Menu

Northern California Coasters- are you okay??

no responses yet. hope CA didn't finally fall off the coast. When I lived in CA, people would ask me if I was afraid of the state breaking off.

I was in NoCA for the Loma Prieta earthquake of 1989 and people thought I was crazy to stay. Course I was young & stupid then and just thought it was cool that a piece of Candlestick fell on my friend's head. Hope nobody had any major damage.

YIKES! My aunt is in Eureka!

Early reports state no casualties, some toppled over power poles, shattered glass and broken shelves. There are no tsunami warnings yet.

You can listen live to Humboldt County Radio Feeds. Google "Eureka Earthquake", you can't miss it.

We have just had three little earthquakes in a 2 day period in the Silicon Valley area. I hate it when there are a lot of earthquakes--it always feels like the earth is gearing up for a big one.

I just read on the news that SFO has been experiencing a series of smaller quakes during the last couple of days. Hoping and praying for the best!

I was in NoCA for the Loma Prieta earthquake of 1989 and people thought I was crazy to stay. Course I was young & stupid then and just thought it was cool that a piece of Candlestick fell on my friend's head. Hope nobody had any major damage.

I remember Loma Prieta. My first earthquake - sitting in an upstairs apartment eating dinner with dh as he screams: "Out." I thought he'd gone nuts as he pushed me down the stairs. The water in the community swimming pool splashed onto the lawn area. Gosh, it's been over twenty years now.

I remember Loma Prieta. My first earthquake - sitting in an upstairs apartment eating dinner with dh as he screams: "Out." I thought he'd gone nuts as he pushed me down the stairs. The water in the community swimming pool splashed onto the lawn area. Gosh, it's been over twenty years now.

I'm sure you are mistaken - it cannot have been over twenty years ago because, you see, I was in my early 20's then and I can't possibly be in my 40's now. :tongue_smilie:

I live on the San Andreas Fault line; I mean right on the line. No tremor, no shakes, no rattle or roll. A quiet day of gray clouds and rain. All the major papers have the story though. SF Gate

Are you north or south of SFO? We have relatives just north of SFO. I haven't called yet. This quake was at the northern end of the CA coast where the Mendocino Triple Junction of the St. Andreas fault lies. Hope nobody came to harm!

I'm sure you are mistaken - it cannot have been over twenty years ago because, you see, I was in my early 20's then and I can't possibly be in my 40's now. :tongue_smilie:

I lived on expansive soil in San Jose for that earthquake. One third of the chimneys on my block fell down. But we thought we were lucky because our houses didn't fall.

My cousin lived a mile from the epicenter. All of her dishes and glasses fell out of her cabinets and broke. Their van was parked in the driveway and rolled onto its side. Their little MG bounced all over their garage, and then the garage door fell down onto it. Their wood stove walked all over their great room, bashing holes into every wall. And they had a 4 inch crack in the earth going under their foundation. But they thought they were lucky. On one side their neighbor's house walked off its foundation. On the other side that neighbor's house collapsed.

I remember watching the news. There was a helicopter flying over the bay bridge, which had had a section fall down, but in the background you could see the Cypress structure had collapsed--the commentator had not noticed that, and it was far more serious than the bridge. Quite surreal. Also, there was a strange lack of news from Santa Cruz, so I surmised quite early on that there must have been extensive damage there. One of those times when I was sorry to be right.

Ummm, that would make us about the same age...but we know that can't be right since we are still 29.;)

I lived on expansive soil in San Jose for that earthquake. One third of the chimneys on my block fell down. But we thought we were lucky because our houses didn't fall.

My cousin lived a mile from the epicenter. All of her dishes and glasses fell out of her cabinets and broke. Their van was parked in the driveway and rolled onto its side. Their little MG bounced all over their garage, and then the garage door fell down onto it. Their wood stove walked all over their great room, bashing holes into every wall. And they had a 4 inch crack in the earth going under their foundation. But they thought they were lucky. On one side their neighbor's house walked off its foundation. On the other side that neighbor's house collapsed.

I remember watching the news. There was a helicopter flying over the bay bridge, which had had a section fall down, but in the background you could see the Cypress structure had collapsed--the commentator had not noticed that, and it was far more serious than the bridge. Quite surreal. Also, there was a strange lack of news from Santa Cruz, so I surmised quite early on that there must have been extensive damage there. One of those times when I was sorry to be right.

I was living in Blossom Valley. No damage there, other than some things falling off shelves and some broken windows. My mother was all worried because she said no one was talking about San Jose the way they were about San Francisco and Santa Cruz and even Los Gatos, that San Jose must have been devastated. (I called a friend in SoCal who called my mother in Seattle, because I couldn't get through.)

I lived/ and worked downtown for the Loma Prieta. It was my first earthquake since moving to the Bay Area the year before to go to school. You have never seen someone stuff preschoolers under a picnic table the way I did that day! :D

We were in the theater yesterday watching Avatar when one of the little ones rolled through. I could not figure out how they managed to get the theater to rumble along with the movie!

We like the little ones. Little ones release the built up tension. The little ones remind us to get our emergency kits & plans updated & ready.

I hope everyone in the Eureka area is Ok and having a peaceful evening.

Amber in SJ

Oh, and when I called my mom to let her know I was fine she said,

"I am coming to get you."

I told her she couldn't because all the freeways were closed and she was several hours away on a good day. She told me she didn't care if she had to walk all the way to LA & head north, she was going to come and get me. You see, I was the only one of her babies who had moved away from our tiny town to go to school in the big city, and now something bad had happened and I wasn't in arms reach. I asked to talk to Dad & he said that mom would calm down soon.

I was alone that night in the apt where there was no power and heavy bookcases had fallen across my bed so I couldn't sleep in there. I spent the night on the couch, terrified and calling my mom every few hours to assure her that I was not scared at all.

At the time I thought she was nuts. Now I look at my oldest and think;

"I'd come and get you."

sorry for the OT

Amber in SJ