Menu

Do you think or know that using your dishwasher saves

water, gas and/ or electricity? While cleaning the kitchen the other day dh says that we should start using the dishwasher instead of handwashing the dishes, that it would save $$.

I do not think it is pointless, when I am using the water to rinse the dishes to put in the dishwasher to wash them and I do not put my pots and pans in the dishwasher because certain ones will end up rusting..I don't know why.

What's your thoughts on this??

Using a dishwasher uses much less water than hand washing. BUT, *I* rinse mine totally using a brush because if all of the debris is not removed from our dishes it will be "cooked" on by the dishwasher and it's REALLY hard to remove after that. I use the dishwasher more as a dish sanitizer. There are some items that just don't fit, and some that are just not dishwasher safe (I handwash all non-stick pans to extend the life of them, and my cookie sheets get rusted on the bottom of the edges if I put them in the dishwasher).

Do you actually need to rinse your dishes? My mother-in-law does this and believes it to be necessary, but I think she's remembering early, inefficient dishwashers. The ones I have used in the last ten years did fine with scraped plates.

Just an idea...

Laura

I have no idea if it saves, but it saves my sanity. Before last summer, I did not have a dishwasher, I was the dishwasher, we moved into a larger house last summer and one request I had was a dishwasher! I do not wash dishes before I put them in the dishwasher (and this house has a 20+ year old dishwasher) I think it's pointless to wash dishes that the dishwasher is going to wash. Dh used to gripe, but then his mom said that dishes need something on them so the dish detergent can work, and he quit nagging me. I also like the fact that the dishwasher gets hotter than what I could wash with, so the dishes are sanitized. That there is enough for me to want to use it. From studies I have read, they do save water.

Kristine

What type/brand of dishwasher do you have? We've always lived in rentals or military housing, and if so much as one fork doesn't get scrubbed before going in, we'll have residue on our bowls (black bean skins, oatmeal grit, rice grit, etc.). Thus, IMO, the dishes are "clean", LOL. I think (okay, I *know*) that different people have different definitions of clean, and that said grit may not offend others- they may just wipe it off and consider the dish clean. My MIL did a load of dishes with one of our dc's sippy cups in the load, she didn't rinse a thing- just scraped the majority of the food off the dishes. When the load was finished there were a few whole beans in the silverware basket. I was :ack2: but then she just said, "look, a clean bean!". :001_huh:

I am not a "neat freak", but I am a "clean freak", :D So, for those of you who claim that dishes do not need to be rinsed or scrubbed before loading, do you find bits of food left on your dishes after the dishwasher runs? :)

So, for those of you who claim that dishes do not need to be rinsed or scrubbed before loading, do you find bits of food left on your dishes after the dishwasher runs? :)

No, I never find cooked on food, grit, or bits of food anywhere when the load is done. I only scrape my plates. The only thing I bother to rinse off are tomato products: ketchup, spaghetti sauce. Those will stain plasticware.

But, no. I never, ever have a problem. My dishes are always sparkling clean.

If I feel a load is particularly grungy, and might pose a problem, I run the "rinse only" setting first. Then I wash as normal.

I use Cascade Complete. Perhaps that makes a difference.

So, for those of you who claim that dishes do not need to be rinsed or scrubbed before loading, do you find bits of food left on your dishes after the dishwasher runs? :)

Rarely. If it's something extra dirty, or baked on, it's usually worth completely hand washing, but otherwise we don't rinse. I have read in several places that the dishwasher is more energy efficient as long as you don't pre-rinse, but if you're rinsing anyway it's better to just hand-wash. I guess you could still use the end of your dishwasher cycle as a sanitizing measure, though.

Do you think or know that using your dishwasher saves water, gas and/ or electricity? What's your thoughts on this??

I do believe that using my dishwasher saves water and gas. Washing all those dishes by hand would use gallons more water than putting scraped plates in the dishwasher. (I don't clean the dishes and then stick them in the dishwasher!:blink:) All that hot water needed to hand-wash dishes would use more gas for my water heater.

Okay, *I* would pre-rinse *my* dishes even if I were going to hand wash them, because *I* can't stand sticking my hands into nasty icky chunk floaty vomit colored water. :D So, for *me*, it's still saving water/energy to use the dishwasher.

Same here, and I change the water immediately if it becomes oily, cold, or dirty. My dishwasher saves me a ton of water and electricity, I'm sure.

We did an experiment last year and washing the dishes by hand was cheaper than using the dishwasher, but it was an experiment, and after 3 mos, I stopped it.

I rinse dishes that have starchy residue on them (rice, cereal, or pasta). Glasses and stuff, I don't have problems with. If the food is baked on, that soaks and then I just wash it by hand.

I am not a "neat freak", but I am a "clean freak", :D So, for those of you who claim that dishes do not need to be rinsed or scrubbed before loading, do you find bits of food left on your dishes after the dishwasher runs? :)

I've found two things make a difference - your dishwasher, and the detergent. You definitely get what you pay for with detergent. I have just stuck with Cascade, which seems to work best.

Your dishwasher will make a huge difference. The dishwasher at our old house (lower end model, about 10 years old) is just like you described. If I didn't rinse off everything, there would be little pieces of crud on the dishes. Yuck. My new dishwasher is completely different, although I still do rinse some dishes (old habits die hard). :rolleyes:

I have one of the most energy/water efficient dishwashers on the market and when it broke, I learned, to my dismay, that despite it's energy efficient claims, we use less energy and water washing by hand. Both our water and electric bills went down. I used to run the dishwasher twice a day. We now wash dishes once a day, using about a sink full of water: half full on the wash side, half full on the rinse side. I also use a sink full or so of water to soak dirty dishes.

When I used the dishwasher, I did not need to rinse the dishes first and I rarely had anything that had to be scrubbed or washed by hand.

Now, one reason why we are using less water/energy washing by hand is because we are using fewer dishes. Everyone has a cup with their name on it and I wash those ONCE a day. When we had the dishwasher, cups would get used, and get put in the dishwasher so we were often running the dishwasher just to wash all those cups.

Susan in TX

I make a purpose to only run my dishwasher once a day. I use Cascade or Electrosol packets when I get them free (sometimes that paper has coupons for a free box)

I scrape, but do not rinse, I don't leave whole beans on :tongue_smilie: so there's never any food left behind. I have left stuff sit in the dishwasher for overnight and have not had any problems with them coming out clean. I have an older dishwasher, GE PotScrubber, I don't really like it, but it works and gets my dishes clean. It's not the quietest by far. I actually can't wait to get a new dishwasher, but not until this one dies. I could care less if it is more to run. I do other things like hang our clothes to dry. Anything you do costs money, some things are worth paying more for than others.

Kristine

LOL, that's what I thought. So, what is the brand/model of your new dishwasher? And do you use liquid or powder or those ball things? I use liquid Cascade, and have for years.

I use powdered Cascade, mainly because I don't like dealing with the liquid.

Our new dishwasher is a Kenmore. It's not a high-end model, about middle of the road. Not perfect, but definitely does a better job than my old Hotpoint.

I own a Maytag and use Cascade powder and my dishes come out clean. We only scrape off what we can and don't rinse. I can put a bowl in that has 3 day dried on oatmeal in it, and it comes clean. The only thing mine doesn't seem to like to clean is egg.

I just watched a show about this the other day and it said if you have a full load of dishes, your better off washing them in the dishwasher to save on water.

I have a Whirlpool that is about five to seven years old. Definitely high-end when bought by the previous owner of our home. It has a gazillion settings. My dishes get sparkling clean just on normal. There are two settings higher than that.

I use Cascade complete powder, not liquid. I don't know if that makes a difference.

I only run my dishwasher once a day. We don't go around picking out new glasses all day long.

And I load the dishwasher properly. Just because something is in there doesn't mean it's going to get clean. Those jets of water have to be able to reach it. Cramming the sucker full just to say you've got everything in the dishwasher only creates more work in the end. I have this problem with both my dh and my stepmother (when she visits). They cram things in without thought to whether the water jets can even reach the dirty part of the dish.

I hope that helps.

We have a Bosch. No need to rinse first; it gets everything very clean.

Older, cheaper dishwashers are the ones that don't get dishes clean unless you pre-rinse.

We have a Bosch too, and it's wonderful. I can seriously stuff it to the gills with un-rinsed dishes and they come out sparkly. The only thing it ever has trouble with is when rice gets stuck to the pan (you really do have to scrape off the rice first... it's not that soluble... LOL) or the thin film of scrambled egg cooked onto the end of the spatula, which I have to scrub first. Everything else goes in as-is and comes out perfect. I've not noticed that the brand of detergent makes a bit of difference so I buy whatever's cheap.

And when we bought the Bosch (replacing an old GE), our water bill dropped dramatically. We run it once almost every day.

is great. It is a Kitchen Aid and it is the first dish washer that I dont have to wash the dishes before I wash the dishes. :tongue_smilie: It has a disposal in it so the chunks get ground up and washed away. The only time things go awry is if it isn't loaded properly. It came with a DVD to show you how to load it. I also use cascade complete and rinse agent per the manufacturer's suggestion.

I don't know if washing dishes by hand saves money or not -- and I don't care. It takes too much time and my kitchen isn't set up for it (single sink).

I wash my pots and pans and utensils by hand because I always have and because they won't fit into the dishwasher anyway.

I have a 6 mos. old Bosch dw, use Cascade, & scrape plates.

I use my dishwasher because I don't have the time to wash dishes every day. I could have DSS do them, but he takes 2 hours and wastes a lot of water and gas doing so. The dishwasher saves me time because I'm not doing them myself, and saves water, gas, and stress because DSS isn't doing them. I call that a win even if it does take more $$ to run that my own frugal dish-washing ways.

I have a Whirlpool that's about 7 years old, I scrape (but don't pre-rinse anything unless it's egg-based, starchy, or tomato-based,) and I use the Cascade ActionPacs. The only things that don't go in the dishwasher are my large airbake cookie sheets and Dh's cast-iron fry pans and dutch oven. I make sure everything else I buy is dishwasher safe. :D