Menu

skiing in 15 degree weather--what to wear?

We're not a skiing family, but our church youth group is going on a ski retreat this weekend. high is in mid-teens.

What the kids wore last year in 40 degree weather won't cut it.

I'd love to hear from experienced winter outdoor sports folks. Can you give me fairly inexpensive ideas for face, hands, feet and where to buy them (store names)?

We have long johns, ski pants, parkas with hoods, water resistant gloves, wool socks. Last year, I had them put wool socks on their foot, a grocery bag over that, and a regular crew sock over that. Someone suggested to me wool gloves under the waterproof gloves. I'm wondering how that would fit. How do you protect the face? We can't afford expensive goggles, but someone said they would need eye protection. Help!

If it were me, I would add a wool sweater and a neck warmer for each person. We get our wool sweaters here from the thrift store for under $10 but you can certainly spend more. My favorite neck warmer is a fleece tube that looks like a hat with the top cut off - because that's what it is, but lots of folks prefer wool. You don't need fancy - just something around the neck you can pull up over your nose and mouth if needed.

We always ski with sunglasses, but I have seen inexpensive snow goggles this year at Walmart that look like sun glasses with an elastic band.

What you have plus a wool sweater and neck warmer is what we ski in all winter - though I draw the line when the temperature drop lower than 5 below zero. Then I stay indoors and drink hot chocolate. Warmer than that and I'm good to go.

oops-forgot, we only use wool mittens here. If you are using waterproof gloves (with fingers) you will want a few of those hand warmer packets that you shake up. You can put them in the glove on the back of your hand if it gets too chilly.

Goggles make a huge difference in windy ski conditions-- it's make or break ski pleasure, imo. You do not need costly goggles for one day. I think we paid about $10 for ours & they lasted a long time. Perhaps you can even rent them? Ski pants, jackets, neck gator, warm layers of socks-- you don't really need plastic bags-- and good water- proof mittens will do fine (mittens keep the fingers warm better than gloves do). Layering with non -cotton long johns will help lots. Keep the head warm. Kids who think they will be comfy skiing without neck gators or ear bands need a wake up call. lol Snow down your neck is not fun. PS I would never let my children ski without helmets. You can get them at the rental area.

Have fun.

Call me a wimp, but I would reschedule. Highs in the midteens, especially if you have the wind chill factor on top of that, is not worth it.

You and me both! However, this is a group trip and everything has been paid for. It's nonrefundable. So if there is a way for them to ski and keep warm enough, I'd like to search that out. I'm also praying for a rise in temperature.

Goggles make a huge difference in windy ski conditions-- it's make or break ski pleasure, imo. You do not need costly goggles for one day. I think we paid about $10 for ours & they lasted a long time. Perhaps you can even rent them? Ski pants, jackets, neck gator, warm layers of socks-- you don't really need plastic bags-- and good water- proof mittens will do fine (mittens keep the fingers warm better than gloves do). Layering with non -cotton long johns will help lots. Keep the head warm. Kids who think they will be comfy skiing without neck gators or ear bands need a wake up call. lol Snow down your neck is not fun. PS I would never let my children ski without helmets. You can get them at the rental area.

Have fun.

Where did you purchase the inexpensive goggles---do you remember?

I think all of our longjohns are cotton. Why is that not a good idea? (I know if cotton gets wet, it stays cold--is that it? I thought maybe under several layers that it wouldn't get wet. What do you do instead of cotton? Silk? Those expensive synthetic blends?

REI is a very good store. We were able to get thin but very warm long underwear and gloves that go under your waterproof ones. The clothing has a temperature range on the tag so you know which clothes are best for which temperatures.

Good. We have an REI nearby. I'll be heading over there today, $$ in hand, I guess.

(Yes, the following sentence is very long. Please remember that you should read it very quickly and with only one breath!)

I would start with slip-on shoes so I could get through the airport security without having to slow down to tie my shoes because I would be on my way to a beach where I would wear a one-piece suit with sunscreen. But, this is just me!!! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

You have great advice from the other ladies/gents on here. Have fun!

Where did you purchase the inexpensive goggles---do you remember?

I think all of our longjohns are cotton. Why is that not a good idea? (I know if cotton gets wet, it stays cold--is that it? I thought maybe under several layers that it wouldn't get wet. What do you do instead of cotton? Silk? Those expensive synthetic blends?

You can get long underwear at Target - it's made by the cuddle duds brand for target. I'm not sure what they're made of but I know they are warmer than my 100% cotton ones. I think they were $12/piece.

Don't give up on the weekend! We've skied down to -20F (although I readily admit we went in for hot cocoa after every 2nd run!) With the cold we're having the humidity is also way down so it doesn't really feel that cold (I was out this morning walking in 25F and was fine with just a jacket).

- I assume everyone will wear helmets, which don't accomodate ski hats, but a balaclava (one of those thin silky hoods that go over your head and part of your face) works great with them. And make sure the vents on the helment are closed.

- A fleecy neck warmer big enough to pull up over the chin.

- Goggles, not sunglasses, are a must for keeping the sinus area warm.

- Long underwear as others have said, the higher rated the better.

- Fleece tops - warmer and less bulky than wool so it's easier to double up - we usually have a fleece vest over or under a fleece jacket when it is cold.

- Handwarmers - little packets with a chemical that stays warm for several hours after you open it. They go in your gloves and can even go in your boots.

- Wool or spcial thermal socks.

Go. Have fun. Take cocoa breaks. I'm jealous!

Don't give up on the weekend! We've skied down to -20F (although I readily admit we went in for hot cocoa after every 2nd run!) With the cold we're having the humidity is also way down so it doesn't really feel that cold (I was out this morning walking in 25F and was fine with just a jacket).

- I assume everyone will wear helmets, which don't accomodate ski hats, but a balaclava (one of those thin silky hoods that go over your head and part of your face) works great with them. And make sure the vents on the helment are closed.

- A fleecy neck warmer big enough to pull up over the chin.

- Goggles, not sunglasses, are a must for keeping the sinus area warm.

- Long underwear as others have said, the higher rated the better.

- Fleece tops - warmer and less bulky than wool so it's easier to double up - we usually have a fleece vest over or under a fleece jacket when it is cold.

- Handwarmers - little packets with a chemical that stays warm for several hours after you open it. They go in your gloves and can even go in your boots.

- Wool or spcial thermal socks.

Go. Have fun. Take cocoa breaks. I'm jealous!

I'm glad to hear that you can ski when it's -20 and survive! That makes me feel better about midteens.

We have wool socks. Would you wear 2 pairs or just one?

Any advice on buying goggles? We can't afford big bucks. This ski trip itself has already been straining our budget. I don't think our Walmart carries them (as a pp suggested) as we aren't in a ski area. What to look for? Any brands to avoid?

I need to check about the helmets. The youth group did all the reserving of equipment and I don't recall hearing about that.

Edited by Laurie4b

(Yes, the following sentence is very long. Please remember that you should read it very quickly and with only one breath!)

I would start with slip-on shoes so I could get through the airport security without having to slow down to tie my shoes because I would be on my way to a beach where I would wear a one-piece suit with sunscreen. But, this is just me!!! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

You have great advice from the other ladies/gents on here. Have fun!

:001_smile:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007ZF4PE?&tag=shopwiki-us-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325 My family doesn't use them but people we ski with use these. Better ski wear helps to keep us warm: socks, masks, gloves, coat, pants, etc.

We wear helmet, googles and full face mask or neck warmer pulled up to cover the areas not covered by the google/helmet. Some people cover the face with Pet. jelly/vaseline to keep heat in. We have expensive gloves that have an inner/outer glove.

The ski shop owner told us we were better off with thin smartwool ski socks (up to knees) in our ski boots because they keeps the feet warmer, thick socks prevent air circulation.

15 degrees is not that cold if there is very little wind and full sun. If there is wind and no sun - it's COLD! The length of the lift/trail ratio also effects your body temperature. If the lift is shorter then you don't have the downtime of sitting and not moving to keep warm.

We are going on a ski trip Friday and the temp is supposed to be around 0. We will dress in layers, with baclavas under helmets, and probably hand warmers in our gloves. Once you are out and active, you really warm up. It is the exposed parts that usually get chilled and and are uncomfortable. We'll make sure to have cocoa at the chalet, but otherwise, the kids usually do fine and really enjoy it. Again, layers make a huge difference.

Getting polyester long underwear will help. We get ours from Target. The reason the cotton long underwear will get wet is that the kids really will sweat! Skiing is hard work. Once the cotton is wet it will get cold and will not dry. I've always been told only one wool layer on the feet and we ski out west where it gets pretty cold. Too much will reduce circulation to the feet. Also, an instuctor told me that keeping the core warm will help everything else stay warm, so a fleece vest can add warmth without too much bulk. A fleece neck gator is also a must. Do you know anyone else who skis? Could you borrow goggles from them? If you use hand warmers, put them on the top(back) of the hand, it warms the blood as it moves out to the fingers and doesn't get in the way.

Have fun! 16 days until we head to Steamboat! Woo hoo!!!!!

Getting polyester long underwear will help. We get ours from Target. The reason the cotton long underwear will get wet is that the kids really will sweat! Skiing is hard work. Once the cotton is wet it will get cold and will not dry. I've always been told only one wool layer on the feet and we ski out west where it gets pretty cold. Too much will reduce circulation to the feet. Also, an instuctor told me that keeping the core warm will help everything else stay warm, so a fleece vest can add warmth without too much bulk. A fleece neck gator is also a must. Do you know anyone else who skis? Could you borrow goggles from them? If you use hand warmers, put them on the top(back) of the hand, it warms the blood as it moves out to the fingers and doesn't get in the way.

Have fun! 16 days until we head to Steamboat! Woo hoo!!!!!

Thanks for the explanation of the underwear issue, and for an answer to the wool socks issue! I know one couple who ski, but I've got 4 going on this ski trip. :scared: So all expenses x 4!