Menu

Hist. & Scien. TWTM way???

amandajh

Do any of you just do strictly what the WTM suggests for history and science? I am just wondering why I would need a curriculum for doing what they suggest......and why I have been stressing so much about an organized "plan" for these subjects. If my children pick 18 things from an Usborne "spine" book for , let's say, Earth Science, and we then study those things by using library books and doing our own "hands-on" things from the books, then why do I need a "scheduled curriculum"? Same thing for history...Usborne book, pick subjects, get more info about the subject, pick some activities.....there ya go!

Just wondering.......

Do any of you just do strictly what the WTM suggests for history and science? I am just wondering why I would need a curriculum for doing what they suggest......and why I have been stressing so much about an organized "plan" for these subjects. If my children pick 18 things from an Usborne "spine" book for , let's say, Earth Science, and we then study those things by using library books and doing our own "hands-on" things from the books, then why do I need a "scheduled curriculum"? Same thing for history...Usborne book, pick subjects, get more info about the subject, pick some activities.....there ya go!

Just wondering.......

You don't need a scheduled curriculum. Many people here do not use one. I didn't use one for grammar stage with any of my kids. However, I like having a curriculum for logic stage and up. To me, it's easier to cover a good range of topics within a subject and you don't have to look up every piece of basic info.

Not sure what you mean by scheduled curriculum. You mean, why would you do history on MWF and science on TTh? Or, why would you get a different curriculum from TWTM?

What I mean is why should we use something like The Mystery of History or History Odyssey, etc......

I can see why in the older grades it would be easier to use something that is all put together for you like: read SOTW pages 2-4 on Monday, read "Blah Blah" on Tuesday, etc.

But when they are young, is that really necessary??

What I mean is why should we use something like The Mystery of History or History Odyssey, etc......

I can see why in the older grades it would be easier to use something that is all put together for you like: read SOTW pages 2-4 on Monday, read "Blah Blah" on Tuesday, etc.

But when they are young, is that really necessary??

We used SOTW and the activity guide for grammar stage history, I don't think you need anything more than that. I like the narrative style of SOTW. For grammar stage science I used a bunch of Science in a Nutshell kits along with the experiment resources in TWTM. I didn't use a formal program for that age.

So, the answer is, you don't necessarily need to use a formal program, for any age. It depends upon what works best for you and your child.

Edited by Mrs Mungo
curse you, typo!

I have come to realize through time that a scheduled curriculum is not right for us. I think it has come though, as a result of my increasing confidence with homeschooling. It sounds like you have a good plan. I think almost anyone could homeschool successfully with a copy of the WTM and a good or decent library and some hands-on science stuff.

Editing to add---You might want to spend some time here reading through some of the threads from people who follow the WTM way. It has been very helpful to me, and it's free except for your investment of time.

Edited by Poke Salad Annie
needed to add on

I've always tended to do a mostly WTM method for history and science, because I simply prefer it to any set, single curriculum I've found for these subjects. It *is* a lot more work for you, especially if you choose to research and try to find certain books ahead of time, etc. But it really needn't be - as you said, if you are happy to request some library books and take what's available at the time of your request then you should get along just fine. If you have a good library system, this is a lot easier than if you have a very small, limited library system, which I think is the case for some folks.

Do any of you just do strictly what the WTM suggests for history and science?

I pretty much do, and hope to continue. I prefer to have a general study plan and a general "spine" to work from, than to have something that tells me everything to do - I would fail to do everything, and then feel guilty. I love, love, love how WTM gives me guidelines on how to teach these subjects.

I have come to realize through time that a scheduled curriculum is not right for us. I think it has come though, as a result of my increasing confidence with homeschooling. It sounds like you have a good plan. I think almost anyone could homeschool successfully with a copy of the WTM and a good or decent library and some hands-on science stuff.

Editing to add---You might want to spend some time here reading through some of the threads from people who follow the WTM way. It has been very helpful to me, and it's free except for your investment of time.

:iagree:

If I don't purchase the books it doesn't get done. If I don't have a schedule then we take way too long on what should only be one week's worth of work.

For history, well... we got it done and I purchased the books, but I had to plan it myself. It is pure TWTM way even though it is a program.

For Science I have the best of both worlds. We are using Elemental Science which is TWTM way and already scheduled for me. The best part is how simple it is. Three books instead of a bunch to purchase and juggle. I tried it TWTM way, and I tried purchasing a WinterPromise program and both were just too complicated. You have to choose an activity, then gather the supplies, it is too much for me.:tongue_smilie:

I don't like too many choices. If I purchase a curriculum, I want there to be no planning, NO planning, including choices. :D So, actually, most curriculums like MFW and WP are still not as simple as I like them to be.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I think almost anyone could homeschool successfully with a copy of the WTM and a good or decent library and some hands-on science stuff.
True, it is absolutely possible, but it does take SOME planning, ;) and a good or decent library, and trips to said library. Sometimes it is nice to not have to deal with any of that.

We did great with a combo of World Geography and Zoology. I purchased 4 spines and used the library. I chose what continents and countries to cover, we made maps and notebooking pages, projects, read library books and it was great. For some reason it just didn't work that way with Ancient History because our library had very little available that was age-appropriate; most of it was for older children. And it didn't work that way with science because I just can't seem to get it done. I looked at the Janice VanCleave books and all of the words just melted together. :p

Edited by Lovedtodeath

True, it is absolutely possible, but it does take SOME planning, ;) and a good or decent library, and trips to said library. Sometimes it is nice to not have to deal with any of that.

Some planning, yes. But part of my planning includes showing my kids how to find books on topics/events/people/places that they come across in our regular "spine" reading. To me, it's a vital part of educating them. I *want* them to know how to search out and explore books when they grow up, so I spend efforts on this process now. Whether it's libraries, universities, or online/brick-n-mortar bookstores, I feel it's important. I feel it's more important than making sure they "cover" all sorts of particular topics. And because of how we do things (big blocks of reading-alone time each day), they generally *do* cover many topics within our general plan each year.

Some planning, yes. But part of my planning includes showing my kids how to find books on topics/events/people/places that they come across in our regular "spine" reading. To me, it's a vital part of educating them. I *want* them to know how to search out and explore books when they grow up, so I spend efforts on this process now. Whether it's libraries, universities, or online/brick-n-mortar bookstores, I feel it's important. I feel it's more important than making sure they "cover" all sorts of particular topics. And because of how we do things (big blocks of reading-alone time each day), they generally *do* cover many topics within our general plan each year.
That is a very good point. I often think of that when people are searching for good logic stage programs, because at that point I would think that the kids would be finding their own supplemental books.

Part of the novelty of a program for logic stage and beyond is pure convenience. Personally, I love planning, and while I have used various pulled together programs over the years; I always ended up tossing them and doing things my way. (or WTM/CM) I love the flexibility of TWTM or CM and I love winging things like writing, reading, science, etc.

But as my children grow older, I find myself drowning in responsibilities. Older children mean increased schoolwork, more children (in my case, four now) mean an increased workload on my end. Perhaps things would be different if I didn’t have so many children, so close together. Or maybe it’s simply a personality trait of mine, but I can’t keep up with everything anymore! I like to have clean clothes to wear, and the house kept reasonably neat and clean. I want to read my own books and workout from time to time. I need to have time to relax and play with my toddler.

Having a program means less planning on my end, but with the flexibility of adding or dropping things as well. Do I want my children to learn how to look up things and find it themselves? Sure I do, my dd’s favorite thing is going to the library and looking up topics in the catalog to supplement her science studies. She has been doing this for some time now, whether we are using a pulled together curriculum or not.

I don’t know. I don’t think it’s needed but it depends on the situation. While they are young? No, definitely not. Just enjoy the time you have with them and focus on the three R’s. If you feel like you need a little more, and you have the time, try a program, but don’t feel tied to it. Use only bits and pieces of it if you need to; make it work for you, not the other way around.

I love the WTM way, but I also love blending it with other methods and programs...

:iagree:

It's what I'm trying to do to give my child wings of his own so that he is able to fly when the time comes to be fully independent of me. As a very simple introduction to this, and for his age, we are using the older Golden Book Encyclopedias and various other reference books I have on hand here. I am assigning a topic each week for further independent exploration of which I am requiring a written summary. I am already surprised to see how just this small bit of nudging is helping to create the spark for more interest. To me, this is a very important aspect of the goals I have for our homeschool. I don't want to always be in the role of laying out materials in front of him, asking him to be in a passive role. I want him to *want* to find the answers, not just rely on what I have placed in front of him--KWIM?

I've spent the past two years avoiding science programs for my grammar stage kids. I'd say it has worked out *okay* thus far- not great, but certainly not bad. In the fall, we're starting a "formal" curriculum.

I don't do well with strict schedules and must-dos, but I find it easier to scale back on a full curriculum than I do to flesh out a rough outline, if that makes any sense. Even with SOTW, we don't follow the recommended time frame and we don't do all of the activities (though we often read more books), but I always have a sense of where we are and where we're going.

Yes, just about anyone can homeschool straight from TWTM.

Anyone can homeschool straight from an online academy.

Anyone can homeschool straight from Barnes and Noble's workbook section.

But most people aren't cookie cutters and need to adapt different areas of their homeschool even when they agree with a general philosophy. Which is why I'm a big supporter of WTM-based curricula writers. :)

Yes, just about anyone can homeschool straight from TWTM.

Anyone can homeschool straight from an online academy.

Anyone can homeschool straight from Barnes and Noble's workbook section.

But most people aren't cookie cutters and need to adapt different areas of their homeschool even when they agree with a general philosophy. Which is why I'm a big supporter of WTM-based curricula writers. :)

And that's why I put the qualifier of *almost* anyone in my post. It seems that so many people are looking for a scheduled program, then spend the money and find out it's not working, and they're back to square one.

I'm only suggesting an alternative, which I know doesn't work for everyone. But in the big picture, it's nice to know that it *does* work for some of us. That's why I'm working hard to make do with what I have or have access to use, and the WTM is like a handbook of "how to". It's just nice to know that if I can't spend the money, or don't want to get wrapped up in someone else's schedule, I can make my own, and it will work perfectly *for me*.

Edited by Poke Salad Annie
wrong word

We do Science the WTM way. It takes a little extra preparation time for me when we are beginning a new topic. I spent this past weekend getting ready for our next topic: Space and Astronomy. I pulled out our Usborne encyclopedia, put out some threads asking for everyone's best space links and ideas, and hit the library with my book list. I am now armed w/an awesome space activity book, new art supplies and a plan for the first couple of weeks. Once we get into a topic and have a rhythm down, it does not take so much planning time. Now I just need to schedule the right field trip. I do use SOTW for history, which just means picking up library books ahead of time, and the occasional extra supply added to my shopping list for the week. I do like having the library list, the activity ideas, and maps and coloring sheets at my fingertips w/the A.G. I must admit. We will stick w/what we are doing for Science for grammar stage for sure. And looking over WTM for logic, we may stick w/it for that too, unless cost becomes an issue, and a program would be a better deal.

I love, love, love the WTM way of history and science! However, for us, I wanted to use more Christian resources, especially for science and history. So that is why I take the idea of WTM and try to find other resources to fit it as closely as possible. Also, with multiple children at varying ages, it is nice to have something that tells me what to do each day. I wish SWB would revise WTM with more Christian resources for science and history:)