Menu

If 7th grader wasn't reading well.....

ABQmom

What would you do? I have a friend whose children attended public school until they were going into 5th and 6th grades. They were failing in math and reading below grade level. They are quiet, well-behave children whom I expect were being pushed through the system because of a lack of anyone that had the time to help them. They didn't qualify for special ed.

My friend is struggling with homeschooling I think largely because she doesn't know how to help her children. Her dd especially needs help with reading skills. My friend has gone from one curriculum to another in search of something that works. She is currently using Alpha Omega and says her 7th grade dd is to read The Hiding Place next for a lit assignment!

I am at a loss for how to help her or what to suggest. What could anyone suggest that she do? Is there some way she could test their skills (money is scarce) and is there some type of remedial program she could use to help them? She seems determined to buy their grade level when in fact they are below grade level. However, because of her recent frustration, I think she is realizing their need--just doesn't know how to help it. I think she feels uneducated herself although I know she could learn right along with the kids just fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

She should have her dc do a vocabulary program - they MUST read the words aloud to HER to make sure they know how to pronounce the words (if not google it) and study those words.

Have her dc read aloud everyday to her even if it's just a few pages - start with one page then increase as they get better (get 2 copies of the book). Take turns reading aloud parent/child.

Assign books a bit below reading level and with every new book up the reading level and or book length.

Read The Hiding Place aloud as a family w/ each person taking turns reading a page.

If money is tight, I'd suggest Webster's Syllabry as recommended by ElizabethB here on the board. She has it as a free download and instructions on her site. It's helping my son quite a bit.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/webstersway.html

(I hope ElizabethB doesn't mind me posting her link. :blushing: We've really enjoyed her site.)

Good luck,

My 7th grader was just taken out of ps. We used REWARDS by Sopris West with much success. He jumped up a few grade levels. Along with REWARDS, we used the Blend Phonics Reader by Don Potter and reviewed phonograms daily.

I am not sure what level your friends dc are reading or what their weaknesses are. But, I have found that the more explicit and repetitious the program is (read:scripted), the more success we have.

Other successes:

Math Mammoth to catch up in basic math facts.

Spelling Through Morphographs, Megawords, copywork every day, WWE, Junior Analytical Grammar, reading aloud every day for around 45 minutes.

eta: We also used Reading Horizon's free "online workshop" trial and I really liked it. The entire program is probably fabulous. They always have discounts; if you need one, I can check my email for a code.

Good luck to your friend. :grouphug:

I would buy three cheap paperback copies of an engaging, decently written, older book. Then every day, first thing, I would read it to the kids, calling on them to pick up where I left off pretty often. That way they would have to follow along as I read. I would also correct their pronounciation as they went along, and talk about the vocabulary in context.

A good book for this might be "Cheaper By The Dozen". It's innocuous, funny, a bit old-fashioned, and written with proper grammar.

That is where I would start.

Each day I would ask one of them to summarize (verbally) what we had read so far, before starting.

I would do the same thing with at least one-two other subjects--maybe the Bible and science, or the Bible and history. I would continue that pattern until I saw noticable improvement in the reading skills, or started to notice persistent patterns in mistakes. Then I would remediate those, specifically, seeking help here if I wasn't sure how to do so.

I would also back up to copywork, and do that without fail, every day.

The only other subject that I would start with would be math.

I would continue with just those until I felt that things were under control.

If money is tight, I'd suggest Webster's Syllabry as recommended by ElizabethB here on the board. She has it as a free download and instructions on her site. It's helping my son quite a bit.

(I hope ElizabethB doesn't mind me posting her link. :blushing: We've really enjoyed her site.)

Good luck,

:iagree:Who needs phonics? Phonics lessons for remediating

My dd was reading below grade level when we brought her home in 7th grade, too and she's now at or above grade level. Here's what we did:

1. Rewards program by Sopris West (if money is an issue and she can't find a cheap used copy of Rewards, Evan Moore makes a remedial phonics book that is much less expensive and very similar)

2. Copywork/dictation

3. I had her read books above, at, and below her grade level and got them on audio from the library whenever possible. I made her listen along to them while she was reading so she could hear the word as she was reading it.

4. Spelling Workout books C-F

5. She was required to read to me for at least 5 minutes per day, so I could hear her and she could hear herself.

I figured out that most of her problem was phonics-they teach them sight words in school, so she never learned how to break a word down. She was taking the first part of word and the ending and make up her own middle.

Tell your friend not to give up. I know it's hard right now, but this is the best thing she can do for her children. Especially if she's planning on sending them back to ps at some point.

Edited by LunaLee

There's a lady in Colorado that I hear is great with reading diagnosis. I've heard that people actually travel to her.... to have her help... because in a few hours she can do "wonders". Also, I know that people like Wanda Sanserri (sp?) can evaluate and help along. I would go to someone who had serious knowledge of reading issues and solving them.

Carrie:-)

Good luck,

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I would use ElizabethB's site as the first choice as well as her phonics and spelling lessons plus Webster's Speller.

Another top choice would be Don Potter's site:

http://www.donpotter.net/education_pages/

I would use both sites:)

Man you guys are great. I'm guessing her youngest is struggling with both phonics and comprehension. Her oldest, I don't know, but I would imagine is having similar struggles. It's hard to know what to tell someone when I've been doing this from the beginning and my dc haven't struggled with reading. Thanks again for the continued suggestions.

Remediate reading possibly using REWARDS (or something at a lower level if necessary). Continue with content areas at grade level by reading *everything* aloud.

The DORA is a good online reading test. It costs about $20, which is very inexpensive compared to a professional evaluation.

• 4 weeks later...