Menu

Pi birthday party?

DS7 is turning 8 on New Year's Eve and wants a pi birthday party. I need ideas!

First of all, what day would you have the party on?

Do you have any ideas for turning a small, at home, birthday party into a pi themed party? I was thinking of making chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting and writing 3.14 on them in white and them arranging them into the shape of the symbol. But what else can I do?

Do I worry that most, if not all of, the guests will not know what pi is?

Do you have any ideas for turning a small, at home, birthday party into a pi themed party? I was thinking of making chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting and writing 3.14 on them in white and them arranging them into the shape of the symbol. But what else can I do?

You'll need to put it off until March 14. :001_smile:

ETA:

List the time of the party as 3:14 pm.

Note on the invitation what pi is.

http://www.piacrossamerica.org/

Edited by gardening momma

My son is a Pi boy (b.day is 3.14) and we have Pi Day birthdays for him with PIE!!! I make all kinds of PIE! He LOVES PIE. We have pizza Pie and apple...peach...pumpkin and chocolate cream. For the younger crowd....one time, I had them all make pies in patty pans...bake and eat. That was fun.

You can make t-shirts w/ the pi symbol if you are crafty (I am never that enthusiastic a party thrower) You could go with the symbol on place cards, knapkins, maybe draw them on a white table cloth with circles and the pi sign in it.

Is that what you were looking for?? Enjoy your pie day!!!

How about pin the tail on the Pi and give a prize to the kid who knows the most digits of pi at the end of the party. (Have it written out in various places to 10 places, but don't say anything...see which kid is the most observant!)

~~Faithe

Guest Virginia Dawn

Time of party: 3:14 p.m.

Pi(e) instead of cake?

Cheap calculators, rulers or tape measures, mechanical pencils for favors? A Pi activity that lets everyone discover what pi is by dividing a circumference of something by the diameter, using their calculators.

Pizza?

Maybe get a copy of the book "Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi (A Math Adventure) by Cindy Neuschwander, as a gift. I haven't read it, but perhaps it has some ideas you might do as party activities? A review says it's the story of a boy that must use math to save his father.

Erica in OR

I was going to suggest this book too. Would be a fun read at the party.

great ideas so far!

I bet my 12yo would like a Pi party.....

if you do a search for "Pi day activities" you'll find LOTS of cool ideas to incorporate.

his fave Pi song:

Oh, number Pi

Oh, number Pi

Your digits are unending,

Oh, number Pi

Oh, number Pi

No pattern are you sending.

You're three point one four one five nine,

And even more if we had time,

Oh, number Pi

Oh, number Pi

For circle lengths unbending.

Oh, number Pi

Oh, number Pi

You are a number very sweet,

Oh, number Pi

Oh, number Pi

Your uses are so very neat.

There's 2 Pi r and Pi r squared,

A half a circle and you're there,

Oh, number Pi

Oh, number Pi

We know that Pi's a tasty treat.

(to the tune of "Oh Christmas Tree")

If I didn't have any plans for New Year's Eve (and I never do :glare:), I would have the party on New Year's Eve and let the girls (try to) stay up to watch the new year in. I think that would be lots of fun and be nice for the parents to maybe get a night out!

Second the ideas about having pie instead of cake. How about Pizza Pi for dinner?

Here's a kid's recipe for making apple pies. This could be something the kids could make with your help.

Apple pie filling

2 tsp cinnamon

flour tortillas

1/4 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350

Spray cookie sheet with non-stick spray.

Pour apple pie filling into a bowl. Cut the applies into small pieces. Add cinnamon.

Put 2 TBL filling into center of tortillas. Fold the ends and roll it up. Place it seam side down on cookie sheet.

Bake 8-10 minutes, or until light brown. Let cool for 15 minutes.

While they cool, add a few drops of water to powdered sugar. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Spoon over the apple pies.