Menu

Opinions please on my possible 1st grade curriculum

Joyfullyblessed

Hello!

I hope everyone is doing well. I have really been looking into all types of curriculums, books, etc... in order to plan for 1st grade with my son this coming August or September.

I finally came up with something I think will work well with us. I am using various curriculums instead of just one for everything. This year for K, I have used HOD Little Hearts for His Glory, but I have added lots to it, so I am choosing not to go with it again for 1st grade. I have found I really enjoy creating my own curriculum... am I crazy??? :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, I thought I would jot down what I have come up with. I would love any opinions, advice, or thoughts in general. Let me know if I am leaving anything out. Please be kind. :001_smile:

Bible: We will use one of our Bibles for stories and memorize different verses each week

Math: Rod & Staff along with Singapore 1A/1B

Reading/Phonics: Hooked on phonics (we are using this now with good success, so I am sticking with it for 1st grade too)

Geography: Rand McNally Schoolhouse Beginning Geography & Map Activities, plus we will have some fun with the "Me on the Map" book by Joan Sweeney

Science: Rod & Staff Nature Science, Christian Kids Explore Earth & Science, and maybe some fun with "The Body Book"

Spelling: Rod & Staff Spelling along with some Spellingcity.com

Handwriting: A Reason for Handwriting A, plus Draw Write Now books

History: American Pioneers & Patriots, Stories of the Pilgrims, and Time Travelers books, along with some Historical figure books by Ingri D'Aulaire

We will also be having fun with the Brainquest workbook for 1st grade too. We have almost completed the Kindergarten one and have enjoyed it a lot.

Thinking Skills: I plan on getting one of the Mind Benders books

We will also do art, music, life skills, and memorization type activities throughout the week.

Ok, that about covers everything. I am so very excited about our 1st grade year and I think it will be a lot of fun, plus lots of great learning happening too. ;)

Alright, bring on those opinions. I am ready! :D

IYou're not crazy in designing your own curriculum. It's what I do too.

This looks great. I'm planning out our 1st grade and it looks very similar.

Hello!

I hope everyone is doing well. I have really been looking into all types of curriculums, books, etc... in order to plan for 1st grade with my son this coming August or September.

I finally came up with something I think will work well with us. I am using various curriculums instead of just one for everything. This year for K, I have used HOD Little Hearts for His Glory, but I have added lots to it, so I am choosing not to go with it again for 1st grade. I have found I really enjoy creating my own curriculum... am I crazy??? :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, I thought I would jot down what I have come up with. I would love any opinions, advice, or thoughts in general. Let me know if I am leaving anything out. Please be kind. :001_smile:

Bible: We will use one of our Bibles for stories and memorize different verses each week

Math: Rod & Staff along with Singapore 1A/1B

Reading/Phonics: Hooked on phonics (we are using this now with good success, so I am sticking with it for 1st grade too)

Geography: Rand McNally Schoolhouse Beginning Geography & Map Activities, plus we will have some fun with the "Me on the Map" book by Joan Sweeney

Science: Rod & Staff Nature Science, Christian Kids Explore Earth & Science, and maybe some fun with "The Body Book"

Spelling: Rod & Staff Spelling along with some Spellingcity.com

Handwriting: A Reason for Handwriting A, plus Draw Write Now books

History: American Pioneers & Patriots, Stories of the Pilgrims, and Time Travelers books, along with some Historical figure books by Ingri D'Aulaire

We will also be having fun with the Brainquest workbook for 1st grade too. We have almost completed the Kindergarten one and have enjoyed it a lot.

Thinking Skills: I plan on getting one of the Mind Benders books

We will also do art, music, life skills, and memorization type activities throughout the week.

Ok, that about covers everything. I am so very excited about our 1st grade year and I think it will be a lot of fun, plus lots of great learning happening too. ;)

Alright, bring on those opinions. I am ready! :D

I also cobble together my materials for homeschooling.

What you have so far looks great. Don't be afraid to drop something or change something along the way. We're only in 2nd grade, but I've already learned that it's better to let something go and find something new, rather than forcing your kids to use something that's just not working.

You'll be able to tell pretty fast if something isn't working!

But, as long as everything works for you, then your plan looks excellent.

Looks great to me! It's fun planning, isn't it? Do you have a weekly schedule? Setting up a weekly schedule really helps me stick to my plan. I have math, Bible, reading etc on all five days of course but on certain days I have Science, Music, character study, etc. My DD7 loves to check off every subject we've completed, she loves knowing exactly how much more we have to do in the day. I break up the heavier subjects with lighter subjects between. For instance, we start with Bible, then math, then journal which is more of a free time, then back into a speed drill or something.

Blessings!

I think it looks good, but I would streamline a little.

You can wait on Mindbenders.

As long as you are not planning on doing BOTH math programs but rather using one and supplementing (not doing all of it) with the other, I think you will be ok.

Same with history--we loved Stories of the Pilgrims! Again, as long as you suspend the other programs while you read this book, or use it as a read aloud for that month (or whatever) and don't add too much, it would be fine,imo.

As far as science goes, are these resources that don't take a whole year to do? (We've done My Body--still have what we made, because it's so cute! It's excellent.) If so, it sounds great.

ITA with putting together your own resources. You can tailor to your child and tweak as needed. I did find, however, that I had a tendency to overschedule and overbuy--hence my "warnings" about doing the same! Don't be afraid to drop what doesn't work, as long as you give it a good go.

Make sure you still leave plenty of time for fun, and relax! :D

I think your selections look great but like others have said, don't be afraid to streamline if you get into it and realize you're spending too much time on school. The only thing I would *add* is PE each day. I want my boys to develop a lifelong habit of physical activity. We ride bikes, jog (even my 5yo can jog a mile), play basketball and jump on the trampoline.

What I'm changing for my second ds who will be in first soon that I didn't do with this older brother:

Informal nature studies - lots of nature walks and keeping a simple nature journal. We have a bird feeder in our backyard and are learning all the birds that visit our backyard. We also have a simple butterfly garden in containers. This past spring we hatched over 20 monarchs and had several other species drop by for visits. That was a blast! A garden is hopefully in our near future as well.

More field trips to learn about our community: police station, fire station, bakery, grocery store, post office and so on. I have found that the people in my community are so happy to share what they do with kids!

It sounds like you have a fantastic year planned!!! Enjoy.

I never liked a single publisher for everything. Most people are the same way, because, frankly, mostly the only way to get everything from a single publisher is if you go with a traditional school publisher like ABeka or BJUP or ACE/CLP/AO or R&S.

So you're in good company.:)

Wow! Thanks so much for all the encouraging responses! : )

I just want to address a few things that were brought up because I simply didn't include a few things in my original post.

We will definitely have a daily/weekly schedule. We will do the math/reading/Bible/handwriting five days a week. We will do History and Science two days a week, and most likely Friday is when we will do our art or possibly some Geography. I plan to school from 8 till 1 daily. That is including a break, lunch, and PE time. It might work or we may have to tweak things as the year goes on. I have found us doing that a LOT this year, so I am prepared for that. ;)

I will be doing music a couple of times a week not only for my son, but my other little ones in my daycare LOVE music time. Lots of fun learning new songs, dancing, etc... Plus, my son is in the children's choir at church on Wednesday evenings, so that is more wonderful music time. : )

Also, there will be PE. My son will have plenty of time to run, play, etc... during the day, but he also will be doing soccer twice a week for spring. Then, in the fall we will be doing basketball. He has done t-ball in the past, but we are branching out a little bit right now to see what he likes best.

As far as all the different books to use... I will not be using everything at once. Most likely with Science, we will begin with R & S. Later, we can move to one of the other books (Earth & Science or Body). If we don't get to all of that for 1st grade, we will just carry it into 2nd grade. I want my son to really get a grasp on what he is learning, so I am not about rushing anything and filling his little head with waaay too much.

Same goes for the History. We will start with one book and then move to others as we can. Geography will not be an everyday thing, but something that I do want him to begin learning.

I looked at Galloping the Globe also, but just decided on the Beginners Geography and map activities for right now as a nice introduction. We will be reading lots of short little books too, not only for reading purposes, but that have an educational flair too.

With math... our main focus is going to be R & S to build a very strong foundation. Singapore is our supplement. We have done Singapore Earlybird 2A/2B and my son is doing well with it. However, I have been throwing in other math along with that to teach him a little more. It has worked well so far.

Again, thank you soooo much for all your wonderful input. I appreciate it greatly. It is also nice to know that there are so many who like to mix and match their curriculums. I don't feel so alone now. :001_smile:

Have a GREAT day!