Menu

Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry

charlotteb

I pre-read everything, and this was fine for our family. We used it as part of Sonlight's Core 4 last year. If you plan on a read-aloud and you can find the book-on-CD version, it's lovely. The voices and accents are very well done. It's "gritty and real" with honest portrails of the ugliness of racism and poverty, so I wouldn't use it for lower grades. Mine were in 4th and 6th grade.

I'd wait on "To Kill a Mockingbird." I dearly love that book, but it's more for high school IMHO.

This is a really, really awesome book.

Note, however, that the language of the times is used, including frequent use of racial epithets. I would absolutely not skip the book over this, but you may want to give some thought as to how you're going to present that rather than being blindsided the first time it comes up.

I just read this last week (again) - I had read it in 6th grade. I think I missed the main points as a 6th grader. The curriculum we use includes it on a recommendation list for grades 4 and up. In my opinion, your 7th grader can get it with a lot of guided discussion. I would not just hand it to a 7th grader to read. I am pretty sure that most 4th graders will not understand the bigger picture/ themes.

I don't know how I missed this as a child, because it is excellent. Even though it's written for youth, the writing is not dumbed down like some stuff for that age group.

I am reading it to my 1st, 4th, 7th, and 8th graders. There is no sexuality, but the other things mentioned in this discussion are there. I explain things, and answer questions as we go along.

It is one of the first family read alouds that has held the attention of my 1st grader.

I loved that book when I did it at school. I think I did it in grade 7, but it wasn't particularly difficult to read and I don't recall any sexual content either. However the racism theme is fairly intense, so it's probably the book equivalent of Parental Guidance recommended.

I just read this last week (again) - I had read it in 6th grade. I think I missed the main points as a 6th grader. The curriculum we use includes it on a recommendation list for grades 4 and up. In my opinion, your 7th grader can get it with a lot of guided discussion. I would not just hand it to a 7th grader to read. I am pretty sure that most 4th graders will not understand the bigger picture/ themes.

We read this in 4th and my ds and I had some great discussions, it was one of the highlights of our year. I have no doubt he grasped the greater theme. I read it probably at about the same age. I think it helps that it is told from a child's viewpoint, I was able to see myself in her shoes.

Just to add a note as well: There are at least two more books in this series, told from Cassie's viewpoint. I would NOT recommend the 2nd book without previewing, it takes a big jump in the issues and would require a greater maturity on the part of the reader. I have not read the 3rd book yet, but it's on my shelf.

So, is there nothing sexually related in the book? I was going to read them "To Kill a Mockingbird", but then I remember that it talked about a supposed rape in it. I didn't want to have that discussion with the kids just yet, kwim?

I first read Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry as a school-assigned book in seventh grade. There is no sexuality in it; however, the first sequel does have a girl who hangs around white boys who does become pregnant from one of them.

So, is there nothing sexually related in the book? I was going to read them "To Kill a Mockingbird", but then I remember that it talked about a supposed rape in it. I didn't want to have that discussion with the kids just yet, kwim?

If you do choose "Roll of Thunder," you will need to have a discussion about lynching. The climax of the book involves quite a bit of violence and the threatened lynching of a 14 year old friend of the protagonist family. It is hinted at all the way through but ends with the white men in town chasing after the kids' school friend, who has been beaten up and otherwise mistreated by 2 white boys.

I guess you just decide which conversation you don't want to have.

Several people have said there is no sexuality, so am I thinking of another book that has 2 little girls being sent home from school because integration was just announced and one almost gets r*ped by a truck of white boys? :confused: If it was a different book I apologize, but I thought when I was previewing this book a few years ago, that I did not read it to my children then because of this issue. They were all under 10.