Menu

11yo just got braces - Is it worthwhile to buy a Waterpik?

My 11yo just got her top braces today. Is it worth it to buy a Waterpik? Of my three kids, she is the one who generally has the hardest time with brushing. She hasn't had a cavity since she was 7yo (but her teeth were so crowded then that I doubt even the most diligent would have managed).

I think it would make things a lot easier and help to keep her from getting cavities, but it is $50. It has a lot of positive reviews, over 1000 so far.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GLRREU/ref=s9_simp_gw_s0_p364_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=01K0G8QC5HANWTP1046M&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

My 11yo just got her top braces today. Is it worth it to buy a Waterpik? Of my three kids, she is the one who generally has the hardest time with brushing. She hasn't had a cavity since she was 7yo (but her teeth were so crowded then that I doubt even the most diligent would have managed).

I think it would make things a lot easier and help to keep her from getting cavities, but it is $50. It has a lot of positive reviews, over 1000 so far.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GLRREU/ref=s9_simp_gw_s0_p364_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=01K0G8QC5HANWTP1046M&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

:bigear:

Actually, I was considering that $200 Rotodent for ds. He is being diligent with his braces but it is really challenging to keep his mouth clean and not irritate the gums and wearing away enamel from too much brushing.

But hey if Watepik does the trick, I'll go with that.

Yes, IMHO, it's worth it, especially since others in the family can use it as well. It comes with several attachment -at least the one I had over twenty years ago did - :tongue_smilie:

I found it a great tool in keeping my teeth clean while having the braces on. Food particles stick on every little wire, every nook & cranny. The water pressure of the pik blasts everything out. I had no cavities when my braces came off which the dentist found worthy of mentioning. Evidently many kids do because they cannot sufficiently clean around all the appliances.

My son used a Sonicare when he had braces at 10 and it worked like a charm. Both boys got braces on today (of all things), the second time for the older one and last night for Chanukah they got new Sonicares (the cheaper kind for kids, like $25).

Hmmm, I might have to look into that, also. My DS has done a fabulous job so far with just regular brushing and diligent flossing with the special orthodontic flossers that we buy from the orthodontist. Every time he goes, we hear how great he's doing taking care of them. BUT, it's a lot of work for him, and he's really particular about flossing, sometimes numerous times a day. DD will be joining him soon, if she would just grow a bit,:glare: and she'll be the one who hurries through teeth/braces care. She also loves the Sonicare.

Is the Waterpik really easier on tooth enamel? DS has weak enamel due to medications he took during infancy and toddlerhood. I wonder if I could get him to switch a couple of his brushings to Waterpikings?:)

I use a oral breeze too, but I got this one http://www.amazon.com/ShowerBreeze-Hose-Water-Dental-Irrigator/dp/B000COCAZM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1260841226&sr=1-3

It is for the shower. Took about 5 minutes to install. I use this with a sonic care tooth brush and they work really well. I really love the oral breeze. I bought one for my dad for Christmas last year and he loves it now too.

holly

I use a oral breeze too, but I got this one http://www.amazon.com/ShowerBreeze-Hose-Water-Dental-Irrigator/dp/B000COCAZM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1260841226&sr=1-3

It is for the shower. Took about 5 minutes to install. I use this with a sonic care tooth brush and they work really well. I really love the oral breeze. I bought one for my dad for Christmas last year and he loves it now too.

holly

That's interesting. So I'm assuming you're using pretty warm water!

Calvin has had braces for about six months. He uses an ordinary tooth brush, and I help him out by using an inter-dental brush under the braces and along the gum line (he is dyspraxic and finds getting into the corners hard to coordinate). His orthodontist is delighted with the cleanliness of his teeth.

Laura