Menu

how to define "red meat"

I know it's beef. But is it anything else? I have to redo a medical test an can't eat red meat for 2 days prior or during the test, which could take up to 3 days. I can re-figure our dinners for the next several days. Is venison considered red meat? That's the only one I'm not sure of.

My ds who has bad reactions to beef also reacts to venison.

The USDA considers ostrich, emu, and bison red meat. Goat, lamb, and pork are not.

Goat and lamb are both red enough, and lamb is certainly high fat. I wonder what forces come into play in making these definitions.

Laura

Goat and lamb are both red enough, and lamb is certainly high fat. I wonder what forces come into play in making these definitions.

Laura

From wiki:
Gastronomy

In gastronomy, red meat is darker-colored meat, as contrasted with white meat. The exact definition varies by time, place, and culture, but the meat of adult mammals such as cows, sheep, and horses is invariably considered red, while chicken and rabbit are invariably considered white. The meat of young mammals such as milk-fed veal calves and sheep, and pigs is traditionally considered white; while the meat of duck and goose is considered red,[1] though the demarcation line has been shifting. Game is sometimes put in a separate category altogether (French viandes noires 'black meats').[2]

Myoglobin concentration

The main determinant of the color of meat is the concentration of myoglobin. The white meat of chicken has under 0.05%; chicken thigh has 0.18-0.20%; pork and veal have 0.1-0.3%; young beef has 0.4-1.0%; and old beef has 1.5-2.0%.[4]