Menu

What instrument best represents the overall style of the church you attend? (CC)

Yes, completely irrelevant (and possibly irreverant) question this morning. My sister and I walk together in the mornings so we have a lot of time to chat about everything under the sun. This morning we were discussing church styles. (My family is in the process of finding a new church, so this is on our minds...) She was chatting with someone else recently who had a new pastor that didn't quite fit. She said he was a 'violin' preacher at a 'fiddle' church.

Apparently we are easily amused, because we then had to come up with musical instruments to describe the styles of various churches we were acquainted with or attended. We aren't talking theology or denominations, particularly, just the overall style of services, etc.

The church I attended for the past 25 years was probably a brass quartet. The church we've currently been trying out is an electric guitar (gasp). The pastor is (maybe) 30 and is a cross between Jeff Goldblum and Freddie Prinze, Jr. :lol:

DH and I grew up in a pipe organ church and now we go to a Schroeder's toy piano church....Beethoven is there sitting on the piano, but what's coming out sounds like tinny plunking :glare:. We will be looking for another pipe organ church when we move to DC/Virginia this summer. Nothing inherently wrong with what's coming out of the piano, just thin and not as substantive as it could be.

The 8am Mass is acoustic guitar. The choir that can't sing has a guy playing an acoustic. And it is 8am on Sunday morning. Things aren't exactly formal. The reverence is there, just not in a suit and tie.

The 11am Mass is cello. The choir is accompanied by organ or piano. It is very dignified.

DH and I grew up in a pipe organ church and now we go to a Schroeder's toy piano church....Beethoven is there sitting on the piano, but what's coming out sounds like tinny plunking :glare:. We will be looking for another pipe organ church when we move to DC/Virginia this summer. Nothing inherently wrong with what's coming out of the piano, just thin and not as substantive as it could be.

Oh, it would be so hard to go from pipe organ to toy piano. That's tough! (And kinda-sorta what I'm dealing with, so I can sympathize!)

The 8am Mass is acoustic guitar. The choir that can't sing has a guy playing an acoustic. And it is 8am on Sunday morning. Things aren't exactly formal. The reverence is there, just not in a suit and tie.

The 11am Mass is cello. The choir is accompanied by organ or piano. It is very dignified.

Ah, the cello is one of my favorite instruments! Lovely!

Well since we're in Austin, it's an eclectic mix. ;) At Christmas time we had a string quintet one service and a brass quintet another. Most of the time it's more folksy--acoustic guitar, fiddle/violin and the pastor's style matches that. Homey, but eloquent. The music is appropriate to the message being sung--so richer and fuller for some hymns and simpler and more rustic for others. Does that make sense. It fits Austin.

Not a "church" but a similar idea...

My first thought, looking at the title of the thread, was symphony orchestra. Like Paul says, each member has it's own function to the working of the body. Everyone has a place whether they are cellos or picolos or tubas or....

When I tried narrowing it down to ONE instrument, my first thought was drums (again, thinking the denomination or congregation, in our case, worldwide congregation). There are many types and kinda, each with it's own way and working together. And BOOMING. God said he'd make the rocks cry out but he doesn't have to!

But then I saw where you said not the denomination, but the style so I had to think of an individual gathering (or each). This is still true of each place of worship within the denomination, but I had to think of an individual time. That WAY tones us down. I'm thinking the bells. We're quiet, calm, peaceful, inviting, reverent, studious.

Okay, you've given me an excuse to gush. :001_smile: I feel like my church is the entire orchestra, the fullness and richness of music as it was meant to be, the very living, breathing embodiment of music.

Too much, right? :leaving:

That's beautiful. And I feel the same way about my church. :001_smile:

Acoustic guitar with a piano accompaniment. A beautiful accent that does not overpower the congregational voices lifted in worship.

ETA - Maybe I am confused about whether you are asking for what we have literally, or whether you are looking for an instrument as a metaphor? In my case, it's the same either way, except in my metaphor I'd add a hammered dulcimer, which can be both gentle and vibrant, with a nod to the ancient.

Edited by AuntieM

Acoustic guitar with a piano accompaniment. A beautiful accent that does not overpower the congregational voices lifted in worship.

ETA - Maybe I am confused about whether you are asking for what we have literally, or whether you are looking for an instrument as a metaphor? In my case, it's the same either way, except in my metaphor I'd add a hammered dulcimer, which can be both gentle and vibrant, with a nod to the ancient.

I'm talking about using an instrument as a metaphor, but I'm sure it could easily be both literally and metaphorically true.

A gentleman at our previous church played a hammered dulcimer and it sounded *BEAUTIFUL*!!!!!

Guest Virginia Dawn

You know what, I can think of an instrument that symbolizes our congregation, but I can think of a singing group: The Statler Brothers or Randy Travis. What would that be? Guitar, banjo?

We don't use instruments in worship though, just acapella singing.

Right now, our little church is an acoustic guitar, but I'd love to add piano and a little hammered dulcimer.