Menu

Seeking ideas for active play gift for 6yo ds.

I considered Moon Shoes, but the recommendation is for ages 7 and up. He's pretty coordinated and loves to jump, but I didn't know if he would be big enough to use them yet. I'd welcome feedback on that.

Otherwise, I'm looking for something active he could do inside during the winter. We already have a mini-trampoline (although it has to stay outside because of space). I'm getting him some stomp rockets for outside. We have sledding gear, but I'm considering a tube for the snow. I'm trying to think of something that doesn't take up too much space inside but would provide some energy-burning activity during the winter months. Thanks for any ideas!

This CD:

http://www.amazon.com/about-Cartoons-Johann-Sebastian-Bach/dp/B000001GKU

and some dress up gear that includes a cape led to a lot of serious dancing and running about the house. Kiddo also had that reaction to John Philips Sousa music.

If the house has a stairs things can roll down, light plastic balls about the size of a croquet ball, about 20, can be rolled down and brought back up endlessly.

This is what worked for us.

An old-fashioned alternative to moon shoes:

take 2 large, empty coffee tins and some string. Poke 2 holes in each tin to run the stings thru. Have dc stand on the bottom part of the tins while you measure the string so you can make sure you're getting it the right length. He can walk around (on the bottoms of the cans) wearing the cans and holding onto the strings. It's like making some stilts, and the strings are handle that help him hold on/keep his balance/keep the cans on his feet.

I remember playing with these when I was really little, so I'm sure it's be fine for a 6 yo.

Edited by SeekingSimplicity

Our BEST Christmas gift last year was a pull up bar. We put up two sets of brackets - one up high for my husband, and one much lower for the girls. It means adults have to duck to walk into our living room (unless we remove it for people coming over), but the girls swing on it ALL the time.

For this year, Catherine is getting a wedge gymnastics mat. Good for playing.

We have most of our beds on the floor, including our king sized one. Kids jump on the bed a lot. They do a lot of fort building and jumping off of chairs into bean bags. I use masking tape and they try to do long jumps and beat their distance. Sometimes make hopscotch with masking tape.

Hop balls are super fun. And large balls that you roll on, sit on, do push ups on.

Grandma has an indoor hammock swing. That gets a lot of use.

DD has a pair of moon shoes from last Christmas. I found them at a yard sale, and am glad I didn't pay full price for them. I don't like to let her use them in the house due to the force they clump down on the wood floors. She took them outside today on the frozen lawn, but they haven't gotten a lot of use this past year.

Erica in oR

A hopper ball

Yes, this.

My two boys each got one last year for Christmas, and I don't think we've had a day since that they haven't used them. They have races, use them as horses and pirate ships for battles, and sometimes just bounce around like loons. I don't know what we did without them. :tongue_smilie:

-Andrea

Alex(7) & Ian(4)

I considered Moon Shoes, but the recommendation is for ages 7 and up. He's pretty coordinated and loves to jump, but I didn't know if he would be big enough to use them yet. I'd welcome feedback on that.

Otherwise, I'm looking for something active he could do inside during the winter. We already have a mini-trampoline (although it has to stay outside because of space). I'm getting him some stomp rockets for outside. We have sledding gear, but I'm considering a tube for the snow. I'm trying to think of something that doesn't take up too much space inside but would provide some energy-burning activity during the winter months. Thanks for any ideas!

My daughter wanted moon shoes so badly she saved her money for them. Big bust here. They were hard to use and had no bounce. A pogo stick was a huge hit, but not so much on ground that can be slippery. The flybar maverick is only about $25 and goes up to 80 pounds. Ours has lasted with the original tip through 3 kids and 8 years so far. We had to upgrade to the flybar foam master last christmas because my oldest teen finally passed 80 pounds, LOL

My kids also love stilts, but that is more coordination than energy burn.