Menu

Shy to ask but where do I get....

I'd call the church office of the church you have been attending and ask if they have any for parishioners or if they can recommend somewhere. I often see bibles at Good Will or other thrift stores and always at used book stores, so unless you want a specific type of bible, or leather cover or something, they are not expensive at all. I got a really nice bible that is my favorite I have ever owned at a Good Will in town. It had print that extends all the way across the page rather than two columns.

a Bible. weve been going to church and praying and ive been reading and re=reading power of a praying wife. I need a bible though. Do i go to a bookstore? are they expenisive? Id like to start reading it and REALLY understandnig. thanks

Since you are Catholic, you need a Catholic Bible, which is one with an imprimatur. I read the Douay-Rheims Bible, which you can buy from amazon. If you want a local store, ask your priest for the local Catholic bookstore in the area. Catholic Bibles are different from Protestant Bibles such as the King James Version or NIV Bibles.

If you are looking for a bible, I'd recommend the Navarre bible. It's expensive when new, but you can buy a used copy very affordably. Otherwise, any Catholic bible on Amazon should work. You may find a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church helpful.

A great forum that addresses Catholic living and homeschooling is 4reallearning.

Hope this helps. :001_smile:

I saw a few on paperbackswap.com if you are a member there - I just searched for "catholic bible" and several versions of the New American Bible came up (I believe that is the one they take the readings from? I should know this! :001_huh:)

There are versions online also:

http://www.catholic.org/bible/ (New Jerusalem version)

http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/index.shtml (New American version)

http://www.drbo.org/ (Douay Rheims version)

...and plenty more.

I did find a New American Bible at Goodwill just last week.

The very easiest translation to read is the New Living Translation.

Some others that are very user friendly are the New International Version and the Revised Standard Version.

The most difficult one is the King James, though I find that I loooove the old-fashioned English. It's not what I read every day, though.

When you go shopping for a Bible, open a couple versions to the same passage (like John 3, for example) and just read them. Buy the one that seems most understandable to you.

I am also going to recommend Peter Kreeft's You Can Understand the Bible as a BIG help in getting you started.

The New American is what they read at most Masses now. The Revised Standard Version is a little nicer, IMO. I am reading through My Daily Catholic Bible, which is RSV, and I like it a lot. It breaks the Bible up into 20 minute readings for the whole year. You should definitely look for a Catholic Bible so that you are getting all of Sacred Scripture.

You can also go to EWTN.com and read the Daily Mass Readings there, which will take you through the Bible in 3 years.

Best Wishes!

The very easiest translation to read is the New Living Translation.

Some others that are very user friendly are the New International Version and the Revised Standard Version.

The most difficult one is the King James, though I find that I loooove the old-fashioned English. It's not what I read every day, though.

When you go shopping for a Bible, open a couple versions to the same passage (like John 3, for example) and just read them. Buy the one that seems most understandable to you.

Love the New Living Translation (I am a former editor who had to work from all different versions)!