year" reading challenge thing :D