Menu

s/o Sentence Diagrams...UGH

How important are these anyway? I can't stand them, neither can my daughter and to be honest, no matter how much I look at them I can't make heads nor tales out of them.

Do you do them, skip them or looked at them furtively and pretend you don't see them?

On another note.....any decent, user friendly grammar websites out there?

I love them. It's a visual schematic of a sentence where each little part is all organized and tidy.

Probably projecting my wish for order in my life on a lowly grammar lesson!

:lol:

I think of it like a puzzle to let me know how each word is functioning in a sentence. That way when the student gets a paper back with the word awkward written in the margins they could diagram it and see where they went wrong. KWIM?

I love grammar, I am a big grammar weenie, and I plan never to learn diagramming, so there! :001_tt2:

It was my quest for a challenging grammar program that did not include diagramming that led me to MCT...

Diagramming is a tool, and it sounds like a very useful tool for many, but it's not the only path up the mountain... (oops, mixed metaphor. :tongue_smilie:)

My dd's grammar program included diagramming before this year. She has done very well in the past. This grade level has left diagramming behind and she is not getting the new concepts as well. I think not having the diagramming is a big part of the reason.

I do not feel confident in my own ability to assign diagramming without the answers to check; therefore, I purchased the diagramming practice materials from CLE to supplement this semester.

I feel that it really helps you to understand how the parts of the sentence work together and easily identify which words modify which, etc. Some programs just have you do labeling above the words. How does she do with that?

We love diagramming! Its good, clean fun for the whole fam! (But, I'm a bit of a dork when it comes to that stuff)

I do think its important for writing a readable reports, or any writing, for that matter. It helps to determine if you sentences are actually communicating what you'd like it to. Its also helpful in simple speech and grammar.

(don't judge me on my posts here - I tend to type that which I think, which is definitely NOT always grammatically correct . I really do know how to talk, I'm just comfortable with you all, so I slip :))