Menu

I need to make a homemade ornament

Sigh. I am very uncrafty. I can't sew, knit, crochet, glue gun, whatever! I'm all thumbs! So I have this group of lovely women friends who are artsy-craftsy sorts and they decided to do an ornament exchange and they included me. I have successfully put this out of my head until now when I realized that I had better come up with something so I can participate. Does anyone have any ideas for making a very simple, easy but classy looking homemade Christmas tree ornament? My idea of making an ornament is taking a lid from a tin can, gluing old cut out Christmas cards on it and then gluing a ribbon around the edges. But that's what I did in 4th grade... :tongue_smilie:

So any advice is most welcomed! Thanks

Sigh. I am very uncrafty. I can't sew, knit, crochet, glue gun, whatever! I'm all thumbs! So I have this group of lovely women friends who are artsy-craftsy sorts and they decided to do an ornament exchange and they included me. I have successfully put this out of my head until now when I realized that I had better come up with something so I can participate. Does anyone have any ideas for making a very simple, easy but classy looking homemade Christmas tree ornament? My idea of making an ornament is taking a lid from a tin can, gluing old cut out Christmas cards on it and then gluing a ribbon around the edges. But that's what I did in 4th grade... :tongue_smilie:

So any advice is most welcomed! Thanks

Get some clear glass balls and some craft paint. Take the top of the glass ball, put drops of paint inside, and swirl them around. Makes a very pretty ornament!

OH! I know!

Try these cinnamon ornaments. Use the first recipe, and make stars, bells or little gingerbread men. They are super easy--make sure they are thick enough but not too thick. They smell good, last, look classy--use pretty fabric ribbon to make a hanger. Should take all of 20 minutes to make a bunch, not including drying time.

You can make beautiful German Stars with heavy quality wrapping paper. It may take a few practice tries, but once you get it, you get it!!! Very pretty and traditional. You could add some very fine glitter (Martha Stewart glitter is truly beautiful - available at Michael's).

If you read my blog post about it you'll see examples and a video with directions. Here are written directions.

I was going to say what Judo mom said! These are the prettiest ornaments on our tree!!! After you pour the different colors of paint inside the glass bulb, set them (hole facing down) in a paper cup so the excess paint can drain out. They dry pretty quickly, and come out beautiful!! Try lots of different color combos, to see your favorite!! Or stick with basic holiday colors. Silver looks pretty with everything, almost!!!