-Markers

-Pencils

-Paper

-Colored pencils

-Paint

-Stickers

-Glue

-Safety scissors

-Binder (to keep drawings and such together)

-3 hole punch

Goals:

• Teach Little Miss to count to 100 and to write numbers to 100
  • Teach Little Miss her ABCs and to write her letters
  • Teach Little Miss basic Christ-like qualities (patience, forgiveness, etc)
  • Teach colors, sorting, shapes and same/differences
  • Teach basic math concepts—time, money (recognition), etc
  • Begin learning simple etiquette—i.e. how to set the table, say excuse me after bodily functions, etc
  • Introduction to science—i.e. making play-dough, helping me cook, etc
  • Introduction to art and music--i.e. listening to various types of music (using Putyamaya cds) and different art mediums (colored pencils, paint, crayons, etc)

Does this sound like too much, not enough. This is to cover 3 years (ages 2-5 roughly)

I think reading aloud a lot is the most important thing, which I'm sure you're planning, but you'll find that you meet a lot of those goals through reading to her a lot. And those things happen pretty easily just through living and exploring and talking, so I don't think your goals are unreasonable.

Preschool age is a ton of fun!

I think this looks like a great outline of what to accomplish by five. I agree that reading aloud is very important. Also, on counting to 100, have you thought about skip counting? My 4 and 5 year old get really bored counting to 100 by ones, so counting by 5s and 10s was an exciting change for them. LOL

Sounds like a good plan. I too would wait on writing to 100,and read tons of books. Slow and Steady is a good resource, and another one we have enjoyed is Five in a Row. Or look here and get tons of free activities to go with the books you read. http://www.homeschoolshare.com Hope this helps, I remember when I had 1 and was just starting out, it was exciting to see all they could learn. Oh, I do not know when you plan to teach reading, but check out Reading Made Easy by Valerie Bendt. I have used it for years and really like it.

http://www.mostlymommies.com/games.html

Lots and lots of free online resources/games to supplement :)

Also, I'll try to find the link, but there are some concepts (top, middle, bottom; right and left; over, under; on top; among others) that are missing. Also, at about four or so, you may want to go over your dc's full name and spelling (they should be able to identify it as their name), their address (we haven't done this, but I saw it on a pre-k checklist) and (if you have one) their home phone number.

I would not put too much emphasis on writing, versus identifying. Writing can be so very frustrating and some children don't come to that level of motor skill until first grade or so. I'm just saying this so that YOU don't start to get frustrated. I have found that writing the numbers on index cards with dots where you would start writing and having ds trace them with his finger is especially helpful, soon I hope to do the same for the alphabet.

One thing I have noticed is that ds has learned nearly everything he needs to know before K just from reading with me. All of the concepts I mentioned have been covered in the books we've read and stealthily entered his language and understanding. Reading is key!

Really, only one more thing :p For my youngest, we pick out one math book, one concepts book, one science book, one rhyming or poetry book, and one book on the present season, every week when we go to the library. He usually chooses a ton of other books as well, but I've found that he is learning consistently through that little formula ;) Even those weeks that I have utterly slacked off on teaching him.

It sounds wonderful! Congratulations! :hurray: :party:

I was going to say what a PP said about the #'s. Don't be disappointed if that doesn't work out. My oldest dd had #'s figured out and could count and write to well, as high as I would let her, at a very early age. She figured out the original 1-100 from playing Chutes and Ladders and went from there. She used to drive my sister crazy on car trips counting as high as she could non stop. :) So for her, jumping into math in K was easy.

But my current K-er had just figured out 1-10 well during preK age 4, and could count to about 17 before we started K. It has been a big process to be able to help her count to 100, and she still gets messed up when switching from say 49 to 50 or 59 to 60. Somewhere in there she just keeps wanting to jump to 90 LOL. Writing them on her own couldn't happen w/out help. We just keep working at it.

I guess just keep in mind that all kids are different at when they get these things.

:iagree:about being flexible with the writing numbers and letters and also the counting. My 5 y.o. can't count to 100 yet, and he definitely can't write all those numbers. That's okay with me, I'd much rather he understand the concept of 100, that it is 10 tens, than just be writing the numerals and counting.

Also, time and money are generally considered K concepts as well. Don't be surprised if your dd can't tell analog time or understand money by 5. We just started money in our K math book yesterday and ds still chose to take the 2 pennies over the 1 nickel because, hey, there were two :tongue_smilie:!

Don't forget that now is a great time to teach yourself those things that were gaps in your own education. I'm self-teaching latin, and will probably start some intensive grammar soon. Those are topics that I need a refresher on, before teaching my child more in-depth. HTH!

I think the counting and writing numbers to 100 is pretty ambitious. You might want to scale that back to 30 or something, since that is a first grade skill (mastered around 6, generally). I'd worry more about 1-to-1 correspondence (like 1 is one block, one cookie, etc.) Also, with teaching the ABCs, make sure you teach her the sounds for each letter. IMO, that is more important than knowing the names of them. I also agree with the PPs about reading loads of different kinds of books.

I would definitely mix in some gross motor skills goals. One of my goals for Ariel was to learn to swim, and to use the slides and other playground equipment confidently without help. (Swinging alone and monkey bars took until a little after age 5, though.)

I know this has been and will continue to be said but just make sure your goals are realistic to your dd. My dd1 was ready to start OPG by age 2ish, a math curriculum by age 2.5ish and not really able to write well until age 3ish. I know others who were writing well before they were reading and others who were doing 2nd grade math before they were able to read well. It doesn't all have to even out (it doesn't for the VAST majority of us) - that's what ps tries to do and it doesn't work for them either...

I know this has been and will continue to be said but just make sure your goals are realistic to your dd. My dd1 was ready to start OPG by age 2ish, a math curriculum by age 2.5ish and not really able to write well until age 3ish. I know others who were writing well before they were reading and others who were doing 2nd grade math before they were able to read well.

Yes, make it tailored to your dd, but I do want to stress that waiting for development or formal learning (or starting later with adjusted goals) does not mean a child won't catch up or accelerate in certain subjects and/or school in general later on. Education is a marathon and not a sprint.

My best friend graduates this year from Stanford Medical School as a Nephrologist, is profoundly gifted, had perfect SAT scores, and did not learn to read until age 7. Prior to that, she was not doing "reading lessons" she was playing with their bunnies and messing around with the zipline and swingset in the backyard.

Each mom is the the best judge for their child and he/she will be ready for at what age, and there are a variety of philosophies about when & how to start. There are many different ways to reach the same end goal of a well-educated child.

I sometimes feel like early formal education/acceleration is promoted on this board, and it is definitely not right for everyone (and it probably is right for some, and that's okay too :)!).

about being flexible with the writing numbers and letters and also the counting. My 5 y.o. can't count to 100 yet, and he definitely can't write all those numbers. That's okay with me, I'd much rather he understand the concept of 100, that it is 10 tens, than just be writing the numerals and counting.

Also, time and money are generally considered K concepts as well.

:iagree:In PS K, my DD wrote all of her numbers to 100. One time, and she copied the whole thing. That is what they mean when that is listed as one of the goals. For money, she was expected to recognize the different coins, that was all. No counting or comparing. This was in K, not preschool.

I like the goals for art, music, and reading, reading reading lots of books.

The learning the letters, and numbers for my kids, came through reading books and signs, the cereal box, helping me dial numbers on the telephone, etc., all without much effort. It has taken until 4.5-5 for two of my kids to know all of the letter sounds, even though I've talked about them since they were little.

I'd add phonological awareness games to your list.

You might also want to check out Charlotte Mason's first volume, "Home Education". You can read it for free at amblesideonline.org. Even if you don't end up using her ideas for school aged children, this book is wonderful for preschoolers. It helped me get outside the "academic box" of what was important for young children to learn, and helped me see all the other skills that were foundational to the academics that come later. So rather than learn how to write numbers to 100, which will be easily learned at age 5 or 6 or 7, you take them outside and learn to observe nature in great detail. Talk about shades of color, similarities and differences, describe scenes, learn names of local birds, trees, and flowers. Anyway, it's very interesting, and also talks about positive ways to instill good habits in children.

Have you seen the Totally Tots blog and the Tot School stuff at the 1+1+1= 1 blog?

http://1plus1plus1equals1.blogspot.com/2008/06/tot-school.html

She has some fun ideas. There are free resources at the Letter of the Week website too. But don't feel that you have to do anything formal, they might just have some fun ideas for activities and play time. I have just seen those sites and think they look fun, but I don't have a toddler or preschooler. It goes too fast...

Oh yeah, this is my "ideal" but i will take her cues on a lot of it. I will check out Slow and Steady. The money just recognize that there is paper money and coin money not necessarily being able to identify it or count it regularly. I totally forgot skip counting. :) And we read read read alot too