Which Math Program for 4th Grade?  

1. 1. Which Math Program for 4th Grade?

• Saxon
    • Singapore
    • Miquon
    • Teaching Textbooks
    • MUS
    • Other - please specify

In my experience, a transition between Saxon and MUS wouldn't be smooth. When I switched my daughter at the end of Saxon 2, I should have gone back to MUS Beta (2nd grade), rather than going into Gamma. The sequences are really different. Check the extended version (if you look on their website there is a place to see a longer list of the topics covered for each level) of MUS's topics covered in at each level to make sure you have covered everything needed before choosing a level...if you go with MUS.

I voted other.

For fourth grade:

Our eldest didn't like Saxon at all. He was successful with A Beka all the way through.

MUS works very well for second ds. He needs the mastery approach and is in his fourth year with the program.

CLE works best for our third ds. It's incremental like Saxon, but in a worktext format. It's also mainly self-taught and being he's highly visual, he thrives with this approach.

My 12 cents, ;)

For my first son, we used Horizons and supplemented with Life of Fred Fractions for level 4 and I couldn't be happier with the results. My younger son will be doing the same thing soon as well (he's zooming through Horizons 3 right now but I'm trying to slow him down a bit to, ironically, improve his speed with fact drills).

That said, there was just a thread on Saxon that you might find interesting. I think what was discussed there applies to any math program. In my opinion, you can and should modifyas necessary for each kid to make sure they truly understand the fundamentals (and I don't agree that every single problem must be worked even when the child clearly knows it and it becomes total drudgery), but I think almost any math program can work well as long as you teach the fundamentals correctly and stick with it.

For a basal K-6 math program, we loved and still love BJU. I have supplemented with different materials , but this was our basal program. Colorful, hands-on, perfect amount of review with a traditional scope and sequence for standardized test preparation.:)

We switched from Saxon in 2nd grade to Horizon Math. I the colorful workbook format. The teacher's guide provides a lesson outline with plenty of drill activity ideas, hands-on learning activities, explanation & teaching tips. I also like the spiral approach. Revisiting things often has helped my son retain all the new things he learns. It also keeps things interesting by having a nice variety of problems to solve with each lesson.

I voted other because in all honesty the best math program is the one that works for your student and that you can stick with.

The top on my list are Teaching Textbooks and Saxon at the moment. I'm currently using McRuffy for my 2nd grader and they plan to put out a 4th grade in the future, so I will stick with that for her if it's done in time, because it's what is working now. For my oldest Teaching Textbooks is what works.

Miquon only goes to 3rd grade.

I voted Singapore, but I'm doing MEP with DD the Younger and am very impressed with what I've seen so far in Year 1. I'm also a big fan of Life of Fred; it can be started any time after long division with 2 digit divisors has been covered.