Menu

Sad today

Tomorrow will be our first family Christmas celebration since my Dad died in August. I have been having a really hard time getting into the Christmas spirit this year. My children are feeling it as well. My relationship with my Dad was always very complicated and his death has hit me a lot harder than I thought it would. It just hurts - a lot. I know there is nothing to be done but I just needed to get it out before I crumble. I am the one that ends up being the emotional rock of my family and sometimes I need a shoulder too. Thanks.

My father died a week ago yesterday. I'm so sad. It's sort of a surprise how sad I am, since a lot of him was lost to me along the way because of Alzheimer's Disease. But even though I wasn't left with his best, youngest self, I honestly miss my demented, disabled father so so so so much. I don't really know what to do with myself, even though from the outside it would appear that I have a LOT to do if I want to get my life together. I want to go sit with him.

I am supposed to pick his cremains up tomorrow. Christmas Eve. My heart goes out to you.

Dana

I'm so sorry for all of you who have lost loved ones this year. My dad is oxygen dependent and ailing. Every year I recognize how truly blessed I am to have him with us. I think I needed the reality check this year as I was really feeling down about all of our troubles right now. I'll go hug my dadda and think of all of you who can't and say a prayer of peace for you. Thank you.

Thanks everyone. I am sorry to hear that so many of you have experienced this kind of loss this year (or at all). We lost my FIL, to whom I was extremely close, almost 4 years ago. I still feel that loss (I am wearing his flannel shirt as I type this) every day but this with my Dad is hitting me in a different way as I just have this feeling like something inside me is missing. I also hate that my girls do not have either of the grandfathers growing up. My father's Dad died before I was born and my mother's when I was 10 so I know how they feel. I think it will help to be with my family today. I hope all of you can find comfort as well. :grouphug::grouphug:

I lost my mom in June, and I completely understand what you mean...and how you're feeling. I still cry almost every day, and the holidays have brought such an overwhelming sense of sadness. There's something about Christmas with both of my parents missing that just brings the grief to the forefront.

It's the little things that I haven't done this year. Our decorations aren't really complete (though I guess since it's Christmas Eve they're as done as they're going to get!). I haven't gotten the Christmas dishes out of the cabinet yet, something I usually do by the day after Thanksgiving.

It's hard. Losing a parent is mind-boggling hard.

:grouphug:

I'm so sorry :grouphug: I was there a couple years ago myself with my own dad, and our very complicated relationship. This is another year of loss for our family with my beloved grandfather. You know what has helped a lot? Changing some of our holiday traditions. Sometimes traditions bring comfort, but sometimes they're just painful reminders of the person who is no longer with us. Even if you change just a few small things, it can really help. I also gave up sappy holiday movies. It's A Wonderful Life was my favorite, but i can't watch it anymore. Now I watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. I find humor to be very healing.