Menu

Dinner, anyone?

I find myself NOT wanting to cook or plan or even figure out what's for dinner. Part of that stems from not having planned ahead! At least, I didn't plan ahead for dinner, like I did for schooling.

Part of me just wants to say, "We're eating out!" The other part of me (the part my husband agrees with) says, "It's cheaper to eat at home. There must be SOMEthing I can make."

But honestly, I'd rather just go out to eat so I don't have to worry about it.

Any suggestions for what I should do tonight for dinner?:confused:

Thanks!

I felt like you tonight. I had some thinly-sliced chicken breasts in the freezer, so I started with that. I cut it into bite-size pieces and sauteed it with diced onion, garlic, salt, pepper, parsley and a little balsamic vinagrette. I julienned some baby carrots and chopped some fresh baby spinach and tossed in. Then, I boiled some whole-grain thin spaghetti. When the pasta was tender, I drained and added some butter.

I cooked some frozen peas as well as a side. Then, I opened a can of pineapple slices.

I always keep several whole grain pastas in my pantry and staples like baby carrots, onions, diced garlic in a jar and herbs on hand. I also keep some canned fruit on hand and frozen veggies in my freezer.

Maybe you need a menu planning break. Check out e-mealz.com. I like the points option best, (I've tried the vegetarian and low-fat too).

I agree with your dh. Not only do you save money eating at home, but you consume 30% fewer calories and the food is more nutritious too.

Good luck!

I find myself NOT wanting to cook or plan or even figure out what's for dinner. Part of that stems from not having planned ahead! At least, I didn't plan ahead for dinner, like I did for schooling.

Part of me just wants to say, "We're eating out!" The other part of me (the part my husband agrees with) says, "It's cheaper to eat at home. There must be SOMEthing I can make."

But honestly, I'd rather just go out to eat so I don't have to worry about it.

Any suggestions for what I should do tonight for dinner?:confused:

Thanks!

Yes please. I'd like pizza delivered. I am sitting on my couch with my freshly operated on toe elevated. I will not be cooking tonight. :tongue_smilie:

What about breakfast for dinner? It is always a hit. Add some veggies to an omlette (ok I have no idea how to spell that.) with a couple pieces of toast and call it a night.

Tonight I cooked a "hash." I made biscuits first and stuck them in the oven. Then I nuked potatoes. While the potatoes nuked, I diced onions and ham. Then I cut up the potatoes and fried everything in some olive oil. I had some lettuce to make salad, but ended up skipping that.

Just start simple.

I love to cook, but i also don't think eating good food out of the home frequently is the end of the world. As long as you're eating healthy and can afford it, i think it's fine. The problem is when cheese fires, soda, and fatty entrees are the main foods of your days.

Oh! My kids love soups, and I make a lot of veggie soups and veggie or bean stews with a little meant thrown in for deeper flavor.

There is some great food out there. It can be very satisfying to take control of your family's health this way.

I rarely do complicated food unless we are on vacation or we happen upon a period of time where it's nice to linger. For me, chopping onions , garlic and veggies each night is my meditation. But beyond that I try to keep it manageable. And chopping as meditation is not everyone's cup of tea! lol

I'd start with food your kids like and then tweek them to be healthy, but i wouldn't talk a lot about it. Sliced apples on a plate asyou prepare dinner is interesting to hungry children, some strawberries with some lettuce and shrdedded cheese sticks are all tempting enough at dinner. My kids aslo like bits of shredded chicken tossed onto whole wheat soft tortillas, warmed in a skillet & topped with some shredded cheese and another tortilla. Flip once to warm and blister a little, & cut into triangles like a pizza. These are very 'fastfood' looking and kids might go for it.:lol:

Edited by LibraryLover

You could always devise a simple plan. Perhaps I'll even do this.

Choose one of these each night (and supplement as necessary with side dishes, fruit, salad and/or bread):

breakfast (pancakes, waffles, quiche, etc.)

pasta

meat as main dish (meatloaf, chicken, steak, pork chop, etc).

"child-friendly" (pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc.)

soup or stew

sandwiches (tuna, chicken salad, egg salad, cold cuts, grilled cheese, etc)

potato bar

stir fry with rice