Menu

New years day traditions.....help me start one please

We live in the US at the moment and where we are originally from it is summer time in January. We used to spend our days at the beach with extended family eating copious amounts of cold meats, BBQ and fruit.

Here in NC we have no family around us, DH and I have two kids under 6 and would like to start a New-years day tradition, but I am having trouble thinking of something to do with them.

What are some of your traditions or please make suggestions for us.

Thanks!

I get them sparkling cider and let them drink it out of fancy cordial glasses. They think this is super fun.

I bought some non-year specific New Year's hats & tiaras and noisemakers (although I do have to get some new noisemakers!) and save them for each New Year's.

There are traditional foods in different parts of the US: Black Eyed Peas, Pork & Sauerkraut, etc. We have the BEP on New Year's Eve and the Pork & Sauerkraut on New Year's Day and lots of appetizers are available all day so I don't have to cook much ;) because we always, always watch college football on New Year's Day. But we watch lots of college football all fall long ;) This year we'll watch the Rose Parade because my parents are going! Maybe we'll see them!

How about something related to change? Write down (or draw) something you have done that you don't want to do any more (think of a negative to purge from your life). Burn those in a nice toasty fire while sipping hot cocoa.

Think of one thing each that you want to do/learn/explore in this new year. Or make this a family goal for the year - my kids want a monthly cookie day (focus of the whole day is making lots of cookies and listening to lots of music, like we do before Christmas). So we have started to make a list of the cookies they want to make, and will add to it through the year. We are putting it on the calendar - so I'm accountable as well.

Our dc thought this one up as they grew up and learned more about the world. They make "predictions" at the start of every new year. These predictions can be about anything from personal things to family things to neighborhood things to political things, etc. It's all up for grabs.

They write them down every year, and pull out the old ones and laugh about them before writing up the new ones. They even try to see who got the most "correct". It's all in fun, of course. None of us can predict much of anything here. :001_smile:

I've never been energetic or organized enough to pull this off, but I've always thought it would be a fun idea to go through all of our pictures from the previous year and sort of do a "year in review" movie or photo browsing time. Laugh at silly pictures and say "hey, remember when...." Sometimes it's nice to see all that you did or accomplished in the past year.

Or you could just concentrate on all you accomplished last year. Make up little certificates and have a family ceremony. My son learned to read this year, so that could be his big accomplishment, for instance. Might be fun to save them and look back through the years.

I like the ideas about setting goals for the coming year too.

I've never been energetic or organized enough to pull this off, but I've always thought it would be a fun idea to go through all of our pictures from the previous year and sort of do a "year in review" movie or photo browsing time. Laugh at silly pictures and say "hey, remember when...." Sometimes it's nice to see all that you did or accomplished in the past year.

Or you could just concentrate on all you accomplished last year. Make up little certificates and have a family ceremony. My son learned to read this year, so that could be his big accomplishment, for instance. Might be fun to save them and look back through the years.

I like the ideas about setting goals for the coming year too.

The photo's are a great idea, but I think I will wait till the girls are older and can help me put things together. This does give me a great idea though. Dh has a projector and we have loads of digital family movies and pictures on his computer so I think a nice family evening of looking at all our movies and pictures will be fun.

Setting goals for the family sounds like fun and maybe take the cookie idea and try new recipes together.

Thanks, I love all the ideas!

We live in the US at the moment and where we are originally from it is summer time in January. We used to spend our days at the beach with extended family eating copious amounts of cold meats, BBQ and fruit.

Here in NC we have no family around us, DH and I have two kids under 6 and would like to start a New-years day tradition, but I am having trouble thinking of something to do with them.

What are some of your traditions or please make suggestions for us.

Thanks!

Well since you are now in the South, the tradition is to serve cornbread, blackeyed peas, and greens on New Year's Day. I love that meal, but we'll be traveling 'up North" !

When I was a kid we'd play games until late and then we would go outside and bang pots and pans to celebrate at midnight. It was great fun!

usually we watch the rosebowl. this year, we're going camping :001_smile:.

ann

Oh this made me laugh out loud. My kids have been asking about going camping lately and we have a foot of snow on the ground with more expected. I'm guessing you probably live south. :001_smile:

Our traditional New Years day breakfast is chocolate cake, green scrambled eggs and ham. The kids look forward to it and it's EASY! We usually watch the Rose Parade and then take down the Christmas decorations while watching various other football games on t.v. and sharing tortilla chips, salsa, con queso, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

We began a new New Year's Tradition this year. Dc all load up some of our guns and go outside and fire them off at midnight. (We live in the sticks. And I'm usually asleep at midnight. Not this year though.)

Ds said he heard guns firing off all over the place this year. Not just ours. One neighbor fired his for 15-20 minutes.

Got the idea from my parents. A retired New Yorker moved next door to them and he used to get drunk every New Year's and go outside and fire his guns off ... in their subdivision, no less. :001_huh: We don't do the drunk part though. :)