Menu

Would you do LOF Fractions, Dec, & Percents or Pre-Alg?

Mommy7

Now that the new book is out, I'm wondering which would be best. I am wanting to strengthen dd's skills in fractions, decimals, and percents. She will be using LOF alongside TT Pre-Algebra.

Which do you think fits the bill best? I thought about doing Fractions, Dec & Percents first; then followed by Pre-Algebra. Would that work or way too much repetition????

I love the idea of doing all 3. By the time we finish Fractions, Decimals, and Percents, we will probably be finished with TT Pre-Alg. I guess, we would be doing it a year behind that way. Probably not too bad of an idea.

So during Alg I, we'll be doing LOF Pre-Alg., After Alg II, LOF Beginning Algebra...and so on. What do you think of that?

I'm just having a hard time figuring out how long it will all take. Maybe I just shouldn't worry about it and just go to the next one when we finish one.

Hmmmm.

Melora and Homeschoolally, are you using LOF as a supplement or as your main text?

The first two books cover more than just fractions, decimals and percents. Most notably, much care is spent in introducing and eventually applying the concepts of functions and inverse functions.

I love the idea of doing all 3. By the time we finish Fractions, Decimals, and Percents, we will probably be finished with TT Pre-Alg. I guess, we would be doing it a year behind that way. Probably not too bad of an idea. So during Alg I, we'll be doing LOF Pre-Alg., After Alg II, LOF Beginning Algebra...and so on. What do you think of that?

I think that would line up pretty well actually. We're currently doing LoF Fractions and Decimals/Percents during the school year along with TT Prealgebra, then we'll do LoF Prealgebra during the summer, and probably start TT Alg I as we're finishing up LoF.

Jackie

We use it as a supplement now, previously Saxon now Lials BCM. We are doing Pre-Alg now and should be ready for Alg this summer.

I'm planning to try it as our spine with Beginning Algebra because of the companion text. I hope that with LOF and some SAT prep we can cover all our math-- I have high hopes because ds really loves Fred!!!

I am using it as a supplement to Singapore. Ds is in PM5 now. When he is through Primary Math 6, I'm pretty sure we will keep going with NEM and supplementing with Fred.

Sorry to hijack, but when did you start using LOF? I'm thinking that we will use LOF along with Singapore as we move one and I'm wondering when we should begin. Thanks :)!

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to hijack, but when did you start using LOF? I'm thinking that we will use LOF along with Singapore as we move one and I'm wondering when we should begin. Thanks :)!

I'd like to know too. I'm using MEP with First Lessons in Arithmetic from Don Potter's site and I wanted to know if there is an age to start LOF?

I have to say that the only thing (well one thing) I don't like is the answer key part... straight in the book... No way to take it out... I would have preferred to have it with me... and then grade everything. For my daughter... it was just too easy to get help from the answers. SO, If I was going to do it again, I'd read and do everything with her. But.. the stories are cute:-)

Carrie

After SM 4A; he's nine. We are doing it one lesson a week as a fun supplement/review.

Laura

I use it in the summers rather than mixing it in during the year - we did LOF Fractions after 4a/b, LOF Dec/Percents after 5a/b and will probably do the Pre-Alg/Bio book this summer after 6a/b.

I use it in the summers rather than mixing it in during the year - we did LOF Fractions after 4a/b, LOF Dec/Percents after 5a/b and will probably do the Pre-Alg/Bio book this summer after 6a/b.

Thanks also! We live overseas and when we go back to the States in November, I'm planning on buying the curricula that I know we will use for the next two years. So this helps me to know whether or not to get LOF and which ones to get :).